7 Posts

Catan» Forums » Rules

Subject: Settlement placement: clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt F
Australia
flag msg tools
Just got Catan yesterday and we think we have nailed all the rules after checking forums etc except this:

You can only build a settlement at the end of one of your road systems (given you satisfy the distance rule).

You can't build a settlement in the middle of your road section after you have built it:

Simplified Example - I am placing the 2nd settlement

# = settlement
- = road

Right (putting a road at the end of a length of road)

#---#

Wrong (putting a road in the middle of an existing length of road)

#---#--

Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
No. You can build a settlement in the middle of your own road, as long as it is at least 2 corners away from any other settlement/city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like pretty dice
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
There is no such thing as a model or ideal Canadian. What could be more absurd than the concept of an "all Canadian" boy or girl? A society which emphasizes uniformity is one which creates intolerance and hate. Pierre Elliott Trudeau
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you mean
mr_wowtrousers wrote:

Simplified Example - I am placing the 2nd settlement

# = settlement
- = road

Right (putting a road settlement at the end of a length of road)

#---#

Wrong (putting a road settlement in the middle of an existing length of road)

#---#--

You can place a settlement in any legal place, which includes in between existing road segments. Strategy can include building roads past the space where you want to build to prevent your opponents from reaching these spaces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt F
Australia
flag msg tools
And you can go back and put a settlement on a viable intersection later?

That's a biggie!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like pretty dice
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
There is no such thing as a model or ideal Canadian. What could be more absurd than the concept of an "all Canadian" boy or girl? A society which emphasizes uniformity is one which creates intolerance and hate. Pierre Elliott Trudeau
mbmbmbmbmb
mr_wowtrousers wrote:
And you can go back and put a settlement on a viable intersection later?

That's a biggie!

Yes, that's right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt F
Australia
flag msg tools
Thanks for the input guys, next week's game should be a bit more dynamic now. We were kind of getting blockaded more than we thought we should have!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll use / and \ for roads to reflect the shape of the hexes, and # for settlements as you did. And letters to label each corner. If you have:

#/a\b/c\d/e\f/g\h

You could build a new settlement at b, c, d, e, f, g, or h. You can't build a settlement at a. And if you build at c, you can't later build at b or d. You could potentially build four new settlements on this road, at b, d, f, and h.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.