Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I have a pdf file. I'd like to take a subset of pages, scale them up to 150% their regular size, and save those pages to a new pdf file. I'll probably have to set the page size in the new file to 12.8 by 16.5 inches to accomplish the task.

Anyone know how I can do it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Benak
Serbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you have, software-wise? Photoshop and CorelDraw can import pdf pages and you can manipulate them from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not much; I recently installed Windows 7. I was hoping that cutePDF (virtual printer) would work, but for some reason it has trouble printing from Adobe reader. I can do what I want with, say, a Microsoft Word document.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Benak
Serbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how cutePDF works but if it works similarly to PDFCreator (another virtual printer) try opening file in Acrobat Reader, select Print, select bigger format to print on (the size you wan't it to be), select (under Page Handling) "Fit to printable media" and print just the pages you want (put page numebers under "Print Range"/Pages). If cutePDF can't do that and if format you want to use is in standard printing formats (or it can fit into some of them and that suites you) then download PDFCreator and tell me here or on PM and I'll tell you how to do it step by step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It gives me the same problem as cutePDF. It produces a two-page pdf with a blank first page, and the second page has

ERROR: undefined
OFFENDING COMMAND: eexec

STACK:

/quit
-dicctionary-
-mark-

Are there any other programs that can open PDF files?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Benak
Serbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Open the file in Acrobat Reader, go to File/Properties..., click on tab "Security" and look at "Document Restrictions Summary" (bottom half). If it says, for instance, Printing : "Allowed" and everything else "Not Allowed" I think there is nothing you can do. Such files (I think) you can print on paper but you can't edit them nor print them with virtual printers unless you have a password. Then we'll wait if someone else has a better idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup! That's it. Darn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kloth
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really curious why you'd need to increase the size of the pages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's Kwanchai's Ogre remake. Everything is in one file. Pages 7-11 include the unit counters and the map, and I want to blow them up to have ~1 inch counters instead of 9/16" counters. By blowing them up, I'm going to have to use a large-scale printer which a friend of mine has access to, and I want to give him one simple file to print rather than a list of instructions.

And now that you know my plan, Mr. Bond, I'll bid you farewell. Guards, take him away!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kloth
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you find a solution yet?

Having your friend mess with the print setting is easiest, but you're trying to avoid that. So...

You could just take screenshots of the blown up pages and stitch them together. It would only take me a few minutes, and I'd be happy to do it for you. You can upload the pdf to http://drop.io/ and geekmail me the url, or send the file to me some other way. Then just tell me how much to enlarge and I'll send you a pdf back.

Another way is to de-encrypt the pdf by messing with the printing channel. You could try printing to pdf instead of a printer. That's so obvious it probably won't work. You could send it to a printer, and intentionally having it sit in the print queue and then find the location of the file in the queue. Some printers can hold queued items on their memory and you might be able to pull it back off.

A PDF viewer might have loopholes. A friend recommended using Brava! Reader because you can sometimes use print-to-pdf on files that you shouldn't be able to. I wonder if the programmers view that as a bug or feature. There are PDF decrypters that are easy to find. I don't know which are up to date, don't have malware, and work but I know I've done it in the past.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Benak
Serbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One more vote for Brava! Reader. I tried some pdf pages that I couldn't turn into another pdf and it worked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MusedFable wrote:
A PDF viewer might have loopholes. A friend recommended using Brava! Reader because you can sometimes use print-to-pdf on files that you shouldn't be able to.

Brava worked great, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.