Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Phénix
Canada
Laval
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simply put a lot of weak kingdom cards that don't interact well with each other. People will simply do the Big Money strategy which involves pretty much only buying Silver, then Gold and finally Provinces. Since the strategy is extremely basic and (too much) efficient, the game will end up fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do you think knowing the 'good combos' will shorten the game?

I think Witch + Throne Room is a great combination, but it can make the game go a lot slower because of the number of curses in players' decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bobgresh wrote:
What card combos play the fastest?

Playing without attacks speeds things up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Goldthorpe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Remove the attack cards and your games will go faster. They'll be a lot less interesting though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Martin
England
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bobgresh wrote:
I'm looking to shorten the play time of a Dominion game.

Because its ten-minute play time is just way too long for your ADHD friends?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sargent
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Try playing with as many Provinces as the number of players +1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Play more Inis
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisjwmartin wrote:
bobgresh wrote:

You do realize Dominion's wide appeal draws in players of all types right? This includes people who don't run BSW-speed games.

The OP could want a shorter game for any number of reasons. What does it matter what his reason is if you're not going to add to the thread? There's plenty of places on the internet to be jackass. Let's not make this another one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Hayden
United States
Amelia
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Treasure Map and Tactician make for a fast game. Explorer helps too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also looking for a way to make Twinkies less nutritious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
Plaatsvervangende Schaamte
badge
mbmbmb
bobgresh wrote:

What do you find slows you down most in playing Dominion? Also, do you have a target time (e.g. less than 15 minutes)?

Understanding what is taking the longest can help people make the most targeted and helpful optimization suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Swan
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shuffle faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Martin
England
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JonPrud wrote:
bobgresh wrote:

What do you find slows you down most in playing Dominion? Also, do you have a target time (e.g. less than 15 minutes)?

Understanding what is taking the longest can help people make the most targeted and helpful optimization suggestions.

This is something I'd agree with if I were expressing myself more seriously - there is NO WAY that Dominion should be taking long enough that you are worried about its length. No way. You must be doing something wrong, and we need to know what that something is before we can tell you to stop doing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Martin
England
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neverfade wrote:
chrisjwmartin wrote:
bobgresh wrote:

You do realize Dominion's wide appeal draws in players of all types right? This includes people who don't run BSW-speed games.

The OP could want a shorter game for any number of reasons. What does it matter what his reason is if you're not going to add to the thread? There's plenty of places on the internet to be jackass. Let's not make this another one.

Homo homini asinus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chamberlain
United States
Tracy
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with those who are asking what you are doing that causes you to feel the game needs to be shorter in length.

What I have learned from playing Dominion a lot is that with all new players, the game tends to take a long time. Players tend to focus on buying lots and lots of action cards because they are enjoying experimenting with different combos when they are relatively new to the game (our group probably played our first 50 or so games that way...). You end up with these large cumbersome decks that are very inefficient. The game can be fun to play that way, especially if everyone is playing the same way and nobody is realizing how inefficient they are being. But that style of play can cause the game to take 2-3 times longer than it normally does.

Once players hit on the "big-money" strategy (or variants of it) and realize that you can end the game pretty quickly by just buying only money and provinces, then the pace of the game changes. Everyone realizes that the action cards are usually the "seasoning" in your deck, rather than the meat of it, and if you over buy action cards, your progress slows to a crawl and you lose, unless everyone else makes the same mistake.

I think to answer the OP's question it would be best to figure out first, which type of game his group is playing. Are they still in the "build giant cumbersome decks" phase that tend to slow the game to a crawl or are they playing the "build efficient decks to win quickly" phase.

If they are still in the former, then changing the action cards isn't going to address the problem. Somebody in their group needs to repeatedly slaughter everybody with a small efficient deck a few times to teach them all how brutally efficient the game can really be.

If the OP's gaming group really is in the latter phase of play where they already understand that the secret to winning is a tight and efficient deck, then avoiding attack cards is the way to go. Most importantly, avoiding attack cards that screw with the balance of the deck by destroying cards (saboteur/swindler) or thinning it out with curses (witch/seahag) will speed up the game a little.

One simple question to ask that will probably clearly indicate which phase of play the group is in is this: do you always buy coppers when you have extra buys or can't afford anything larger? Or do you almost always buy the most expensive card you can afford? as a general rule, that is a sign that you are building a sloppy inefficient deck, unless you are playing a very specific strategy around a very specific card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the post above was great - would be interesting to hear from the OP.

Are you playing with the base Dominion set only?

How long are your games, and how many players?

As others have said, removing attack cards will increase the game speed. Militia is a bit of a game slower with the initial 10 suggested cards. Village doesn't help sometimes either if people don't use it efficiently.

Also as other have commented, if you focus more on treasure and less on action card (and combos for that matter) then the games will finish faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Play more Inis
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisjwmartin wrote:
Neverfade wrote:
chrisjwmartin wrote:
bobgresh wrote:

Homo homini asinus.

Confirmation I was right? Awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Martin
England
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neverfade wrote:
chrisjwmartin wrote:
Neverfade wrote:
chrisjwmartin wrote:
bobgresh wrote:

Homo homini asinus.

I rather felt your snootiness was confirmation in itself. There's plenty of places on the internet to be prig. Let's not make this another one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Play more Inis
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisjwmartin wrote:
Neverfade wrote:
chrisjwmartin wrote:
Neverfade wrote:
chrisjwmartin wrote:
bobgresh wrote:

Homo homini asinus.

I rather felt your snootiness was confirmation in itself. There's plenty of places on the internet to be prig. Let's not make this another one.

Irrelevant. You gave a bullshit answer to a legitimate question while being a jerk about it. I thought we were all here to help each other.

And don't get me started on the irony of calling me a prig given the context of your replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Lucato
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heat is up and counting in this topic.

Main reason that would make someone playing board games is to have a pleasant and fun moment for whatever reason they think is fair, even when if it means getting into a high strategy cut throat game.
On the other hand I see no problems whatsoever on willing to shorten a game playing time as long as it pleases you and your fellow gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Fightmaster
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Neverfade wrote:
chrisjwmartin wrote:
Neverfade wrote:
chrisjwmartin wrote:
Neverfade wrote:
chrisjwmartin wrote:
bobgresh wrote:

Homo homini asinus.

Irrelevant. You gave a bullshit answer to a legitimate question while being a jerk about it. I thought we were all here to help each other.

And don't get me started on the irony of calling me a prig given the context of your replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Martin
England
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neverfade wrote:
I thought we were all here to help each other.

What on earth gave you that impression? Have you never used BGG before - or the internet, for that matter? In threads where someone asks a dumb question the responses vary between piss-taking jokes and helpful commentary. My contribution was to take the piss, a comment which I may note has currently received more thumbs than other post here apart from the equally sarcastic post about making Twinkies less nutritious.

As an amused aside, if you really really wanted BGG to be a place of fluffiness and faeries, starting - and continuing - a full-on flame war against a guy whose only crime was to crack a one-line joke at someone's expense was a bad place to start. Shall we stop now, or are you secretly enjoying this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Love is in the air....da da da da da da.... Love is in the air...

Must be Valentine's day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Martin
England
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monteslu wrote:
Love is in the air....da da da da da da.... Love is in the air...

Must be Valentine's day.

I could want to take the piss for any number of reasons. What does it matter what my reason is if you're not going to add to the thread? There's plenty of places on the internet to be jackass. Let's not make this another one. You gave a bullshit answer to a legitimate joke while being a jerk about it. I thought we were all here to help each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisjwmartin wrote:
bobgresh wrote:

Takes 10 minutes on brettspielwelt for 2 player games. But in real life, it's more like 30 minutes to an hour depending on the configuration. No complaints from me though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.