Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Clarke
United Kingdom
St Albans
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having tried it the other day, I admit to a certain amount of confusion over how the relic Soulbiter in The Black Blade is supposed to work. (I also agree that the quest is unusually hard for the heroes, for a quest in the original game: perhaps the hardest)
Basically, the quest setup explains that Soulbiter begins play as a melee weapon. This is quite clear. It also provides clear rules for progression of Soulbiter's attack as iron seals are broken. However, it fails to note when, if ever, Soulbiter returns to being a Ranged weapon as indicated on the card. This leave me with three unlikely possibilities:

* Soulbiter was never intended to be a melee weapon at all, and "melee" in the quest rules is a misprint.

* Soulbiter is suppose to remain melee throughout the whole quest. But Soulbiter is used *solely* in this quest, states "Ranged" on the card, and uses a blue attack dice.

* Soulbiter is suppose to become ranged after some number of iron seals have been broken. But what number, and why isn't this stated? Four would be most logical, and that is in fact how we played.

Anyone have any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's clearly an error of some kind.

I seem to recall someone on the FFG forums saying that Kevin W had said at some point that it's supposed to become ranged after one seal is broken. It's not in the FAQ or GLoAQ, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I spent 100 GG and all I got was this stupid overtext.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it is supposed to switch to being a ranged weapon after the first seal is broken and they just didn't say so in the Quest Guide. I know this is the case and that Kevin answered it as such, but I cannot point you to any specific link or tell you where I saw it so you'll just have to take my word for it I'm afraid .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember this answer too. The reason you can't find it is because it was answered on the forum before the forum before the forum they have now. @_@ That was not a typo.

Though I recall Mike Z. answering it. Either way the answer was official, but somehow never made it in to the FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Clarke
United Kingdom
St Albans
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Typical...
Thanks a lot.
I wonder now why it was made a melee weapon in the first place. A competent group of heroes will break the first seal on turn 1 (well, assuming they know the map layout and don't inadvisedly head north), so the extra complexity added by starting out as melee seems completely pointless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yoacusna wrote:
Typical...;)
Thanks a lot.
I wonder now why it was made a melee weapon in the first place. A competent group of heroes will break the first seal on turn 1 (well, assuming they know the map layout and don't inadvisedly head north), so the extra complexity added by starting out as melee seems completely pointless.

To be annoying is my guess. ^_^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is now mentioned in the latest FAQ:
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/descent/faq/de...

The Soulbiter Relic changes from a Melee to a Ranged weapon after the first seal is broken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.