Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Josh and I played this game with the extra tiles and the Rough Road option , albeit only at level 1. For our first trip, the Rough Road card was Paranoia - if we stopped at a planet, we'd first be hit by a big laser blast from the front. Oh, goody!

Onto the building, and Josh demonstrated his unique sensibility of ship-architecture:
(Merric's ship bottom, Josh's top)

I'd finished first, and so we were soon off truckin' through the galaxy.

The cards...
* OPEN SPACE
* ABANDONED SHIP (I give up crew for 3 credits)
* METEORIC SWARM (I pass through undamaged. Josh loses bits from his ship)
* COMBAT ZONE (I had a Diplomat, which I used to stop losing crew; Josh got bits blown off his ship).
* PLANETS (We both stopped here: I had the front laser blown off his ship, Josh had his main crew pod - and his cargo bay - blown up!)
* STARDUST
* METEORIC SWARM
* SMUGGLERS (Took some of my goods!)

We both arrived "safely"! Unfortunately, Josh's bonus was eaten up by his costs of the flight. I had made a nice 10 credits!

Now it was time to build our ships for the second flight. The Rough Road card this time was Tough Trip - we'd add three "level 3" cards to the journey. Oh, dear!

My final ship took longer to build than Josh's - to be fair, it was bigger! I was fairly happy with it - shields, lasers and engines. Josh's ship he described as a spinning, lopsided ship. Hmm.

The Trip:
* ABANDONED SHIP (we both ignored)
* SPACE BILLIARDS
* STARDUST
* PLANETS
* ABANDONED STATION
* OPEN SPACE - we were cruising nicely at this point
* SLAVERS - oops! There went Josh's crew... at least he made 4 credits from the goods he'd picked up. His ship was pretty much undamaged, though!
* JUNKYARD
* PLANETS
* PIRATES (Ow, ow, ow! I was very, very lucky: both big shots hit the indestructible plating!)
* BUREAUCRACY
* OPEN SPACE
* COMBAT ZONE (urgh - goodbye my luxury passengers!)
* ABANDONED SHIP (ignored)

Bad for crew, not bad for getting through unscathed.

Josh made 4 credits on the trip, I made a nice 21 credits, to bring my total to 31! I'd only lost two bits of my ship; Josh had just lost his crew.

Considering Josh's flights so far, we decided to use just the "standard" ship design for the final flight - rather than the "Enterprise" layout. The Rough Road card for this time was Infected Goods - if we didn't have alien crew, we'd lose a crew member for each good we loaded. That wasn't good. Not good at all.

Josh built another ship that somewhat resembled a pancake; my ship looked rather impressive, but I was rather worried about the lack of crew quarters: with good reason!

The trip:
ABANDONED SHIP (ignored!)
SLAVERS (I blasted them out of the sky!)
METEORIC SWARM (Josh discovered that his ship would start falling apart at the slightest hit by an asteroid)
ABANDONED STATION
JUNKYARD (I recharged my batteries)
METEORIC SWARM (More of Josh's ship fell apart)
METEORIC SWARM
PLANETS (Not wishing to lose crew, we ignored them. Well, Josh picked up a cargo).
ROBOSMOKEYS (I paid 5 credits to knock another part off Josh's ship)
PLANETS
COMBAT ZONE (I tied for lasers, so I lost most of my crew. Josh got hit by weapons fire. The worse possible sequence of rolls for Josh's ship were an 7, a 6, and a 5. Guess what numbers got rolled? Josh's ship was now a crew quarters, an engine, and some batteries.)
SLAVERS (No-one had the lasers... so we lost our remaining crew. And that was it for the trip!)

Josh did not make a profit on the trip; indeed, he made a loss - and so had to give up his 4 credits from the second trip. I also made a loss, but only of one credit.

Final profit: Merric 30 credits. Josh 0 credits.

It's dangerous travelling in Vlaada-space! I think I need a trustworthy crew around me. When I get the chance, I'll join up at the Academy on one of their Sitting Duck class scout vessels!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did Josh want to play again, after this experience? I find it's hard to get the game on the table when players are so clearly mismatched in skill/experience. Maybe you should give yourself some kind of a handicap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Did Josh want to play again, after this experience? I find it's hard to get the game on the table when players are so clearly mismatched in skill/experience. Maybe you should give yourself some kind of a handicap.

Normally my handicap is "Randy"... mind you, Josh is eager (and I just asked him) to play again.

Cheers,
Merric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.