Subject: Dealing with zillions of components...? (Grr at Arkham Horror!!) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eilidh Hyslop
United Kingdom
Dundee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked up Arkham Horror, and was rather irritated to find that it came with 200 or so tiny cardboard components but with no divisions whatsoever in the box!

As I expected, after carefully putting the components in piles by type, as soon as I re-opened the box, they were all mixed up and everywhere.

This seems like a particularly bad example, but, in cases like this - what do you do to organise your boardgame bits?

Homemade crappily constructed bits of cardboard dividers? or possibly small plastic bags? - no elegant solutions have come to mind...

(Also, boardgame publishers who do this - SCREW YOU! - it is annoying as all hell, and I honestly don't see why you're too lazy to just make a nice box! Especially given how beautifully divided up the boxes are for Dominion and Small World - it can obviously be done. And given that Arkham Horror was a pretty premium price already, I didn't expect the box to be so shitty. yuk )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eetu Vuokko
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
I has a monocle!
badge
Ah, a brand new monocle.
mbmbmbmbmb
I use small plastic bags, like minigrip or similar, that can be easily closed and opened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Nicholls
United Kingdom
Redruth
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
you can get fishing tackle boxes with little dividers which you can adjust as you wish.. ebay has them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Grey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For games with many parts like this, I use Plano plastic fishing boxes to hold everything. They make like, a bazillion different sizes and shapes with just the right compartment to hold your particular game parts right.

Makes everything much easier. Although sometimes you've got to remove the game liner. Just keep it in the closet in case you need it later (for selling/trading the game)

I've got Plano boxes for games like Runebound, Doom, Space Hulk, etc....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is your dream come true....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely recommend the "tackle-box" style of organization.

Funny that you mention Small World.

The Small World box looks awesome, until you get the expansions and realize that you have to hack the bits into place somehow.

I solved that one with this Plano 3750 box just a few days ago:

You can get those online or at places like Walmart pretty cheaply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Because with something like Arkham there are TOO MANY pieces to be able to make a box that actually fits in the box. I made a separate carrying case for the pieces and I keep the people and GOOs and boards in the box...this includes expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
For AH, remove the included component holder, and go to Walmart's craft section... pick up some of the baggies there and also one or two of the "craft accessory" holder cases. With two of those cases and several bags, I can fit all of the base game, all of Innsmouth's stuff and some other cards/components from other expansions in the base game box, and it's relatively easy to get it all setup and put away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neon Joe, Werewolf He-yump
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Yep, the little bead sorter boxes and/or tackle boxes are the way to go for Arkham. If you want it to all fit back in the box, self-sealing baggies from a craft store with beading supplies will do the job

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
I often go with bags. For AH, I use a Plano case. It's a great way to go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
For AH, remove the included component holder, and go to Walmart's craft section... pick up some of the baggies there and also one or two of the "craft accessory" holder cases. With two of those cases and several bags, I can fit all of the base game, all of Innsmouth's stuff and some other cards/components from other expansions in the base game box, and it's relatively easy to get it all setup and put away.

I think this is a really nice solution.

On every trip to Wal-Mart, I stop and pick up some bead sorters. I have a bunch of 7, 12, & 20 section ones on hand for all "new arrivals" to the game collection. (I just have base AH, so the 7-compartment one works fine for the little tokens that you are dipping into throughout the game. Monster and gate tokens are in baggies.)

I think if you give these cases a go, you will be pleased. I must have about 30 of them now in various games. Stone Age, Agricola, Hannibal, Middle Earth Quest, Kingsburg....anything with tokens just about gets one of these cases. (Just organized Tikal this morning into one of them.) At less than $2 a pop, I don't think you can go wrong.

Good luck.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Nowadays, I use ziplock bags and small tupperware-like boxes.

The tupperware boxes contain the common resources for a game. Money, the clue tokens, hearts and brains in AH, and so on. You can just take them out of the box, open them, put them on the table, and they're ready.

Other stuff goes in ziplock bags. If there is stuff that the player needs at the start, I try to put everything for one player in one single ziplock bag. Just hand the players their own bags, and again you're ready to go.

I found that this storage method generally leads to a shorter set-up time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Linman
United States
Allen
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another possibility is to go to a drugstore (I forget how to say that in British) and get some of the "weekly pill organizer" things with 7 or 14 small plastic compartments. You might also check in the wargame forum; wargames are the ultimate in lots of small cardboard components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like pretty dice
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
There is no such thing as a model or ideal Canadian. What could be more absurd than the concept of an "all Canadian" boy or girl? A society which emphasizes uniformity is one which creates intolerance and hate. Pierre Elliott Trudeau
mbmbmbmbmb
Varus wrote:
Another possibility is to go to a drugstore (I forget how to say that in British)

Chemist?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommi
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like many others, I have my AH and Dunwich expansions pieces on a "small" plastic-organizer with plenty of compartments.

To be honest though, this hasnt helped as much as I wanted it to. Setup and cleaning after is still extremely tedious and I find myself not so keen to play it very often. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
U Majuran
United Kingdom
Doncaster
S. Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Tasty or your money back
mbmbmbmbmb
For just the arkham horror base game, I throw out the insert and use a chessex counter tray (I've got a load left over for wargame pieces so I'm using them all up). Fishing tackle boxes/craft boxes with lots of compartments are also useful

A couple of quick uploads later (forgive the lighting - it's after midnight here),

Arkham Horror Base Game in Chessex Counter Tray- thinner, lighter and more likely to fit into smaller boxes, even when you stack 2 or 3 trays on top of each other. These ones in particular are love it or hate it forms of storage so to start with only buy one or 2.

Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear in craft box(thicker pieces, also useful for games with wooden cubes or the like such as power grid)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As you're in the UK you can get storage boxes with 4 trays, with 15 slots in each from Argos (about £11). I use these for most of my games. They are heavier duty than the stiff plastic fishing boxes but they are great for storage as I have a few of them stacked. I just pull the tray out for the game I'm playing. The lid also locks into place which stops any components getting damp or whatever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
U Majuran
United Kingdom
Doncaster
S. Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Tasty or your money back
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't see you were in the UK - those craft storage boxes are £2 each from 'The Works' stores (who were stocking them 3 months ago)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eilidh Hyslop
United Kingdom
Dundee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm from Dundee - I think we still have a Works store just along the road! Thankyou kindly

(And thanks all for the multitude of ideas!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
* As an erstwhile CCG player, I use plastic deck holders for cards and even dice. I tossed out the insert, and use one deck holder in each corner of the box, which helps store the board flat.

* The monsters go into a good-sized drawstring bag.

* Counters go into a 15-space tackle box.

* Remember to buy more dice. 15 dice is a good number for this game.

* Personally, I only play one expansion at a time. The big box expansions should have space to store a smaller one. I also move bits around (eg. AO's with special cardboard bits get moved out of the main box).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Mawson
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gandalftheking wrote:
you can get fishing tackle boxes with little dividers which you can adjust as you wish.. ebay has them

Wilkinsons £3.99

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IrishFire Herself
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm amused you held up Small World as a standard. That little divided box made me CRAZY! I finally dumped out the bits and put them into very small ziplock bags I found at a craft store. It was $6.50 for 250 bags, but would have been $3 if I'd remembered my coupon.

The pile o bags is not attractive inside the box, but the second I lifted the lid off, my equally frustrated gaming friends gasped, marveled for a moment, and then lauded my solution. In this case, at least, function beat the living daylights out of form.

I'm using the same small bags for the button-pawns I'm using for a homemade game, where they curiously look much more attractive. Five clear bags in a draw bag of tiles are far more aesthetic than several dozen crammed into a box!

I am so anti-bits that I refuse to play Cleopatra, and heave a long sigh over Small World. Small World is sufficiently wonderful to justify the absurd number of cardboard chits, but it certainly makes me appreciate the simplicity of Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, and their ilk!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher KrackerJack
United States
Portsmouth
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Go to the files section and download the tuckbox pdf. Problem solved. I have the original AH and all expansions but Innsmouth in two boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Norris

Austin
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that everytime I buy a FFG game I also head out to Academy for a new tackle box. Just did that with Descent and RtL, in that games case I got two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.