Popular Tags: [View All]
zollom
United States
Palm Harbor
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know Tinners Trail and Steel Driver have been republished by other companies but I was wondering if anyone has heard any news about this game getting a graphic redo. I'd love to pick this one up but the artistic design and color makes me think of puke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Yes, I think I may like LTtW. But after two plays, I can no longer tolerate the board. Determining connections and possible paths is just too much of a chore. A links-and-nodes conversion is much needed:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Great Barford, Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
This site needs a forum where we can put the faux offended so we can ignore them.
mbmbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
Yes, I think I may like LTtW. But after two plays, I can no longer tolerate the board.

Can't see anything wrong with it.

Last Train To Wensleydale board

Plate Of Raw Liver

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
The color choices aren't as much of concern as the decision to make the board a map instead of more intuitive links.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
The color choices aren't as much of concern as the decision to make the board a map instead of more intuitive links.

Please report to Tom Vasel to be called 'joyless'.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
I'll be sure to wear my smiley face necktie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
Yes, I think I may like LTtW. But after two plays, I can no longer tolerate the board. Determining connections and possible paths is just too much of a chore. A links-and-nodes conversion is much needed:

the current board is ugly, but I don't buy the criticism that it's not functional. The only problem (and it's minor) with functionality is that some of the valley areas are too small and the town is hidden after placing the passengers.

Between the current board and the photo you included above (which looks like a Winsome production), I'll order the plate of liver any day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zollom
United States
Palm Harbor
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
let's get back to the issue at hand people... reprint, reprint!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael, I'd just sent a quick email to Mr. Wallace (you can find his contact info on the Warfrog website) asking him about it.

Edit: And then you can share his response here with us!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zollom
United States
Palm Harbor
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
Michael, I'd just sent a quick email to Mr. Wallace (you can find his contact info on the Warfrog website) asking him about it.

I would but I'm not sure how he feels about individuals contacting him on issues like this. How would I approach him; I like your game but the graphics suck. Can you change them?

If you feel more comfortable about it please feel free to contact him for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the board and the design -- it works and while, yes, some of the areas could be larger, the reason the "node" way of doing things doesn't work is you don't enter spaces in the same way as you might with a hex-based game.

Also, I'll say this for it: whenever we play LTtW, people come over to see what the hell it is we're playing. And the folks playing are having fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
zollom04 wrote:
Desiderata wrote:

I would but I'm not sure how he feels about individuals contacting him on issues like this. How would I approach him; I like your game but the graphics suck. Can you change them?

Why must you give a reason for the inquiry? Just ask something to the effect of

Quote:
Hi,
I would like to know if there are plans in place already for Last Train to Wensleydale to be printed by another publisher. If there are, and you can state the publisher's name, that would be appreciated as well. Thanks.

No need to mention the fact that you dislike the board art. Not that I think anyone at Warfrog would be offended anyways. They take some form of criticism with every game they produce, whether regarding the rulebook, board art, box art, you name it...

Edit: Given that the game is sold out at Warfrog, I think it's a perfectly valid question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
ohbalto wrote:
I like the board and the design -- it works and while, yes, some of the areas could be larger, the reason the "node" way of doing things doesn't work is you don't enter spaces in the same way as you might with a hex-based game.

Please explain. The board for Brass: Lancashire could be done up in LTtW fashion, replacing nodes and links with a true map of adjacent regions. Borders could even be color coded to distinguish whether they are passable in the canal & rail phases. Would you consider this an improvement?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost any game with a board could be distilled down to Winsome Games level. Just as most game could be distilled down to an abstract with no theme. I think it's safe to say that most people would not prefer this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
You're overstating things. My hand-drawn, rough draft notwithstanding, I'm not suggesting Winsome-grade production values. What I'm suggesting is something like the board for Steel Driver:

What I'm also suggesting is that adjacency issues like these on the LTtW board -- which most definitely must be pointed out to any new player of the game -- are sheer nonsense:

Players should struggle with each other, not the board. And yet that is what players do when determining whether a desired route is open and available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zollom
United States
Palm Harbor
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Email was sent. I haven't recieved a response yet.

Desiderata wrote:
zollom04 wrote:
Desiderata wrote:

Why must you give a reason for the inquiry? Just ask something to the effect of

Quote:
Hi,
I would like to know if there are plans in place already for Last Train to Wensleydale to be printed by another publisher. If there are, and you can state the publisher's name, that would be appreciated as well. Thanks.

No need to mention the fact that you dislike the board art. Not that I think anyone at Warfrog would be offended anyways. They take some form of criticism with every game they produce, whether regarding the rulebook, board art, box art, you name it...

Edit: Given that the game is sold out at Warfrog, I think it's a perfectly valid question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zollom
United States
Palm Harbor
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the response I received from Martin Wallace. And although it is pretty much the response I was expecting, (I knew he wouldn't be able to divulge any news) I am pretty excited to hear about a possible reprint.

zollom04 wrote:
Hi Michael,

There is the good possibility of it being picked up by another company. Unfortunately I cannot say more than that as if it is picked up it is up to the licensing company whyen they announce it.

Best

Martin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rudram
Canada
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:

That would remove some of the joy for people from the area in seeing a game mapped on the area they grew up and lived in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Ottmaier
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
It is picked up by another publisher. cool

Klaus Ottmaier
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zollom
United States
Palm Harbor
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome to hear Klaus. I've already picked up the warfrog edition but having two different publisher copies of a game hasn't stopped me before. You guys did a great job on Hansa Teutonica and will be anticipating this one.

(I hope I've read your post correctly)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.