Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Goodier
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Conky and I had few hours of game time so we brought out Hammer of the Scots. We haven’t played in awhile so we went through a brief rule refresh session. It came back pretty quickly so we picked sides with me getting the Scots and Bob the English. We setup for the Braveheart scenario and dealt the cards.

Years 1297, 1298, and 1299 played out almost identically to each other. My first set of cards were Truce, 2, 2, 1, 1. I played the Truce Card on my first play hoping Bob wouldn’t play an event card, he didn’t. His turn was then severely limited as far as what he could do. I was able to attack a few areas in northern Scotland and cause a few nobles to defect. The second set of cards were very similar, this time in addition to Truce I also ended up with Herald. I played Herald first and went after Mentieth, but failed. This left the door open for Conky to attack, which he took advantage. I played the Truce card for and Conky was not happy. In fact he even counted the total amount of cards and calculated the odds that I would be dealt the Truce card two years in a row. (Well he certainly wasn’t going to be happy with what would happen in 1299.) He actually told me he’d order me a new card but if played Truce in 1299 he was going to rip the card into multiple pieces.

1299 began and I was dealt not only Truce, but also Herald and Victuals. Conky was not going to like this at all. It is a nice thing to be dealt so many event cards, but it does take away from the amount of attacking I would rather be doing. I started with Truce, then Victuals and finally another failed Herald attempt. Understandably, Conky was irate when I played the Truce card. Things were looking good for the Scots by the end of the third year owning all the way down to Mentieth, there were only three nobles sticking with Longshanks. I started using Mentieth as a breeding ground for my troops in an attempt to make a final push into Southern Scotland.

This is when things began to change for the better for England. The next few years saw no event cards for me yet England received Sea Move a number of times. The English rolled over a few nobles on the west coast and Edward finally wintered in 1301 and keeping a massive force with him in Mentieth. Wallace down to a single hit point made the ultimate sacrifice so Comyn could be crowned King of Scotland. Unfortunately I had to wait until 1302 to coronate him because I had no event cards when Wallace went down. There were only two Scottish Bruce nobles at the time so the defection was minimal but still hurt as it seemed evident this game was going to come down to noble majority.

1304 and Moray was still alive yet a massive English force was brewing in Mentieth. Conky pushed north and took control of Atholl and Angus. I was losing control of to many nobles and there was not much I could do about it. With only one year left to play I was concentrating on just a few areas and keeping Moray alive.

During the winter of 1304 I moved Moray back to his region to keep him away from the English, it was a defensive move that would eventually pay off. It was clear the final year would see a massive battle in both Argyll and Lennox. I needed at least one of these regions and to not lose any others if I wanted to win the game. I was lucky enough to capture Argyll and the Wallace-less Scots won the game 8 Nobles to 6 Nobles.

This was also blogged at http://rhodygamers.blogspot.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You had good luck with event cards! I never get that lucky!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raiko Puust
Estonia
Keila
Harju Maakond
flag msg tools
designer
Raiko & Agnes Forever! Feel the Love and Feel the Warmth. Happiness is 2 hugs plus 3 kisses every hour...:D (http://mrboardgames.wordpress.com/)
badge
Addicted Estonian gamer with big heart and direct winning attitude. Need any help with something, just ask. Need some GG for something, just ask. Need something to be translated, just ask. Meanwhile, behave! :D (http://mrboardgames.wordpress.com/)
mbmbmbmbmb
Thumbs up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bergeron
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That was a lot of fun Dan. I was really fortunate to get some insanely good rolls of the die in order to creep back into the game once I was actually able to attack.

You are also a good guy for not mentioning my screw-up by mixing Ross into my Feudal Levy pool. cry I'll be more careful next time.

Can't wait to play this one again - such a great time. And I will order a back-up Truce card because if you get a bunch of them next time, well, it may be needed. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Goodier
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JackFlash wrote:
You had good luck with event cards! I never get that lucky!

It was really amazing, the fact that i had 3 event cards in one draw was ridiculous. Like i said though, i couldn't really do much because it only allowed me two attack moves on that turn.

Quote:
Great title.
Quote:
Thumbs up!

Thanks guys

Here's an in-game (slightly modified) photo of Friday's play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Years 1297, 1298, and 1299 played out almost identically to each other. My first set of cards were Truce, 2, 2, 1, 1. I played the Truce Card on my first play hoping Bob wouldn’t play an event card, he didn’t. His turn was then severely limited as far as what he could do.

I'm not sure, but I get the feeling that you may have been playing Truce wrong. Truce only prevents the enemy from attacking for one turn (1 card play), not the whole year (5 card plays). Or am I just misreading the emphasis you placed on playing Truce early?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Goodier
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oakfed wrote:
Quote:
Years 1297, 1298, and 1299 played out almost identically to each other. My first set of cards were Truce, 2, 2, 1, 1. I played the Truce Card on my first play hoping Bob wouldn’t play an event card, he didn’t. His turn was then severely limited as far as what he could do.

I'm not sure, but I get the feeling that you may have been playing Truce wrong. Truce only prevents the enemy from attacking for one turn (1 card play), not the whole year (5 card plays). Or am I just misreading the emphasis you placed on playing Truce early?

Oh no...we actually wondered this while playing and deduced (incorrectly from the sounds of things) that attacks were prevented for the entire year. Great, time to add another item to this geeklist. I'm sure Bob will be ecstatic to hear this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bergeron
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
goodweiser wrote:
Oakfed wrote:
Quote:

Oh no...we actually wondered this while playing and deduced (incorrectly from the sounds of things) that attacks were prevented for the entire year. Great, time to add another item to this geeklist. I'm sure Bob will be ecstatic to hear this.

Ecstatic is one way to put it Dan. laugh

Oh well - thanks for the clarification Jeff. BTW, did you find a thread or FAQ that talked about this? I wonder how many other people have played it the way we did?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Couldn't find any official confirmation of this ruling except this old Consimworld post by Jerry Taylor.

However, it seemed the most logical reading of the card to me. The F2FGaming app implemented it this way too. And it wouldn't be much of a Truce if one side was allowed to attack all year and the other side wasn't whistle

Having Truce in your hand is more often annoying (a card play that doesn't allow you to do anything) but occasionally very useful (at the end of a year, it can cement in a temporary good situation or allow a trapped group to escape or survive).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bergeron
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oakfed wrote:
Wouldn't be much of a Truce if one side was allowed to attack all year and the other side wasn't whistle

Having Truce in your hand is more often annoying (a card play that doesn't allow you to do anything) but occasionally very useful (at the end of a year, it can cement in a temporary good situation or allow a trapped group to escape or survive).

Hmm, when you put it that, it does seem rather obvious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Goodier
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
However, it seemed the most logical reading of the card to me. The F2FGaming app implemented it this way too. And it wouldn't be much of a Truce if one side was allowed to attack all year and the other side wasn't

That does seem blatantly obvious now. Thanks for the correction Jeff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Tait
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
goodweiser wrote:
Quote:
However, it seemed the most logical reading of the card to me. The F2FGaming app implemented it this way too. And it wouldn't be much of a Truce if one side was allowed to attack all year and the other side wasn't

That does seem blatantly obvious now. Thanks for the correction Jeff.

Now your session report makes sense! I had read the rule correctly, as it appears from what others are saying (my wife and I finished our first complete game last night), and I was wondering why you thought playing Truce early was so powerful, since the English can just bring blocks into Scotland and attack with them later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.