Popular Tags: [View All]
Isley
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been learning this game on the Colossus program, and it seems odd that the game could end so quickly if your Titan gets attacked. Maybe it's just the humanhaterAI, but I seem to get my first split stack with my titan attacked fairly early by an equal force. Since the battle could go either way it seems like a "well hell, I guess this battle is for the win" situation.

If I understand the rules correctly, I can't flee with my titan right? I would think in a multiplayer game this would happen a lot more often too, with someone getting their Titan stuck in a battle early on and losing.

Still, fun game, just seems like the play time could vary wildly depending on how often a Titan ends up in a battle. Do most players try to keep their Titan stack away from everyone? Or is it more "screw it, I'm attacking with my Titan, his combat edge should swing the battle!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
Plaatsvervangende Schaamte
badge
mbmbmb
thrasymachus wrote:
Do most players try to keep their Titan stack away from everyone? Or is it more "screw it, I'm attacking with my Titan, his combat edge should swing the battle!"

I think the answer to these questions is 'yes'. Try to keep away to strengthen the stack. However, there will be time where All ahead full, and damn the torpedoes is what is required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to remember a Titan variant designed to address this very issue where instead of an Angel and a Titan, you started play with two Titans. I thought it was published in the General, but I can't find any reference to it. Does anyone remember?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The AI in Colossus will make strategically unsound attacks to cripple or kill a Titan legion. Attacking an equal force with one of your early stacks is not self-preservative, because you'll need that legion to muster more and better monsters. The AI doesn't see it that way. The AI doesn't have the brains to subtly analyze when it's best to attack (which is why it attacks other AIs this way), and it doesn't have the brains to outstrategize you in the mustering race, so it bludgeons you with dubious attacks. This gives the computer a chance to beat you, because, for instance, while Green might throw the game away by attacking you foolishly, that might enable Brown to win if you're weakened or eliminated.

I don't play against the human-hater AI. I don't really see the point (personal preference, I guess). Against the rational AI, you can try hanging out in terrains that nearby legions don't want to go into, or you can cluster your legions together and try to shield your Titan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Wolff
msg tools
I play a lot of 1 vs 5 humanhater games.

The reasons I prefer this, is that the play of the AI is bad enough is that it is hard to lose if you get a reasonable start. I also find that making decisions about which close battles to risk and fighting close battles fairly interesting, even if a lot of cursing/whining is involved when things go poorly.

However if you do play against humanhaters to win, you want to play differently than you would if everyone wasn't out to get you. One of the worst things that can happen to your start is to have someone teleport into the tower your titan is next to. If you are going early there is a very good chance that one of the players will teleport into a tower you have a legion next to if it is open. I start a lot of games leaving one of my legions in the tower. I find 3 and 6 the best rolls, followed by 1 and 5, with 4 (normally) and 2 the worst.

For a beginner wanting to practice their game it probably is better to use the AI that more closely mimics poor human play rather than poor insane human play. (Though I used to play with some friends where eliminating me first and then their oldest brother was the main object of the game and arguably the humanhater AI is a better trainer for playing against them.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nielsen
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
The human-hater AI can be a little punishing; you just need to accept that it's 5v1, not 1v1v1v1v1v1.

On the other hand, it can yield amusing results. My current best is winning a 6p game on my third turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.