Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thales Martins
Brazil
Florianópolis
Santa Catarina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was checking thedicetower site, and they say Duel of Age, is a must have, what do you think of the game??
And I am not really into fantasy, like witchs, wizards, monster etc...should I buy it??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try it before you buy it. I enjoyed playing it, but it really is more of a video game brought to cardboard. With the right group of people it is a blast, but if you have munchkins(1) in your group it can get tedious.

(1) gamers whose idea of fun is more about making the best character or maximizing one power/ability rather than playing the actual game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a buddy who bought it because of Tom's passion for it, but it is a game for certain types of people, who love rolling dice, and he doesn't play it much. If you like everything that Tom likes, then try it out. Otherwise, take his reviews with a grain of salt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd play it more if it got a component upgrade. But no, it's not a must-have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As an early, impressionable gamer I got suckered into Tom's opinion and bought it, then bought more expansions because surely *they* would make the game fun. Couldn't get into the chits, and the promise of the "wacky fun" of Billy the Kid driving a tank never panned out. Try before you buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
It's ok, but doesn't do much for me. Fine if you like the genre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

DOA is one of my favorite games. Like waaaay up there.

But based on you saying this:

"I am not really into fantasy, like witchs, wizards, monster etc...should I buy it??"

I would have to say no.
It isn't exactly that theme but it is close.

Great game though. Duel of Ages is fun, fast and exciting and provides a good mix of strategy and classic gaming that that combines elements of role-playing, adventure gaming, ameritrash, collectible card games, wargames and cooperative games...Especially recommended for conventions and tournaments because it is perfect when you have an exact amount of time to play (ie - 3 hours) since the game ends based upon a timer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's certainly not for everybody - especially considering the broad tastes of this site. There are a few games I would recommend to anyone who plays boardgames, but Duel of Ages isn't one of them. It's crunchy, with lots of bits and cards and it has a mess of a fantasy / sci-fi theme that will turn away people who don't enjoy that kind of thing.

All that said, if you enjoy time-traveling heroes from ages past and future battling it out on giant hex grids, then by all means - give it a try. It's a fun game, and one I'm likely to play several times more.

But a "must have"? Lord, no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heliconia wrote:
I'd play it more if it got a component upgrade. But no, it's not a must-have.

I mounted the character pieces on hex-shaped tessel tiles ( http://www.homesew.com/IC280.html ) and always use a sheet of plexiglass to make game play much more enjoyable.

Those tiles come in very handy for gaming use. And they are very cheap. I bought 10 bags and have used the pieces for markers etc with many, many games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kozlowski
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
I, uh, guess I had a lot of geekgold?
mbmbmbmbmb
thalescnm wrote:
I was checking thedicetower site, and they say Duel of Age, is a must have, what do you think of the game??

So of course, the more people you get responding to you, the more likely you are to get convergence to the BGG consensus expressed in its rating, which is that it's a decent but not great game. The question you ought to have is whether you have reason to trust Tom Vasel's tastes more than the BGG consensus.

Since the other two games in his top three are Heroscape and Descent, and you don't like fantasy, I think it's fair to say that your tastes don't match up particularly well to his.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Herbst
United States
Sayville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the consensus here. It is by no means a must have kind of game. I recently bought the whole kit and kaboodle as I played it and enjoyed it enough to be thinking about our game for days after. The game itself seems to have some problems to me but it is fairly unique and I think it has the potential to be a lot of fun with different groups. Try before you buy is particularly appropriate here as others have noted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin long
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definately a must have if you have a collection. It fills a big hole in mine. My greatest gaming moments are in this unique game. But as stated here, the components aren't Fantasy Flight. Try before you buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LOLDiceTower

No
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokelau
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its not a bad game...but I find it best with only 2 players. If you play regularly with more than two then I wouldn't buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it's a must-have for me.

We all have opinions...

It is my #1 game for a reason.

That being said, how could anyone really know it it's a must-have for you...

If you have a like-minded, regular opponent, that can dive into the spirit of the game like you do, then it's a blast! So many different games of this have been played; no other game has offered as wide a range of fun as this one.

Most games of all my other Top 10s always have a similar feel. I love Ra, but every game is somewhat similar...somewhat.
Power Grid? Super-fantastic...but, on each map, it's a somewhat familiar experience.
Caylus? Awesome-sauce. But, it's generally a pretty similar game each time.

All of the above is meant generally...there are exceptions!

Duel of Ages?! EVERY game is different...varied...a puzzle to unlock, so to speak.

How do I make this team work well together?
How do I take advantage of that terrain?
How do I manage those Towers?
How should I compensate for having no Future personalities?
How, how, how?

It's the shiz-nit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Duel of Ages.

But a must have?

For me - yes.

For everyone - probably not. Sounds like you wouldn't like it (OP).

But at the same time, I couldn't care less what the BGG consensus thinks - it's a wonderful game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Gadgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, a game of Duel of Ages is a dive into a flow of ever changing tactical situations, of taming the chaotic long enough to gain an edge over your opponent. On top of that, I love the theme. My favorite game.

It is also a game that I bought and left on the shelf for over a year, because I played it twice with just the basic game and far too few characters to the chosen board area. It looked nice, but lacked interaction. Guidelines for the size of the game was added in an expansion, and hitting the sweet spot there is no lack of interaction.

It is also a game that needed a sheet of plexiglass to keep the badly warping board elements in place. A game that I've spent hours on, sleeving cards, glueing board elements onto thicker cardboard and cutting them out to make the components more joyous to use. The sheet of plexiglass is no longer needed.

Duel of Ages is definetely not everyone's idea of a great game.
I think it could have appealed to more with better setup guidance in the base game (before the Master's Addendum came out) and without the production glitch with the board elements.

However if the theme doesn't appeal to you, it's definetely not a must have for you. There is a wonderous game underneath the hood if you like making lots of short term tactical decisions and figuring out odds, but the theme is everywhere and from your post I'd chance the guess that you wouldn't enjoy it so much.

All a matter of taste, and luckily there are a lot of good games to chose from
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen
United Kingdom
Burton on trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a must have.

Its an interesting idea, but with a somewhat muddy artificial feeling theme and poor quality components that make it hard work to play and even harder to enjoy playing.

Get the high quality remake, if they ever make one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.