BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: My next Vlaada Chvátil? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there, I recently purchased Galaxy Trucker and am loving it!! My b'day is coming up soon and I'm on the fence about two games...

Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization...and...Dungeon Lords.

I've read pretty much all the reviews for both and just can't decide!
I like the idea of both...but I'm still...on...the...fence...

I love the idea of a civilisation game, building your empire etc...and this one seems to be the best there is...
But I also love the theme and idea of managing a dungeon. It's just awesome.
As far as I'm aware, Through the Ages seems to play better with 2 or 3 and Dungeon Lords with 4. I don't have a preference.

A few questions...

1. If you had to pick one as being more 'fun'?

2. Do they have similar levels of low interaction?

3. Replay value?

4. What one hits the table more often?

5. Has one just got more bang for its buck?

It would be great to hear from people who have played both!

Please help me choose!! Thanks!!

And for good measure.......A poll.......

Quiz
    56 answers
Quiz created by drmutt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kunsemiller
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Mischievous Hobbes is Mischievous
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a really tough comparison, as the games are so drastically different! Through the ages is a very long, involved back and forth struggle where you are balancing a lot of different things, and dungeon lords is a worker placement building game.

In a sense of "create something and then see how it does" that you have in Galaxy Trucker, I would recommend Dungeon Lords. You essentially invest and create a dungeon (rather then a truck) and then see how it fairs against the adventurers.

Another big aspect of Galaxy Trucker is the chaos of people racing around trying to make their ship under time pressure. If that particuar aspect of it is something you are drawn to, I would encourage you to also consider Space Alert, which has that "chaotic time pressure" feel to it as well.

EDIT*** After posting I realized I hadn't answered your questions. See below.

Here are my answers to your questions: (I'll through in Space Alert as well since I recommended it)

In order of "fun" I would rank them thusly:
Space Alert, Dungeon Lords, Through the Ages

In order of "stimulating" (I hope you know what i mean here, stop snickering) I would rank them in the reverse:
Through the Ages, Dungeon Lords, Space Alert

In terms of player interaction, Through the Ages has the most, as there is a military aspect, and you can purposefully destroy things that people have invested time and effort into. The military aspect isn't the focus of the game, but it's there. Dungeon Lords has some player interaction in terms of "I chose what that guy wanted, hah hah!" but through the ages has aspects of that as well. Space alert is high in player interaction because it's a co-op.

3. Replay value?
I think Through the Ages wins this one, since there is a huge variety to the cards and what combintions of things you can do. But then again, a lot of groups have a hard time getting this to the table because it takes so long, so you may not get to play it as often as dungeon lords which probably has more general appeal. The replay value on dungeon lords is ok, but not that great, as the variety in rooms and monsters that you build is fairly limited, so after you've played it a few times, it won't feel like a drastically different experience. The replay value on Space Alert is entirely dependent on whether you game group "digs it" or not. If they do, it will be great, and if not, it won't.

For me it's Space Alert, but I really enjoy that game. This is followed by Dungeon Lords, followed by Through the Ages. I like them all, but through the ages is harder to get players for.

This is entirely based on personal gaming preference. Due to the variety of through the ages, and the length of the experience, you may say it has the most. Due to the unique experience of space alert, you may think it wins here, hard to say.

Summary:
Through the ages: Deep, long, involved game that can vary from play to play based on the cards you get. There can be a lot of different paths to victory that you experiment with, but the game may be hard to get plays in becuase it is intimidating and long.

Dungeon Lords: Fun worker placement building game with a cool theme. This is probably the most appealing to a wider audience, and the easiest of the three to play (after getting through a few quirky rules issues). That being said, you may find it gets old after a few plays.

Space Alert: CO-op game that is very frenetic and fast paced. The games are short, lasting only about 20 minutes (once the rules explination is taken care of) which is nice, typically we'll play through a number of scenarios at a sitting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Forbes

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TTA is awesome, full stop. If you don't find the length daunting and can deal with it being harder to get to the table for the reason of length, then consider it, very strongly.

Dungeon Lords seems decent. I've only played it once with 2, and, frankly, I only want to play it with 4. It is less zany than Galaxy trucker, a lot more methodical. I'll need to play it a few more times to be sure, but my bet is that, no, it won't be as good as TTA, or Galaxy Trucker.

Neither game is super silly fun, they're both more on the "mentally stimulating" side of things. But TTA feels more like an actual civilization game, whereas Dungeon Lords feels a lot more like doing a puzzle.

Looking at your collection, I'm going to say that TTA would fit in nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As another new Vlaada fan also through Galaxy Trucker I vote for Space Alert!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! You guys are awesome. This helps a lot! More than most of the things I've read. Great. Haha I'm thinking now it might be a case of getting both when the money comes around. And now I'm going to check out Space Alert aswell...But anyway, I'll sleep on it and head to the game shop in the morning! Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmb
Sounds like you will end up with all of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have a local games shop with these kind of games? Right that does it, I'm moving from this crummy little backwater called Brisbane to New Zealand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heheh yeah there are at least five in Auckland that I know of...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Charlton
United Kingdom
East Barnet
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
www.finchleygamesclub.org
mbmbmbmbmb
Bunny Bunny Moose Moose!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Steindorfer
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
i would go with Dungeon Lords because i don´t like Trough the Ages very much ... it has many unique and interesting mechanism ,but even in the 3rd edition coming from Pegasus there is so much unclear and clompicated on the cards and there exact interaction , also the art on the cards is to detailed so there is no chance to really get a feeling of building a civ ... if you can get 4 people regulary go with Dungeon Lords or if you need the best coop experience go with Space Alert...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I rate Through the Ages an "11" and it has been my favorite game for almost a year now.

I rate Dungeon Lords a "0", since I have zero desire to play it. This is based on impressions given by people I know, reading the rules, and seeing it in action at BGGcon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fel Barros
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Senior Game Developer at CMON
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt, Both games have a very large deal of rules and are on the heavier end of the spectrum. TTA, however, takes much more time (at least among our group) than Dungeonlords and it feels more like an "event-like" game than Dungeonlords. TTA has more direct conflict as well.

All in all, I do believe that TTA is a much better game than Dungeonlords but you have to look for your current gaming needs. If you feel your collection lacks a long, deep and complex game (for eurogamer standards) go for TTA , if you are looking for a deep themed , beautiful , 2h game and with some challenge, I'd advise for Dungeonlords.

However, as people said, you will end up owning both as they are really great games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played and love both so I will give my honest assessment

I would say the DL is probably the more "fun" of the two.

TtA has more direct interaction than DL. There is quite a bit of player interation with military.

3. Replay value?

TtA wins in this department too. Lots of interesting strategies to make.

Because of it's replay value, TtA also wins in this department too.

Again, TtA has been played on my table many many times in the last 3 years. DL is a cool and fun game, but I just don't see it hitting the table as often. As DL doesn't give as deep and varied experience as TTA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.