Chef D
United States
US Armed Forces - Americas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone please clarify these rules? I understand that you can discard one Debt chit when you build the boarding house, but the rules state "If they have no Debt chits, they should take on (gaining 2 Silver) so they can discard it." Why not simply state that if you have no debt chits then take 2 silver. It just seems odd to pick it up and discard, plus there is no reference to this rule on the actual building. Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Boarding House Question
Respectfully, I think it is you that is complicating things. The rule is simple: discard a debt chit when you build the boarding house.

The rules also say that you may take a debt chit at any time, just like you may trade with the marketplace at any time.

The explanation in the rulebook that illustrates how you can take and immediately discard a debt chit at the moment you buy the boarding house is meant to he helpful, like a FAQ of sorts, but technically it is superfluous- the rules are already clear in that you are allowed to do this.

*edited for spelling*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chef D
United States
US Armed Forces - Americas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I get it now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam O'Brien
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Even Cleverer Overtext
badge
Every time someone activates this overtext, it takes a year off my life. Hover often please!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to add a note in a similar vein: The Bank lets you discard a debt chip each turn. If you have no debt, you can do the same trick by taking one and immediately discarding it, essentially netting $2/turn.

This basically makes the bank worth $5/turn if you have debt (it normally costs $5 to pay off a debt), and $2/turn if you don't. So taking loans to buy it is quite likely worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.