Subject: Dying is good rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a strategy I accidenty stubled upon in one of my games that had proven useful: If near the end of the game, and systems are critically failing, and the chance of fixing them is slim to none, all you can wish for is passing the remaining minutes without drawing an event that would closen the systems to their breaking point, and a good way to do it is dying. Confuesed? It's simple: Just move your gnome to a room on fire (if possible), and choose to spend 1 minute putting out the fire. You will likely to fail, in which case you would die when your update phase begins, and that means you will resolve no event. So the more gnomes dying the less event cards will be drawn.
Discuss?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Kikola
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kroen wrote:
Here's a strategy I accidenty stubled upon in one of my games that had proven useful: If near the end of the game, and systems are critically failing, and the chance of fixing them is slim to none, all you can wish for is passing the remaining minutes without drawing an event that would closen the systems to their breaking point, and a good way to do it is dying.

Yes, if playing strictly for the good of the team, dying is often beneficial on such occasions, I agree.

But I like to think of the gnomes as shortsighted half-drunken troublemakers just scrambling to stay alive. When I play with my friends, for the most part, each gnome places his or her own life above the lives of the others, except in truly hopeless situations.

kroen wrote:
Confuesed? It's simple: Just move your gnome to a room on fire (if possible), and choose to spend 1 minute putting out the fire. You will likely to fail, in which case you would die when your update phase begins, and that means you will resolve no event.

Not quite. After a failed firefighting attempt, the rules require you to exit the room if possible, using up the appropriate number of minutes to do so. You would only die if all surrounding rooms were on fire, had high water, or had blocked hatches.

Of course, you could simply instate a house rule allowing gnome self-sacrifice. The designer Bruno Faidutti, at least, thinks it's in the spirit of the game according to what he wrote in the FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Short
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although this strategy only works if not playing with the "less deadly death" optional rule. Otherwise, a new gnome will wake up just in time for those horrible events cards to flip up!

Personally, I agree with Gregory. It's every gnome for himself! (I mean, there's even an abandon comrades action, if you're lucky enough to have the chance) Taking one for the team may be strategically sound, but it just doesn't fit with the flavor of the game. I know you could never make me pull that one, we'll just have to take our chances instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.