Lucian Pleianu
Romania
Cluj Napoca
Cluj
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

I would like to start by saying that I got into the board gaming hobby a few years ago mainly through "Eurogames". But for a while now, thanks to titles such as Combat Commander: Europe and Glory III I am starting get more into the wargaming universe and I'll like to try a few other good titles.

In Eastern Europe, wargames can be an expensive affair and therefore, the "$5 flat worldwide shipping" offer, coupled with the "Any 3 games for $149.99" seems like a brilliant deal.

I had a look over some of their titles and found Rommel in the Desert, Hammer of the Scots, Richard III: The Wars of the Roses, Crusader Rex, Liberty: The American Revolution 1775-83 and Texas Glory: 1835-36 to be all interesting enough.

However, I need to narrow down this list to only 3 titles and would really appreciate input from fellow wargamers. Just to get an idea, we found the rules and play style of Combat Commander: Europe excellent. Anything significantly more complex would probably be too much for my friends and will end up sitting on the shelf instead of being played.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
None of these game are more complicated than Combat Commander. In fact they all share similar rules for movement and combat, so once you learn one, the other will be easy to learn.

Rommel or Hammer of the Scots are probably the best two. Of the other you should choose on the basis of what era interests you the most.

I'd consider adding Napoleon: The Waterloo Campaign, 1815 to your list--it has a very fun battleboard system not used in many of the other block games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Preorder Navajo Wars by GMT Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the games on your list, Richard III, Hammer of the Scots, and Rommel in the Desert are what I'd pick. Liberty and Crusader Rex are both good games but I think the three I mentioned are better. My .02
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Anything significantly more complex would probably be too much for my friends and will end up sitting on the shelf instead of being played.

A few thoughts for getting started with Columbia games:

- The simplest "starters" of the Columbia games are: Quebec, 1812, and Napoleon.

- Richard III, Crusader Rex, and Hammer of the Scots all use the same system by the same designer. For variety, you might want to select just one of these. I prefer Hammer to Crusader Rex, mostly because I'm less interested in the Crusades period. I'm most interested in Wars of the Roses, but I haven't had a chance to play Richard III yet. Let your period of interest be your guide.

- While Rommel is well-regarded, it's a much larger game. The rulebook for Rommel is 36 pages, vs. 8-12 for most of the other ones on your list (e.g., Liberty has 8). If you're interested in a start WWII block game, you might start with Pacific Victory or Victory instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike McClellan
United States
Gig Harbor
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can handle Combat Commander, then I really don't think you'd have any problems with any of Columbia's games - their rules are much simpler. I think there's universal agreement that Hammer of the Scots is one of their best games. Crusader Rex and Richard III are very similar, but have enough differences to make them unique. Rommel has more of the feel of a classic wargame & takes a bit more work. I played a fair bit of Sam Grant and Bobby Lee many years ago and enjoyed them. I think if I had to choose one of them I'd go with Sam Grant, which covers the western theater of the US Civil war.

In any event, I think your money will be well-spent, these are games you're likely to play over and over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rommel's rule book is longer than the other games but the pages are smaller...

I would choose 1 of A, B, C:

A: Hammer or Richard III (the most popular block games system)
B: Napoleon or Rommel or Quebec (for variety)
C: Eastfront (just because)

Yes I know Eastfront is a more complicated game (although still only a "medium" by wargame standards IMO), but it is the pinnacle. All you need is one of your friends to be willing to go down the path with you and you will never regret it.

It appears from the Columbia Games site that the "Front" games are not eligible for the bundle, but I'm sure if you called them up they would make an appropriate arrangement.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rommel (tight, tense and a good look and feel for the campaign)
Wizard Kings (multi-player so you can play with more friends)
Napoleon (tight, tense and a good look and feel for the campaign)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EastFrontII
Pacific Victory
Napoleon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I'll cast a vote for Texas Glory, which I've been enjoying lately with several different opponents.

It uses a similar base system to Hammer of the Scots and Crusader Rex - neither of which I've played, but a friend who's played all 3 says he likes Texas Glory the best. Also, supposedly its rules are better written, I have heard.

Disclaimer: I'm originally from Texas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ramsey
Canada
North Delta
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Screws fall out all the time. The world is an imperfect place.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have limited experience with Columbia Games but I own a copy of Hammer of the Scots and have been enjoying it immensely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucian Pleianu
Romania
Cluj Napoca
Cluj
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so very much to all of you who provided the feedback.

I ended up placing an order for Hammer of the Scots (main reason: when I joined the company I am currently working for, I've been on a 3 month training course in Stirling, Scotland. There's where a great battle has been fought by William Wallace, so I simply couldn't pass this game), Rommel in the Desert and Napoleon: The Waterloo Campaign, 1815.

Now I just have to hope I'll find the time and the opponents to give them a good try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Think you made the right choices, only change would be Richard III: The Wars of the Roses for Hammer of the Scots but as mentioned you had personal reasons for picking it.
picking Napoleon: The Waterloo Campaign, 1815 will allow you the simple game and get others into game, also it can be played by 3 players, so a good game for games night if you have a group of players that get together and you need to split into two groups.
picking Rommel in the Desert a classic and a super game the best of the bunch for me.
picking Hammer of the Scots no idea, but when i was ordering my games from them it was a contender which lost out to Richard III: The Wars of the Roses

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chuckila wrote:
Just to get an idea, we found the rules and play style of Combat Commander: Europe excellent. Anything significantly more complex would probably be too much for my friends and will end up sitting on the shelf instead of being played.

Thanks!

Sorry to say that rules only ever go downhill from CC:E in terms of readability and reference. It is the single most brilliant layout of a rulebook i've ever seen.

That having been said, I read through Eastfront II and Eurofront II rules and both of those are very good, so I would think that the other Columbia Games fair should be well written.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.