• [+] Dice rolls
whistler
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Knob Creek Manhattan
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While it may not exactly fit your description, I think that you might like Imperial. It contains no luck, and is WWI themed. Where it may not fit all of your criteria is that the players are not the warring countries, but instead they are war profiteers who invest in the countries. The player with controlling shares in a country determines the actions for that country, and those actions could be aggressive or defensive in nature. I suggest the game because this different flavor of war may give you the flexibility that you require.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pizio
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Another year, another support drive, another silly Over text
badge
Which way to the nearest cliff?
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it conflict in general that she objects to or modern conflict? Do you thing something with a fantasy theme might work better?

Shogun is often used as an example for this type of game. You may also want to look at Imperial or the new retheme Imperial 2030 which features Brazil as one of the world leaders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Heretics
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial or Imperial 2030 would be my suggestion. Beautiful components, easy ruleset once you understand what each space on the rondel does (this takes less than 5 minutes to fully grasp), and excellent gameplay with so many ways to win. Both games offer very different gaming experiences all around the same basic premise: you're a war profiteer. The only real downside is that there is absolutely NO luck involved, so if you lose, it's because you personally sucked. None of this, 'the dice/cards were against me'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raindog
Norway
Elverum
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Here's a geeklist I made featuring the games you are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Senji is awsome and seems to fit the criteria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
I have to ask - are you sure your fiance would like "partial conflict" games? Are you trying to have it both ways - a war-themed game without direct conflict?

But Maybe I'm thinking of my conflict-hating wife. You're fiance may obviously be different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim and Ekaya - Sotho Blue
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery is a very good game. It has the potential for war actions, but you can be very successful without ever using them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest giving Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery a try. There is direct conflict in the sense of competing for limited spaces. War is not necessary but is an option. Great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SPM
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game for you is: Maria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim and Ekaya - Sotho Blue
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tamburlain wrote:
The game for you is: Maria.

I have no doubt it's a great game (judging by Friedrich), but it is a wargame, and definitely not what the O.P. is requesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martins Livens
Latvia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
this is not exactly war themed game, but it have direct conflict.
Tigris & Euphrates
it have theme , but essentially it's euro-war-abstract,
and it's very good as that, thought 4 is limit and best spot.
Imperial is really war themed eurogame, can be played with up to 6.

Both are not easy games, but T&E is more tense IMHO.

also - haven't played, but I have heard Reef Encounter is very good as kind of euro-war-abstract, allready someone mentioned here. But as i understand it isn't war themed, less that T&E is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington

Long Island City
New York
msg tools
In the groups I frequent, Wallenstein (first edition)/Shogun, Struggle of Empires/Conquest of the Empire, Imperial, and Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization are the highest regarded Euro wargames, but

- nearly all of them are best with at least 3-5 players,
- most all of them except IMPERIAL have strong random elements, and
- Struggle of Empires/Conquest of the Empire are pretty aggressive as well.

In general, you'll have a hard time avoiding randomness in wargames just because martial conflict has so much randomness in it.

My best recommendation for conflict based Euros where direct conflict is truly optional is the unfortunately long out of print Serenissima (first edition) -it's mostly about merchantry/trading/buying and shiping goods game where players can attack each others cities for increased income and each others' ships to steal goods and/or the ships themselves, but one can easily dominate by focusing on strong defense and fast, clever trading. In a typical game, players are fairly pacifistic for most of the game and have one or two turns near the end of Sheer Ruthless Aggression, but like I said, if you're careful you can just trade profitably and build up defense so that no one dares attack you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
whistler
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Knob Creek Manhattan
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I suggested Imperial above, and several people echoed the suggestion, it was neat to also see mention of Imperial 2030 which I have not played. I think that this suggestion is really cool since Brazil is one of the six powers in the game! From what I read, the changes between the games are small. I like the original, so I just wanted to support the suggestion of Imperial 2030 by others here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mahaczek
Poland
Szczecin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
God's Playground
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Rebertus
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildlife and Wallenstein come to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Frazier
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
As with others, I would definitely have to recommend both Imperial and Tigris & Euphrates.

T&E doesn't really look like a war game, at first, but it's definitely a very contact-heavy game. It can be very abstract and fiddly for newcomers to the genre, though, its scoring mechanism (my favorite!) comes across as very unusual at first, and its learning curve can definitely throw people off.

On the other hand, the thing to be aware of with Imperial is that it only looks like a war game. War-themed, as you said. But anyone who actually plays it like a war game and gets emotionally-invested in "their" country will lose badly. Sounds like the ideal game to teach your war-enthusiast friends a lesson!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb

Greetings-

I have a great deal of respect for Tigris & Euphrates, and the people who play it, but the OP was asking about games similar to Risk. T&E is a bit of a jump, isn't it?

IMO, the stand-out recommendations are Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery and Antike, plus Serenissima (first edition) (but it's out of print). These all involve some battles, and players have to be aggressive sometimes, but they allow relatively peaceful strategies to succeed in the right circumstances.

Others to consider:
Shogun (or Wallenstein (first edition)), Small World, Twilight Imperium (Third Edition), Endeavor and Senji.

Imperial (or Imperial 2030) is brilliant, but some new players find it difficult. Although the theme and presentation are wargame-like, it is really a stock control game. A great game, but it does not really fit as well as those above.
Similarly, Mare Nostrum, Liberté (OOP), La Città, Struggle of Empires, Perikles and Reef Encounter are all good (great!) games. They might be either too different (La Citta, Reef Encounter) or a challenge for new players (SoE, Perikles).

Your mileage may vary, but I would go with Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery.

-R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff slaga
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mare Nostrum w/ Mare Nostrum: Mythology Expansion

also Rise of Empires is a bit souless=euro but has some fighting and area control as well as economic engine building in a nice two hour time frame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
jmagi wrote:

Apologies - I meant to include this! With the expansion this is well-worth a look.

-R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Whitney
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kisnney wrote:
Thanks everyone =)

When I have the time, I'll read all the recommendations.

But... things have changed, actually. A (new-gamer) friend of ours told us that he wants to buy a couple of games. These are great news, since we're quite short of money =). He's thinking about buying http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/11202/the-first-world....

I want to talk to him about this... And your suggestions will help a lot =). What do you think about the game above, by the way?

The type of game you requested in your OP are what some people here call Waros or Weuros. Raindog started a really good list of such games here: Waros/Weuros List
Of the games on his list, I can say from play experience that Antike, A Game of Thrones and Warrior Knights are all excellent games that play well with a group.

If your friends goal is to purchase a WWI wargame that can be played with more than 2 players, The First World War isn't a bad choice. One thing it has going for it IMO, is it's designed by Ted Raicer who's one of the top designers for that theatre of war. It also isn't too difficult so it'd probably be suitable for gamers transitioning from Euros. Your friend should probably plan on eventually moving up from that game to The Great War in Europe - Deluxe Edition. It's also designed by Ted Raicer, but IMO it's a better game, albeit it's more difficult. If 2 player only WWI games are OK, I'd recommend he look no further than Paths of Glory Which IMO is Ted Raicer's best game and an outstanding WWI wargame in every regard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Tan
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 de Mayo meets all your requirements, except item 3. It's a cat-and-mouse game, so conflict is unavoidable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pizio
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boing123 wrote:
2 de Mayo meets all your requirements, except item 3. It's a cat-and-mouse game, so conflict is unavoidable.

This is a good game, however it is only 2 player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozludo wrote:

but the OP was asking about games similar to Risk. T&E is a bit of a jump, isn't it?

Actually, the OP never stated anything of the kind. Rather, that their gaming "friends have played Risk (which we hate) since childhood," and that they would "like a "partial direct conflict" game."

Given these two things, A Risk-like game is exactly what they do NOT want. At any rate, Risk could never be described as a "partial direct conflict" game, however this described T&E perfectly. I have previously outlined how T&E nicely reflects many wargame concepts, and would highly recommend it to the group. I would add that AoEIII and Imperial are also good choices, the latter as least having some aspects of direct conflict (at least the way we played it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pizio
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kisnney wrote:
native_son wrote:
While it may not exactly fit your description, I think that you might like Imperial. It contains no luck, and is WWI themed. Where it may not fit all of your criteria is that the players are not the warring countries, but instead they are war profiteers who invest in the countries. The player with controlling shares in a country determines the actions for that country, and those actions could be aggressive or defensive in nature. I suggest the game because this different flavor of war may give you the flexibility that you require.

This looks like a very good game. I'll keep that in mind.

There is a modern day retheme of the game that may be more available, it is a current Essen release. Imperial 2030 also features Brazil as 1 of the world powers so that may go over well with your locally group.

You definitely could do worse than these games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.