United Kingdom
Moorlinch
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings all.

I'm visiting New Orleans with my partner in May (around the 11 to the 24th); we've been before but there's lots more we want to do that we didn't last time.

I've dropped a line to the WWII Museum on Andrew Higgins to find out more about their "Wargames Weekend" (their website is a bit vague on details).

We've got a busy schedule (again!) but... are there any other events going on in NOLA during this period? And are there any bricks-and-mortar games stores that are worth a visit while we're there?

Thanks in anticipation.
A

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartman
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alex,

Too bad; you just miss Jazz Fest which is a GREAT time.

To answer the rest of your questions, I have not found a decent brick-and-mortar game store in town. The closest good one is in Baton Rouge (about an hour and a half drive west).

I've talked to Walt Burgoyne about the Museum's game days and it seems they tend to play one game and use it as a demonstration/teaching tool. The last email I got from him about their January game day he said this:

"This will be a fairly involved game about the final stages of the Japanese advance on the Philippines. More info is available at our museum website, but basics are:
1) RSVP's appreciated (to my work email).
2) Lecture at 9, game launch at 10, running to 4 or 5pm using Command Decision rules. This will be full-blown affair with "staff" breakaway meetings and reports every couple of hours, and an after-action report."

Such a great city, I really love it here. But not so much going on from a (war)gaming perspective.

Bart
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Treacher
United Kingdom
Moorlinch
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply - much appreciated.

I got a reply back from Walt a couple of days ago - it seems that the Weekend Wargames events aren't regular, but are scheduled to coincide with anniversaries of WWII actions. There aren't any planned for the period that I'm over yet, but the schedule seems fluid so it might yet change.

Either way, I'll be visiting the museum - any gaming going on there would simply be a bonus!

A

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.