Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael D'Amico
United States
Milford
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can one player play the UN Intervention card against the playing of the China Card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UN Intervention allows you to play an opponent's event for OPs only. China is never considered an Opponent's event when you play it and it has no event that goes along with it, only OPs.

Can you give an example so I understand the potential card interaction you're talking about?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D'Amico
United States
Milford
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
UN Intervention allows you to play an opponent's event for OPs only. China is never considered an Opponent's event when you play it and it has no event that goes along with it, only OPs.

Can you give an example so I understand the potential card interaction you're talking about?
We are having some posturing in Asia and as the USSR I played the China Card. My opponent played the UN Intervention thinking it would cancel the China Card. After some discussion we agreed it probably wasn't a legal play, but decided to check anyway.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MichaelBD wrote:
JohnRayJr wrote:

We are having some posturing in Asia and as the USSR I played the China Card. My opponent played the UN Intervention thinking it would cancel the China Card. After some discussion we agreed it probably wasn't a legal play, but decided to check anyway.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yes, you are correct. UN Intervention does not counter an opponent's play. It does negate their event when you play it on your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:

Yes, you are correct. UN Intervention does not counter an opponent's play. It does negate their event when you play it on your turn.

This is a good question, So... in a nutshell... The USSR player plays the UN card, and then during the same phase the USSR player plays (from his own hand) the "US" card "Marshall Plan". The EVENT of the US card is canceled and not played, but the USSR player gets 4 Operations Points (not to be combined with the ONE point on the card). The UN card is not used to negate the opponents card when they play one. Either player can use the card for ONE Operation Point.

I just am making sure this is the correct way to play it? I originally thought it was to cancel an opponents played card...

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JimM wrote:
JohnRayJr wrote:

This is a good question, So... in a nutshell... The USSR player plays the UN card, and then during the same phase the USSR player plays (from his own hand) the "US" card "Marshall Plan". The EVENT of the US card is canceled and not played, but the USSR player gets 4 Operations Points (not to be combined with the ONE point on the card). The UN card is not used to negate the opponents card when they play one. Either player can use the card for ONE Operation Point.

I just am making sure this is the correct way to play it? I originally thought it was to cancel an opponents played card...

Jim

Yes, this is the correc way to play it. You cannot use it to cancel an opponent's played card, whether the China Card or not.

I believe you may also play it as an event on its own if you want to (in order to prevent We Will Bury You scoring 3 VPs for example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for pointing that out Philip. I missed that one.

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Hewson
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
I bought this...
badge
...as I had no idea what to spend my GG on!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I believe you may also play it as an event on its own if you want to (in order to prevent We Will Bury You scoring 3 VPs for example).

I'm pretty sure if you want to play it as the event you need to play it with an opponent's event (in a post-WWBY situation this cancels both the event it's played with and the 3 VPs from WWBY - nice two-for-one) as written on the card.

EDIT - Found my previous post, http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3596190#3596190
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.