Bartek Rozbicki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone!

In this thread I will show you how to paint Dragon miniature from Descent. Maybe this will help the beginners with their painting journey ;)
Enjoy!

THE BEGINNING

First of all. Be sure to have a comfortable space to work. A couple of good brushes, razor, glue and green stuff (material in which you can make sculptures).
Personaly I use Citadel paints. But you can use any brand you like.

TIP: If you have smaller miniature - it's good to stick it to one of your paints you are not using to often (blue in my case).

TIP: If you want to mix colors - cover of CD is quite good tool. Sometimes I'm using empty package for tabletes.

TIP: Plastic bases have often tendency to bend. If your base isn't flat enough just put miniature into VERY hot water. After 2 minutes you can modify shape of miniature whatever you like. When you make it strait, just put it to vice for couple of hours. Should help greatly.
[/COLOR]

Remeber - time it's not your enemy. Give the time to your miniature. Think about it with love ;) Don't be hasty.
First what I did it was to remove all plastic leftovers with razor and then cover gaps in miniature using greenstuff or glue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartek Rozbicki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BASE
Don't forget about base. It's almost that important as your miniature. In this one I used different stuff like stones, sand and plastic elements from Warhammer Basing Kit

TIP: Many people is taking care of the BASE after they painted the miniature. This is wrong. Alwas think ahead and make the base BEFORE you put the prime color. Otherwise you will have much more trouble. Maybe this is obvious but I've seen many people to do that oposite way ;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartek Rozbicki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BASE NEXT STEPS
Think how you miniature should look like and pick different elements and fit them to the base. Then glue the base and stick elements to it.

Then cover whole miniature into the sand.

And here we are.. Almost done

TIP: It's good idea to make this step with several miniatures at once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartek Rozbicki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TELLING THE STORIES
Painting miniatures isn't just about paiting, it's about telling the stories.
Think of miniature what kind of story you want to tell. In this case I decided that it won't be a male dragon but female Dragon Lady protecting her egg from Descent heroes.

So.. I took a piece of green stuff and made an egg. Don't be fooled of easy shape. It's not so easy to do perfect egg at once. I tried like 3 times ;)
The spot at the tail curve look ideally for putting an egg. So this is done..

Then I thought that every dragon should have at least a chest full of tresures. It's very easy. First you make base of chest, then add 2 stripes of green stuff

and then using the picktooth make lock at the end. Voila. We have a chest

After 1 hour when your green stuff is become much harder you can even make small sculputures like a sword for a base etc.

TIP: If you have a cat he is always a great helper. Look at the picture above ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leigh
United Kingdom
Richmond
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this. I'm reading keep 'em coming!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartek Rozbicki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BASE COLOR
I didn't take a photo of miniature after puting prime but I choose my prime color to be a Chaos Black. I wanted to create darker color scheme. If you want to create bright figurine like elf use white, otherwise pick black. It's easier to paint the miniature and you will get nice darker color scheme.
I'm always using a spray. It's better.

REMEMBER:
Don't do this in the close spaces. It's better to go outside and spray several miniatures at once.

TIP:
When you used your prime color leave the miniature at least over the night to let it dry. I know they write that it will dry after 30 min or so, but believe me it looks much more better if you give prime color to set up properly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartek Rozbicki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BASE COLORS
Then you have to choose your color scheme. I've decided that it will be beautiful and scary Red Dragon. So as a base color I've choose Scab Red.

TIP:
It's better NOT to use more than 3,4 colors on your miniature. It looks better with narrow color scheme. In this case I've used Scaab Red, bleached bone for claws and horns and graveyard earth for base.

Then I've painted base with mix of graveyard Earth, a bit of Scab Red and a bit of black. Then skulls with mix of graveyard and bleached bone.

Then after a couple of minutes using drybryshing technique I've put first layer of highlights

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartek Rozbicki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PAITING - EGG and CHEST
Then I've put first layers of paint on the egg and chest.
It's very hard to make organic feeling so you have to mix a lot of colors and play with them.
For this case I mixed talarn flesh and bleached bone for the base, and with scab red did this red patterns.
I decided to go with steel colors for the chest.
After the first layer it didn't look superb, but hey, it's a good start...

TIP: If you want the gold looks convincing put a drop of metalic steel (like boltgun metal) into it. The same: if you want to have good steel add a drop of gold to it. It looks better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartek Rozbicki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DRAGON WINGS
Then using wet paint technique I've painted the wings. To achieve good look I've picked Blood Red for bottom part of the wings, scab red for the upper part and blazing orange for edges.

After miniature dry out, I picked scab red and using drybrushing I've made this tonal red colors. After that I've used ogryn flesh wash to make the pits into the wings darker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartek Rozbicki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DETAILS
After few layers of drybrushing, (first with Blood Red, then Blazing orange) effect was ok. So I've painted details like eyes, and horns.

You can watch Dragon Lady Anh'Ghor here:

After the miniature is painted wait one night, and cover it with satin varnish. Purity Seal from Citadel will do.
Don't go for gloss varnish it won't look good with it. Sometimes I'm using gloss for crystals and other shiny parts of miniature but that's it.

And.. this is pretty much it.
If you have any questions - just ask.

Now go and tell people your stories ;)

Cheers!
Bartek
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zev Neumark-Gaudet
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, just simply wow!

I was thinking about starting to paint my miniatures.

I have Runewars, Chaos in the Old World, and Descent to paint...

Thank you much for your patience in posting this. It will be helpful for me later.

thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Vince
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Advice I got descent last week and really wanna get into painting miniatures your article really helped

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the finished miniature already very amazing and AWEsome!

But now that I read how you did it, and how much work you had to put in it, I am even more astonished, and know for sure that mini painting won't be anything for me!

Great step-by-step article!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartek Rozbicki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys.
Next step by step guide is for Sir Alric Farrow from Descent Road to Legend. This is great miniature, a lot of possibilities to paint.

Mini tutorial you can find here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/497053/how-to-paint-sir-...

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sammut
Australia
Richmond
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love your work!
And really appreciate your time to post it for us...

arsthanea wrote:
Don't forget about base. It's almost that important as your miniature. In this one I used different stuff like stones, sand and plastic elements from Warhammer Basing Kit

So the skulls you used for Dragon Lady Anh'Ghor are from the Warhammer Basing Kit, or somewhere else? (I couldn't find a clear pic of the Kit!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartek Rozbicki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, skulls are from basing kit. Several small elements I've made from green stuff (like rusty sword, egg, chest). Sometimes I'm combining this to options fe. element from plastic WBK and add additional elements from green stuff to make it more interesting.

Best
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gesine Stanienda
Ireland
Galway
Galway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the most un-artistice person you can imagine. Really! But with getting Descent, I have been thinking about actually painting my minis. So, I've been researching this topic and I am really, realy grateful for all this information. Of course, my minis will look absolutely horrible compared to yours. But I'm really grateful for this information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.