Adam Baig
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
What the Hell are YOU staring at?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Heading to T.O. next weekend, I was wondering if anyone can give me a heads up about the game shops in the Big Smoke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
401 Games, at 401 Yonge St. http://www.401games.ca

Hairy Tarantula, at 354 Yonge St. http://www.hairyt.com

Also, there's Game Trek, in the basement of the Royal York - great selection, but high prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The beauty of the above two is that they're almost across the street from each other. They also focus in different gaming sectors, but enough overlap to keep them very competetive. Both are downtown, within walking distance of the College or Dundas subway Stations on the Yonge line. Both are very well stocked with Boardgames as well. Oh to win the 6/49 and just get "one of each, to go please!"

Gerry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rocchi
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer

Also check out www.meeplemart.com

Steve is an excellent online retailer who hosts miniature and games nights at his loft space, has an excellent selection on site, some of the best prices you'll find anywhere, and convenient pick up.

He's located in the Carlaw/ Queen area; very easy to get to from downtown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a good game store underneath the Royal York Hotel on Front Street called GameTrek (wargames and Eurogames). There's a game store on Mt. Pleasant Ave called Strategy (no wargames but lots of other games) and there's a good store at Queen's Quay terminal (don't remember the name).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meeplemart is by far the best board game store in Toronto. If you let Steve know what you want he'll get if for you at a price that is unbeatable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Gee
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
401 games is great, I would recommend it. They have a large selection, and the prices are decent for a brick and mortar store. They also offered me some deals when I bought a large pile recently.

Meeplemart has amazing prices, the cheapest I've seen for many games, but I have only ordered online. According to the website you can only pick games up on Thursday evenings, but perhaps if you contact him other arrangements could be made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Li
Canada
flag msg tools
I just took a look at their site. The prices do seem unbeatable. Are their prices on the website the same as their prices in store?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bssj4 wrote:
I just took a look at their site. The prices do seem unbeatable. Are their prices on the website the same as their prices in store?

If you are asking about Meeplemart the answer is yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Silenieks
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
one more good option for gamers is a little game shop on the basement of the atrium on Dundas and yongue. They don't have a big selection of board games, however they are located very close to 401 and their prices are coomparable to meplemart. It's worth looking there for more popular games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fairley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Toronto - Ottawa - Seattle - Abu Dhabi
mbmbmbmbmb
I would second Meeplemart or 401 Games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Kinney
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leobert1984 wrote:
one more good option for gamers is a little game shop on the basement of the atrium on Dundas and yongue. They don't have a big selection of board games, however they are located very close to 401 and their prices are coomparable to meplemart. It's worth looking there for more popular games.

Only shop I know of there sells video games, do they also sell board games or am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ruza
Canada
Elmira
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry this is a little off topic, but now I am curious. Does meeplemart actually have a storefront? I thought that it was an online vendor only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How tall is justice?
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
Who IS this masked man? And WHY has he never been photographed together with 6 year old millionaire playboy Calvin?
badge
I see a world that's tired and scared of living on the edge too long.
mbmbmbmbmb
Belz wrote:
Sorry this is a little off topic, but now I am curious. Does meeplemart actually have a storefront? I thought that it was an online vendor only.

Kind of... if you go during a game night (Thursdays), you can browse his selection and purchase games. There may be other times when you can drop in, but you'd have to ask him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Gee
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Belz wrote:

Good question, doesn't seem off topic to me. Meeplemart doesn't exactly have a storefront, they have a very nice warehouse style space where they hold 2 weekly game nights. They allow pickup during their game nights on Tuesday and Thursday. I had a chance to check it out recently: the space was really nice looking, there were a lot of gamers there, and they had a huge selection of games. I even found a copy of Lowenherz which is out of print and I thought would be hard to find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ruza
Canada
Elmira
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the clarification. I was wondering since Adam was asking which shops he could go to in Toronto since he was down for a weekend, and a number suggested Meeplemart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leobert1984 wrote:

Are you thinking of the shop at Bloor and Yonge? If so, it's called Game and Hobby Zone‎. Unfortunately, the prices there are much higher than Meeplemart's. A $55 game at G&HZ will be $35 at MM. They have a good selection, though, and great staff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fairley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Toronto - Ottawa - Seattle - Abu Dhabi
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Shack sells like Carcassonne and Settlers and a few other very average games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh them! They used to be in the Lawrence/Don Mills shopping mall as well. Yeah, a small selection of more popular games, at an okay price. I'll have to check out the Atrium on Bay to see what's there.

Gerry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Silenieks
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
shaunjuan wrote:
gatylr wrote:
Leobert1984 I believe is referencing another location in the basement of the Bay/Dundas atrium
I can't remember the name of it either ... but they have a decent selection of Euros available.

I've heard they sell board games, but have never gotten around to peeking at their selection. Regardless, the place is called Game Shack.

That's correct, sorry for the delayed reply, but indeed that's what I'm talking about, Game Shack. They do sell mostly video games but a while back I noticed they had board games there, mostly the more popular titles but usually at very reasonable prices. It may be just me, but I feel like they get more and more titles every time I drop by, so maybe they are just starting to expand their business.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems 401 games was overflowing this past weekend

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara VanderWal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
401 was hosting a pre-release tournament for the new Magic set on both Sat and Sun. It gets crowded during those weekends. I buy all my board games from 401 now though (unless availability is an issue) cause they have a good selection and they let us use their gaming room every Tuesday and Wednesday night. ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.