Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was making my first Avatar for the Advanced Campaign and decided to make the Baron of Hell. At first, I was thinking that was the CyberDemon, but my lack of Doom lore is showing and I'm now wondering if he's more of a beefed up Hell Knight.

Anyone more schooled in the ways of Doom, can you tell me A) which model is better, the Cyber Demon or the Hell Knight and B) any other general lore information I should know about in crafting his special abilities and upgrades.

Thanks,

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
In the 1st videogames, the Baron of hell looks exactly like the Hell knight (colors excepted : HK pink-brown ; Baron light brown-brown).
I've painted my HK minis like Barons.

Edit : typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm starting to see that. So, my Baron of Hell is my "hell knight" Avatar. I'm thinking he's to be a Hell Knight with 5 extra wounds, and his campaign special ability "Brute Force: Every melee invader is given an additional Deadly ability." Just trying to finish up the card for him and then create some specific Avatar upgrades.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
The computer game Barons of Hell didn't just look like Hellknights, they basically were Hellknights. They just had twice as many hit points as Hellknights, and were otherwise identical (apart from colouration).

Which means giving them special mastermind-type abilities isn't really appropriate if you are trying to stick closely to the computer game universe. They are just bigger bruisers.

Of course, all the early end-game baddies became common-place as the Doom universe moved forward. The original Barons were the boss-monsters at the end of Doom episode I, but appeared fairly often in episode II onwards. The Cyberdemon was the Doom episode II boss, but there's a few dozen of them scattered through episodes III and IV, Doom II and Final Doom. The Spiderdemon (aka Spider Mastermind) from episode III had a dozen sisters in later games, and even the Icon of Sin was re-used as final bosses for the Final Doom episodes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Doom: The Boardgame is based on Doom 3, which "reinvented" Doom, I felt I could reuse some of the earlier names. Baron of Hell just sounds like a cool Lieutenant or Avatar name, so thought it would fit.

For my Avatars, I wanted to have the following:
- A Cyberdemon
- A Hell Knight
- A Vagary
- A Cacodemon
- One of the 1space creatures (maybe an Imp or an ArchVile)

I'm not familiar enough with the Doom lore to know what should go where though. I found some good pictures I could use for a Baron of Hell, Kronos (another Hell Knight it looks like), Pain Elemental and Malwrath for a Cacodemon, Imp Lord for an Imp, and I kind of think Bertruger should be an Avatar.

As for Lieutenants, I was thinking the Hunters would be good, but also Saboath, and the Guardian would make good Lts. I have to come up with a couple more though (maybe the Pain Elemental is a Lt for the Malwrath Avatar? And the Baron of Hell is the Lt for Kronos?).

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to update, I decided to go with Kronos as the Avatar and the Baron of Hell as the Lt:

Now I have to create their end-levels...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.