Subject: Solo Moor, Level 3, with variants -- first attempt rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Christmas, most of my Moor solo games have been on complexity level two (expansion decks only). Lately, though, I’ve been spending a lot of my board gaming time getting familiar with Uwe’s other two harvesting projects: Loyang and Le Havre. After reading MisterG’s latest multiplayer Moor session report, I was inspired to dive back in, this time with occupations and all (level three complexity). (Unlike Geoff’s session, I didn’t use the Through the Seasons addition, but I’m interested in trying it later.)

Here’s what happened:

I decide to start out simple with the expansion’s basic deck and the base game’s easy deck. I deal myself 10 occupations, 7 expansion minors, and 6 base game minors, and return three of each. The outcome (“X” marks those returned):

OCCUPATIONS
X 151 MASTER BUILDER
153 MENDICANT
171 DOCK WORKER
187 CLAY DELIVERYMAN
189 LORD OF THE MANOR
190 MAID
X 194 PLOW DRIVER
195 PLOW MAKER
X 200 CONSERVATOR
208 STABLEMASTER

MINOR IMPROVEMENTS, BASIC
M026 HOME WOOD
X M029 POT ROAST RECIPE
M032 PHEROMONES
M036 HEALING CLAY
X M049 MOOR BIRCH TREE
M051 WILLOW BANK
X M057 FARMHANDS’ QUARTERS

MINOR IMPROVEMENTS, EASY
25 SPICES
32 POTATO DIBBER
39 MARKET STALL
X 45 PRIVATE FOREST
X 57 DOVECOTE
X 60 CATTLE MARKET

The clay deliverman will help supply needed clay, and the maid will relieve some food stress once I renovate, as will the pheromones and healing clay (especially if anyone falls ill). The dock worker may be of help if I accumulate a surplus of wood, and the willow bank can augment my reed supply. The spices, potato dibber, and market stall could assist with vegetables.

I also choose the variant where cooking improvements need a fuel to become active. My goal is 72 as described in the instruction booklet. Here’s the lay of my farm:

START CARD 2
_ F F F _
H M M _ _
H M _ F F

I’ll identify my farm positions below using Cartesian coordinates, with (0,0) being the lower left corner and (5,3) the upper right.

STAGE 1

ROUND 1: IMPROVEMENT, 4/5P SLASH & BURN/CUT PEAT

DAY LABORER: +2 FOOD
SLASH & BURN (5,1): +1 FIELD
CUT PEAT (2,1): +3 FUEL, -2 FOOD
TAKE GRAIN: +1 GRAIN

ROUND 2: SOW & BAKE, 5P BLACK MARKET/CLANDESTINE WORK

DAY LABORER: +2 FOOD
TAKE CLAY: +2 CLAY

ROUND 3: FENCES

MAJOR IMPROVEMENT
FIREPLACE: -2 CLAY
BLACK MARKET: -1 FUEL
WILLOW BANK
TAKE GRAIN: +1 GRAIN

ROUND 4: SHEEP, 5P HIRING FAIR/FELL TREES

FELL TREES (2,3): +2 WOOD, +1 REED
SOW: -1 GRAIN
FISHING: +4 FOOD

HARVEST
FIELD: +1 GRAIN
FEED: -6 FOOD
HEAT: -2 FUEL
BREED: 0

My first available special actions are good ones to start with, so I use two of them, with the day laborer paying for the second. With a field already in play, I take a grain in hopes of sowing before the harvest. While I await a nice haul of wood, I take clay and a little more food, then build the fireplace. The black market allows me to put the willow bank in play, then I clear some trees and discover reed in the mix -- surprise! I take another grain for good measure, sow, and fish. Uneventful harvest, so on I go.

STAGE 2

ROUND 5: STONE, 2P HORSE COPER, HIRING FAIR, BLACK MARKET, CLANDESTINE WORK

OCCUPATION
CLAY DELIVERYMAN
TAKE REED: +5 REED

ROUND 6: FAMILY GROWTH THEN MINOR IMPROVEMENT, 4P HORSE COPER/FELL TREES

+1 CLAY
TAKE WOOD: +12 WOOD
BUILD ROOMS (1,3) (2,3): -10 WOOD, -4 REED
HORSE COPER: +1 HORSE
FAMILY GROWTH
MINOR IMPROVEMENT
PHEROMONES: +1 FOOD

ROUND 7: RENOVATION THEN IMPROVEMENT, 4P HIRING FAIR/BLACK MARKET/CLANDESTINE WORK

+1 CLAY
ACTIVATE COOKING IMPROVEMENT: -1 WOOD
TAKE SHEEP: +3 SHEEP
COOK: -3 SHEEP, +6 FOOD
TAKE CLAY: +5 CLAY
BLACK MARKET: -1 WOOD
HEALING CLAY: -1 CLAY, +1 FOOD
RENOVATE TO CLAY HUT: -1 REED, -4 CLAY
MAJOR IMPROVEMENT
FORESTER’S LODGE: -1 WOOD, -2 CLAY

HARVEST
FIELDS: +1 GRAIN
FEED: -8 FOOD, +1 BEGGING
HEAT: -1 WOOD, +2 ILL

The stone comes out early, and the horse coper debuts, albeit the expensive one. I’ll pass for now. I put the clay deliveryman in play since he starts work in the next round. I haul in a load of reed and wood and build two rooms on my hovel, and then take a free horse. I can wait for the next round to grow my family and save on feeding, but the extra action will be useful, and my mendicant can help cover a food shortfall, so I add one, and pull out the pheromones for a little food. I light up the fireplace to barbecue mutton, and then take some clay for my upcoming renovation. Seeing a fuel shortage in my future, I get the healing clay to make the most of my trips to the infirmary. I renovate, then build the forester’s lodge, eyeing the many forests still lying on my land. I go begging for a food, and two family members get chills.

STAGE 3

ROUND 8: WILD BOAR, 3P FELL TREES/HIRING FAIR/BLACK MARKET/CLANDESTINE WORK

+1 CLAY
INFIRMARY: +2 FOOD
INFIRMARY: +2 FOOD
FELL TREES (4,3): +4 WOOD, +1 REED
OCCUPATION (-1 FOOD):
MAID

ROUND 9: VEGETABLE, 2P FELL TREES/SLASH & BURN/CUT PEAT

+1 FOOD, +1 CLAY
TAKE STONE: +5 STONE
MAJOR IMPROVEMENT
PEAT-CHARCOAL KILN: -1 STONE
CUT PEAT (2,1): +5 FUEL, -2 FOOD
SLASH & BURN (4,1)
FISHING: +5 FOOD

HARVEST
FIELDS: +1 GRAIN
FEED: -7 FOOD, -1 GRAIN, +1 BEGGING
HEAT: -3 FUEL

Sick leave yields four food with the healing clay. I clear more trees very efficiently, and then the maid arrives, promising more food. Once everyone’s feeling better, I take the stone and build the peat-charcoal kiln in time to cut some peat and gain needed fuel. I pay to burn off another forest for a field, then resort to fishing, but it’s not enough and I go begging again -- fortunately still within the mendicant’s purview.

STAGE 4

ROUND 10: CATTLE

+1 FOOD, +1 CLAY
FELL TREES (4,3): +4 WOOD, +1 REED
TAKE WOOD: +8 WOOD
FAMILY GROWTH
MINOR IMPROVEMENT
POTATO DIBBER: -1 WOOD
MAJOR IMPROVEMENT
MUSEUM OF THE MOORS: -1 CLAY, -1 REED, -1 STONE

ROUND 11: STONE, 3P HORSE COPER/SLASH & BURN/CUT PEAT

CUT PEAT (3,2): +5 FUEL
FENCES (3,2) (4-5,2) (4-5,3): -13 WOOD
TAKE WILD BOAR: +4 BOAR
TAKE CATTLE: +2 CATTLE
TAKE SHEEP: +4 SHEEP
COOK: -4 SHEEP, -1 BOAR, +10 FOOD
TAKE VEGETABLE: +1 VEGETABLE

HARVEST
FIELD: 0
FEED: -12 FOOD
HEAT: -2 FUEL
BREED: +1 BOAR, +1 CATTLE

I need lay down some fences soon, so I get my materials in order, then grow my family again so I’m able to take a variety of animals. I add the potato dibber to increase my vegetable production and build the moor museum to save on major endeavors. I clear another space for more fuel, fence in three pastures, and drive home boar, cattle, and sheep, but I route the sheep right into my fireplace for some yummies. I take a vegetable, feed and heat sufficiently, and breed a couple livestock.

STAGE 5

ROUND 12: FAMILY GROWTH WITHOUT SPACE, 5P HORSE COPER

+1 FOOD, +1 CLAY
FAMILY GROWTH WITHOUT SPACE
HORSE COPER: -1 FOOD
TAKE STONE: +3 STONE
RENOVATE TO STONE HOUSE: -1 REED, -4 STONE
MAJOR IMPROVEMENT
STONE OVEN: -1 CLAY, -2 STONE
BAKE: -2 GRAIN, +8 FOOD
SOW: -1 GRAIN, -1 VEGETABLE

ROUND 13: PLOW & SOW, 2P HORSE COPER/HIRING FAIR/BLACK MARKET/CLANDESTINE WORK

+1 FOOD, +1 CLAY
MAJOR IMPROVEMENT
COOKING HEARTH: RETURN FIREPLACE
TAKE CATTLE: +2 CATTLE
COOK: -1 BOAR, -2 CATTLE, +11 FOOD
TAKE STONE: +3 STONE
TAKE REED: +8 REED
CLANDESTINE WORK: -1 FOOD, -1 FUEL
BASKETMAKER’S WORKSHOP: -1 REED, -2 STONE
TAKE WOOD: +6 WOOD

HARVEST
FIELD: +1 GRAIN, +1 VEGETABLE
FEED: -15 FOOD
HEAT: -2 WOOD
BREED: +1 BOAR, +1 CATTLE, +1 HORSE

I grow my family for the last time, and I recall that all three were not immediately before a harvest -- costly growth this game. I get another horse to breed them for rich points. I take stone and renovate again, then also build an inexpensive stone oven. I bake two grain, then sow a third and my high-yield vegetable. I trade my fireplace for a cooking hearth and bring in more cattle to roast. I find more stone and reed and take the basketmaker’s workshop (thank you willow bank). The wood can help eliminate a negative with my lack of sheep, so I haul it in. The harvest is productive. Now the home stretch.

STAGE 6

ROUND 14: RENOVATE THEN FENCES

+1 FOOD, +1 CLAY
MENDICANT
PLOW (3,1)
SOW: -1 VEGETABLE
BUILD STABLE (2,1): -2 WOOD
TAKE SHEEP: +3 SHEEP
COOK: -2 SHEEP, -1 BOAR, -1 CATTLE, +11 FOOD
MAJOR IMPROVEMENT
CLAY OVEN: -2 CLAY, -1 STONE
CLANDESTINE WORK: -1 FOOD, -1 WOOD
RIDING STABLES: -2 WOOD, -1 CLAY, -1 REED
TAKE WOOD: +2 WOOD

HARVEST
FIELD: +1 GRAIN, +2 VEGETABLE
FEED: -14 FOOD, -1 GRAIN
HEAT: -2 WOOD
BREED: +1 CATTLE, +1 HORSE

Time for the mendicant to erase my history of begging. I plow and sow vegetables, thinking I may cook a harvested one for food. I build a stable and put a sheep there, cooking two others along with a boar and cattle since I’ve no room for breeding otherwise -- turns out food really wasn’t going to be a problem. I build the clay oven for points, and work clandestinely for the riding stables for more. A couple wood will get me another bonus point on the peat-charcoal kiln. Harvest requires I eat a grain and burn two wood for heat. Cattle and horse multiply. And the tally:

SCORE
FIELDS: 3 2
PASTURES: 3 3
GRAIN: 2 1
VEGETABLES: 5 4
SHEEP: 1 1
WILD BOAR: 3 2
CATTLE: 4 3
HORSE: 4 4
UNUSED SPACES: 0 0
FENCED STABLES: 0 0
CLAY HUT ROOMS: 0 0
STONE HOUSE ROOMS: 4 8
FAMILY MEMBERS: 5 15
ILL FAMILY MEMBERS: 0 0
SUBTOTAL 43

COOKING HEARTH 1
CLAY OVEN 2
STONE OVEN 3
BASKETMAKER’S WORKSHOP 2
5 REED BONUS 3
PEAT-CHARCOAL KILN 1
4 FUEL, 1 WOOD BONUS 2
FORESTER’S LODGE 1
1 FOREST BONUS 1
RIDING STABLES 3
MUSEUM OF THE MOORS 3
BEGGING (2) -6
MENDICANT (-2) 6
SUBTOTAL 22

TOTAL 65

I fell short of my goal by seven, but feel pretty good about this with it being my first attempt at this level. I only put three occupations into play, so perhaps I’ve got room to grow here. The special actions, expansion major and minor improvements, and forests and moors certainly add a lot to think through during play on top of the base game’s multiple components. But the potential for greater point totals awaits with each choice. I look forward to my next attempt.

Thank you for reading. I welcome any comments or critiques.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Coleman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dlewis2 wrote:
ROUND 6: FAMILY GROWTH THEN MINOR IMPROVEMENT, 4P HORSE COPER/FELL TREES+1 CLAY
TAKE WOOD: +12 WOOD
BUILD ROOMS (1,3) (2,3): -10 WOOD, -4 REED
FAMILY GROWTH/MINOR IMPROVEMENT/PHEROMONES: +1 FOOD

Hi David. So I see you're writing up Agricola solo sessions. After reading your Loyang writeups, I enjoyed this one just as much, though I'm not sure why your paragraphs run off the page. Just one comment/question: How were you able to take 3 actions in Rd 6, the third being your first family growth? I found I made many mistakes the first two times I played FoTM solo. Your writeup set me straight on another one - not discarding special action cards when not used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hgcoleman wrote:
... I'm not sure why your paragraphs run off the page.

I'm not sure either. They don't look that way when I pull it up. Is it my narratives or fixed-text, or both?

Quote:
How were you able to take 3 actions in Rd 6, the third being your first family growth?

Probably because my mind was racing ahead of my fingers, and I was anticipating my options more than acting in the moment. It was an error and I knew better. This is one of the challenges with solo play: No competitors to keep you honest (even when your intentions are best). Thanks very much for catching that ( ). Now I'm motivated to try again!

And thanks for the compliments -- I'm glad you enjoyed it. If you are a fan of Le Havre, I've posted a few solo games there recently, too, if you're so inclined.

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.