terry cheung
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everybody,

For now I've only played three 2-player sessions of runewars, yet it's already become my favorite. The changing seasons, 3D mountains and frosten water, wandering heros and all the neutral monsters around, together build up a perfect epic atmosphere. It is so wonderful that you get the pleasure of reading classic fantasy novels from playing a board game.

Come back to the topic, I know that some day I must go for a 4-player game, and a problem of deck allocation arises in my imagination-- how to place the fate deck as to make it easy for all the 4 players to reach and draw? Fate card are so frequently needed (in battle, hero quest, diplomacy..etc) and even in my 2-player game, it is often exhausted before autumn.

So here comes my fancy and suggestion: if an expansion (or a 2nd edition of Runewars) has to come, is it possible to produce one deck of fate card for each player (each deck with card back color corresponding to their race, like--blue for human, red for demon...etc)?

If really make it like this, I think besides giving better reach for the deck, it also gives more flexibility for the designer to edit the possibilities of every unit in every race independently, giving stronger characteristic to each race's battling tendency.

Actually I don't have much brain in logic and game design, maybe I'm wrong, but do you guys think my idea will do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vinny Tee
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played a 2 player game and I didn't really want to reach over a few times to flip fate cards, so I let my friend turn the cards over.

It doesn't really matter who flips the cards. Once the cards are shuffled, the outcome isn't going to magically change because someone else flips fate cards on my turn. It would be different if dice were involved. Everyone rolls dice a little different and I would never allow another player to roll dice for me.

I would actually suggest to everyone in a 4 player game that the person closest to the deck should flip fate cards for all players just to speed things up. I know my group wouldn't mind. Each group is different and some people may insist that they flip their own cards. Go with whatever works for your group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Flipping can work for diplomacy or quest results, but not for combat. The rules indicate that the drawn combat fate cards remain hidden and get revealed in stages - first special powers, then routs, and finally damage. Knowing how much damage your opponent can do prior to resolving special abilities or routing can make a difference in what you decide to do in some situations.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vinny Tee
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right. I should have made it clear we did it for quests and diplomacy only.

I think it can still work with combat. One player passes the necessary number of cards face down to players for combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.