Orin Bishop
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just curious, has Nyarlathotep appeared in an asylum pack thus far? I always liked him since I read that Lovecraft supposedly based the character on Nikola Tesla.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The old Black bordered version of the BIG N had a great concept, but was flawed.

Nyarly had a loyal requirement for all seven factions. However, he SHOULD, imo, have had card text saying he could not be played in any fashion without all seven factions represented in the player's resources.

Therefore he could be called up casually by Shub players with their character-swapping cards. Sort of took ALL the coolness away from him for me.

"Oh,(yawn) here's Nyarlathotep again."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Taton
Belgium
Rouvreux
Liege
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For Nyalry himself, Chick answered.
But we also had "Avatar of Nyarlathotep" which were quite cool to play: several in the Eldritch block (CCG) and one in the Arkham block (CCG too).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Peters
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
It's time to go Full Chort.
badge
‎"NO FATE BUT THE NARRATIVES WE IMPOSE ON LIFE'S RANDOM CHAOS TO DISTRACT OURSELVES FROM OUR EXISTENTIAL PLIGHT"
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:
Nyarly had a loyal requirement for all seven factions.
Wait, what? I didn't get into the game until its LCG years and, as such, have never seen this card. How did it work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
He meant that it had a Steadfast cost of 1 for each Faction, not Loyalty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Peters
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
‎"NO FATE BUT THE NARRATIVES WE IMPOSE ON LIFE'S RANDOM CHAOS TO DISTRACT OURSELVES FROM OUR EXISTENTIAL PLIGHT"
mbmbmbmbmb
So to play him normally you'd have to have at least one of all seven factions in your resources? I don't know how awesome he was, but he couldn't possibly have been worth the trouble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
n Mzi
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the wording of the card:

•Nyarlathotep, The Crawling Chaos
---------------------------------
- Steadfast [AGENCY][MISKATONIC][SYNDICATE][CTHULHU][HASTUR][YOG-SOTHOTH][SHUB-NIGGURATH] -
Type : Character
Coût : 0
Skill : 6
Icones : TTCCA
Sous-type : Ancient One.
Descriptif : Villainous. Toughness +4. Each Avatar of Nyarlathotep character gains TT. Action: pay 3 to take control of an Avatar of Nyarlathotep character.
Flavor text :
Illustrateur : Cyril Van Der Haegen
Info Collectionneur : MN R130

He was easily playable using "Necro" cards from the Shub faction (Change of Season, Obnoxious Birth, Hungry Dark Young, etc.): toss it in the discard pile and bring it back to play (not even necessary to discard it with the Hungry Dark Young).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
n Mzi
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And... The next AP features NYARLA HIMSELF!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
n Mzi
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The AP is out in Europe (thank you Edge!)

•Nyarlathotep, The Black Pharaoh (x1)
Character - Ancient One.
Cost 4 / Skill 4 / Icons
Villainous. Toughness +2.
During the resource phase, if an opponent wishes to attach a resource to a domain, the resource must be chosen at random from his hand. (Choose the domain first, then randomly determine the resource.)
Journey to Unknown Kadath F117 / Illustrator Diane Özdamar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
That is insane for only 4 cost. What is the faction? And the icons?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Peters
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He's neutral. My cards are at home and I don't recall the icons, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sleaze
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This Card seems realy insane... wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LordHellfury wrote:
Shub-Niggurath 1st turn: Exhaust two domains that have a single resource to bring out two Priestess of Bubastis. Exhaust both Priestess of Bubastis and the final domain with two resources in it, out pops Nyarly. Pass turn to opponent.

Are we talking Core Set Priestess of Bubastis? Don't know if there are others, but at least my CS PoB lowers the cost of the next Shubby character you play by 1 (Nyarly isn't a Shubby char).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the pic, that is just insane at 4-cost. Insane!!!! zombie

LordHellfury wrote:
Shub-Niggurath 1st turn: Exhaust two domains that have a single resource to bring out two Priestess of Bubastis. Exhaust both Priestess of Bubastis and the final domain with two resources in it, out pops Nyarly. Pass turn to opponent.

Rauli is right, the Priestess will only work on in-faction characters. But Shub is still the way to go here. How about Gibbering Soul with Eat the Dead attached for your first turn. You go fishing for him if he's not in your hand, and then play him on the next turn with the 4-domain, courtesy of Eat the Dead.

My prediction: He's banned within a year. This guy is way too similar to Jaqen H'ghar in terms of crazy abilities. I don't think he's long for this format. He's really cool and has a serious "wow" factor, but he has NPE written all over him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did work out that Shub could have Nyarly and Y'golonac out on turn 2 with Ghoulish Worshipper(s).

Turn 1: Resources 2/1/1 Bubastis, exhaust, play GS
Turn 2: Resources 2/2/1, Ancient Ones cost 3, so exhaust Bubastis and play 2nd GS (-1 cost from 1st GS and -1 from Buba), AOs now cost 2 less yuk (assuming they are cumulative, haven't seen anything that says otherwise).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Peters
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
radynski wrote:
but he has NPE written all over him.
NPE? Negative Play Experience?

His special ability is kind of... nasty. And not in a good way. Choosing what to resource and what to keep is a pretty core part of this game. I can definitely imagine, if a card like this was played against me in my younger years, just saying, "Screw this. I quit."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fnord3125 wrote:

Yes

fnord3125 wrote:
Choosing what to resource and what to keep is a pretty core part of this game.

QFT

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fnord3125 wrote:
radynski wrote:
but he has NPE written all over him.

His special ability is kind of... nasty. And not in a good way. Choosing what to resource and what to keep is a pretty core part of this game. I can definitely imagine, if a card like this was played against me in my younger years, just saying, "Screw this. I quit."

That is pretty much what my son said to me last night when I played it on him about turn 4. Not sure I'll be using that card much unless I specifically create a "jerk deck" (which would have to include Aspiring Artist too).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Peters
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the idea of him as a neutral Ancient One, but the power... ick. I'd feel like a jerk playing him against someone, and I'd just be pissed if someone played him against me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katja Heetland
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have to agree with people saying its a downer to play against.
Colorcrayons used that against me last night after we went to the LFGS and he thought he would give it a try in the Hastur deck. As if that deck doesnt have enough control in it already...

My reaction:
"Ya know, Patrick. As much as I hate cards like cavern of flame and lunch lady, I REALLY hate that card. This game was so unfun with it."

He still lost using it, but that card makes me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
It's a good thing I'm living in sin or this card could lead to divorce.
Nyarly is a major douche. nuclear

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.