Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am attempting to continue a game of VASSAL on another computer than the one I started it on. I started the module and VASSAL prompted me to enter name and password. I did, but apparently I typed a slightly different password than the one I had used at home. Now VASSAL won't let me resume the saved game because it doesn't recognize me as being the same person.

Annoyingly, there seems to be no way to change the password I entered on this new computer, so as to make it agree with the one in the save-game files. I've deleted and reloaded the module. I've even uninstalled and reinstalled VASSAL, and it still won't prompt me for a new name and password.

The VASSAL help file tells me I can change my password under Preferences -> Personal, but there IS no "Personal" tab under "Preferences." So that's not helpful at all.

Does anyone know how to deal with this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, that does work. Thanks!

Now I just have to figure out exactly what permutation of the password I used the first time around. Grrrr.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, this stinks. I still can't get in. Either I haven't tried the right password permutation yet, or something else is going on. Anyone have any more helpful suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really appreciate your help. Unfortunately, I am away from home right now, trying to continue a game I started back at home. So I don't have access to the hard drive that contains my original name and password.
Unless there's a way to glean the password from the player logs, I might be out of luck--and I can certainly understand if the designers went out of their way to keep that from being possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had this problem before. So every time I load a new module, I write down the password of that module as I'm unlikely to remember it in a year or two. This happened to me when my computer crashed and I reloaded everything.

This is kludgey, but I found the best answer may be to get into the game on the original computer and resign from the game. Then you can take over as a new player on the new machine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
autumnweave wrote:
This is kludgey, but I found the best answer may be to get into the game on the original computer and resign from the game. Then you can take over as a new player on the new machine.

Unfortunately, without access to my home computer I can't do that either. I guess the game will just have to languish for the next few days.

The thing that makes this so annoying is that I'm sure I remember the password. I just apparently don't remember exactly which letters I turned into numbers or punctuation marks. Or maybe I did something unusual when entering my user name?

Is there any way to glean user names from the saved games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.