Murray Lewis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Good at learning, useless at playing
badge
No secret message here
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I just got Blokus and noticed that one side of the tiles is more 'square' than the other, therefore fitting better into the main board.

It seems to me that this side is the 'right way up', but no-where in the rules does it mention that you can't turn the tiles upside down.

Am I correct in assuming, then, that you can rotate/flip the tiles freely?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
MurrayL wrote:

Yes.

Try playing a game at the official site http://blokus.com if you wish to confirm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's possible you got pieces that weren't molded as precisely as they should have been. I've never noticed a difference in the sides on my pieces. And yes, you can flip them any way you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Lewis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
No secret message here
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems strange that all of my pieces would have a defect, though, considering they're probably mass-produced by colour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
MurrayL wrote:
Hey, I just got Blokus and noticed that one side of the tiles is more 'square' than the other, therefore fitting better into the main board.

It seems to me that this side is the 'right way up', but no-where in the rules does it mention that you can't turn the tiles upside down.

I wouldn't consider it a defect. Many materials end up having slightly different qualities on each side, but require both sides to be used in a game. A good example of this is die-cut cardboard tiles with different languages on each side. I think there's actually a term used to describe the difference between the flat side and the rounded punched side. The same must be true for plastic molds, where the base of the mold fits the plastic more precisely and the top doesn't get squared off quite exactly the same. Doesn't matter! In Blokus, both sides are used and the pieces can be flipped as you see fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Lewis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
No secret message here
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.