Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arpad Orfi
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everybody,

Could you please tell me what is the difference between unsubscribing from an item (thread, user, item) or blocking it?

The other thing what is hazy to me is on the 'Change notifications preferences' screen (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/subscriptions/prefs):

What is the right column 'Include in subscriptions (defaults)...' for?

Could someone tell me one by one (Threads, Users, Items) the purpose of this column and its settings?

And again, the confusion about blocking: at the bottom of the left column, Trade Geeklists:
What is the difference in effect between 'No' and 'Block'?

Many thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Block is for extreme cases like if someone is being abusive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arpad Orfi
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens if I subscribe to a Game (item) and then Block it? Does it make any sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M H
Germany
Göttingen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oarpi wrote:
What happens if I subscribe to a Game (item) and then Block it? Does it make any sense?

Does it make any sense to subscribe to a news paper and then shoot the paper boy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
whac3 wrote:

While that's one use, it's far from the only one.

For example, I subscribe to all of my geekbuddies. But I have no interest in some forums, so I block those forums - which overrides my subscriptions. The combination of subscriptions and blocks get me what I'm looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It is possible for me to get notifications for two different reasons:

1. I subscribe to a forum (e.g., Hot Deals)
2. I ask to be notified of changes to specific threads.

If someone starts a thread in "Hot Deals" (e.g., "Monopoly variants - $40 each @ WalMart") I will be automatically subscribed because of the forum. So, if I don't want to see this thread, I need to block it. Unsubscribing will not help because I'm not subscribed to the thread itself.

Blocking users is a different thing entirely - everybody say it with me: "DISCUSSING WHO YOU BLOCKED IS A ZERO TOLERANCE OFFENCE". But in the context of your question, blocking a user shouldn't be necessary because if you don't want to see their posts you can remove them from your subscriptions and nothing will override that (except randomly stumbling on their stuff somewhere on the site).

whac3 wrote:

I use it for a variety of things: someone is rude; a person's avatar creeps me out; someone routinely posts a lot of garbage that I don't want to waste my time reading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arpad Orfi
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And what is the right column 'Include in subscriptions (defaults)...' on the 'Change notifications preferences' screen ( http://www.boardgamegeek.com/subscriptions/prefs) for?
What can I set with those settings?
How are those settings work?

Many thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arpad Orfi
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oarpi wrote:
And what is the right column 'Include in subscriptions (defaults)...' on the 'Change notifications preferences' screen ( http://www.boardgamegeek.com/subscriptions/prefs) for?
What can I set with those settings?
How are those settings work?

Many thanks.

Can't find it in the Wiki pages of BGG, nor anywhere else on Forums.
Can somebody help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are just the default things you will be subscribed to when you create a new subscription. So for instance if you set the defaults for forums to include threads and replies, you'll get a notification for all threads and all replies in any forum you subscribe to.

But if you want to change it for a particular forum, then you can override the defaults by going to the Manage Subscriptions page (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/subscriptions/manage/feeds), dropping down the arrow for that forum and clicking edit subscription.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.