Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Latto
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So there are three games in the box; two solitaire and one 2-player. I assume they have many mechanisms in common, and some subtle differences. I ultimately want to learn all three games.

What is the best order to learn them in? Should I start with one of the solitaire games (which one is simpler?) then learn the other, then learn how to combine them into the two-player game? Or should I start with the two-player, and then learn how the non-existent opponent is simulated in the solitaire games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brown
United Kingdom
Stockport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I got this for Christmas but have only just got it on to my table. I started with Lion, I figured that this was the original game so I'll start with that.

The game seemed a bit daunting at first and I think that's why it stayed on my shelf for so long. However once you settle down to read the rules and play along at the same time it all clicks together and becomes very smooth.

My concern is that I don't see the point in it and I wonder if I'm missing something. I was about to make a seperate post about this but if anyone reads this and wants to comment please feel free to do so.

When I say I don't see the point I mean all the decisions appear so obvious that I don't feel at all engaged with the game. It's an incredibly clever design and a work of genius but I just don't get it, so what am I missing? (BTW I've only pushed it around for a few days)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two different replies:

1) If complicated mechanics don't scare you, I'd start with the Germans. The hard part for learning the Germans, in my opinion, is trying to create a plan for the entire day, bearing in mind things like "will enough fighters turnaround in time for later missions?," "how much rendezvous failure can I risk?," and "how do I structure in time these raids that are located nearby to stretch the defenders?" All this before you even play the game and see how raids are resolved.

2) If you think the game looks a bit complicated, I'd start with the British. You're not asked to make too many decisions up front. You patrol and watch the Germans launch one raid. You decide how to intercept that raid and see how battle plays out. Then you'll (probably) do another round of patrolling. Game mechanics are decisions will be introduced gradually. The hard part for the British is that you're the one who's reacting, and some gamers don't like that; they rather have a plan and execute it. Also, the wiley German AI can sometimes fake you out (advance warning was off, or you get a string of time advance 0), which can be frustrating.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Butterfield
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I always recommend that a new player starts with the Lion, the British solo version, for most of the reasons stated by fusag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Duckworth
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought this game on Saturday, and started with the Lion 1-day scenario on Sunday. It was a blast (and my RAF were hammered by the AI)!

I found the rules to be possibly the best and most intuitive I have ever come across: one read-through of the Lion rules, a quick scan through again, and then played the one-day game, including a few of the advanced rules (e.g. Fend & Evade). I had to make a lot of double-checks back to the rules to start with but once you get the raid routine down its easy: it is just the exceptions that needed checking after that.

I am sure it is down to the luck of the draw wrt the cards that come out, but true to my usual luck the AI performed very well: the first two targets being 12- and 13-Gruppe raids simultaneously at 6am against neighbouring radar stations; my fighters were parried by the Me109s and both stations were put out of action. That made it far harder to co-ordinate future responses and set the tone for the day.

I REALLY enjoyed the game, and am looking forward to playing Lion again, before trying Eagle and then the 2-player game if possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.