Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Boone
United States
Harrison
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I LOVE this game. I've met a member/survivor of C/1/116 (I think, I was too stunned to keep the camera rolling,,,long story) and now I find myself sympathizing with my markers as they rush the beach. It brings me one step closer to understanding why some REFUSE to play war games. It's a bit crushing to understand that the markers represent real people. I think I'm coming down with a complex.

Is it bad to pray for your markers as they hit the beach?

Bottom line: I think you've done it. I don't know how. I wish I could quantify it. But, it seems you've managed to cross the line from an engaging computer/console game to table top board game. At least or me.

Thanks,
Steve

(Is that the correct sentiment?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I felt something similar when I recently encountered a crew member from the USS Pueblo. History made real.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Baker
United States
Ocean Springs
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Games with dragons, spaceships, and bears aren’t wargames. Call them conquest games or strategy games or crap but they aren’t wargames.
mbmbmbmbmb
I kind of thought using the term “preservation move” added a little humanity to the little card board chits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Langdon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep i had one game where i lost 4 companies within 4 turns on the 29th's side. I had a feeling of despair that gave me a minute inkling into what it must have been like, theres nothing wrong with contemplating sacrifice on the field of battle and appreciating/remembering the effort. Its a game but its illuminating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
I love wargames that tell a story. Which is probably why I play more tactical wargames than Operational. The story just feels more personal. The inclusion of heroes just heightens the experience and creates a personal viewpoint. Fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve,
This is the reason why, every time I run a simulation in my classroom and my students choose military operations that lead to conflict, I total up the human cost for them at the end. So if they have a naval battle and they sink 10 destroyers, I let them know how many souls just perished based on estimates of military casualties. It helps them realize that, while war is sometimes necessary, it does come with very real costs they need to think about and be aware of when they make decisions.

That being said, I have many students who tell me how much they enjoy the simulations because it engages them in the subject matter, much like wargmes do for us gamers.
V/R,
Tim

Note: Man, I need to use spell check more often! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.