Hide
8 Posts

Descent: The Road to Legend» Forums » Rules

Subject: Healing after death and threat questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Wilson
msg tools
Wow this is a tough game to master. We had no problem with Arkham Horror but this one has us looking at the rules constantly. Confused about lots of things....

1. When you die and return to the temple, is your health and fatigue restored to full? If so does this occur instantly or do you have to wait until the next turn?

2. We had a hero with ten poison and 6 wounds left go through a glyph to the temple. He spent 25 coins to remove 5 poison twice. Then drank two potions to restore 6 wounds. We have no idea if this was correct. Can he do all these actions in one turn? Does he remove 5 poison, or 8 because his total wounds is 16? So confused by all this...

3. After the heroes killed the leader on the first level of the dungeon, it took them many turns to retrieve villagers and whatnot...during this time the OL was building up a lot of threat, even used up all the tokens. Is this correct, or at this stage can the heroes move about freely and the OL doesn't rack up threat.

4. Once a dungeon is complete, does the OL have to discard all his threat or does he keep it?

5. Can a hero return to Tamalir through the dungeon's starting glyph, or do they have to open the second glyph on the level in order to return to town? If they're on the second level, can they go back to the first level through the glyph?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Massey
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. When you die, your health and fatigue are returned to full immediately. Of course, you still have to wait until your next turn to do anything. If you died on your turn, it ends at the moment of your death.

2. I believe that you can only take one "restock" action at the temple per turn. I could be wrong here since my players don't ever use the temple (fools!). The healing potions were illegal in two ways. One, you can't drink more than one potion per turn, period. Two, you sacrifice your entire turn to teleport to town and take a restock action. The hero player would have had to wait until she returned to the dungeon in order to have any movement points with which to consume the potion. This second point is only applicable using the campaign rules.

3. You did this correctly. The heroes have to hustle at all times. The OL will continue to build threat as long as they are in the dungeons. You could even continue to play spawns or traps from your hand until they are all through the portal or a glyph.

4. The OL discards his threat at the end of every dungeon. When I say "dungeon," I mean every series of three levels (or more in the case of special dungeons). The OL keeps his threat, power cards, and hand between levels as long as they are part of a continuous dungeon location.

5. The heroes can return from town through any glyph that is currently active for one movement point. Although I don't believe it's ever mentioned explicitly in the rules, they probably cannot return to the first level since you generally clean it up off of the table in order to set up the second level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Einich
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skurge13 wrote:
Wow this is a tough game to master. We had no problem with Arkham Horror but this one has us looking at the rules constantly. Confused about lots of things....

1. When you die and return to the temple, is your health and fatigue restored to full? If so does this occur instantly or do you have to wait until the next turn?

2. We had a hero with ten poison and 6 wounds left go through a glyph to the temple. He spent 25 coins to remove 5 poison twice. Then drank two potions to restore 6 wounds. We have no idea if this was correct. Can he do all these actions in one turn? Does he remove 5 poison, or 8 because his total wounds is 16? So confused by all this...

3. After the heroes killed the leader on the first level of the dungeon, it took them many turns to retrieve villagers and whatnot...during this time the OL was building up a lot of threat, even used up all the tokens. Is this correct, or at this stage can the heroes move about freely and the OL doesn't rack up threat.

4. Once a dungeon is complete, does the OL have to discard all his threat or does he keep it?

5. Can a hero return to Tamalir through the dungeon's starting glyph, or do they have to open the second glyph on the level in order to return to town? If they're on the second level, can they go back to the first level through the glyph?

1. It occurs instantly, but if you die during your turn (because of a trap or a Dark Charm for instance), you end your turn immediately.

2. He can't do all this in one turn. First, you can heal only 5 health at the temple (if not upgraded) per turn, by paying 25 gold. You cannot pay 50 gold to heal for 10 health, unless you spend 2 turns doing that. Second, heroes can drink only one potion per turn. Third, in RtL (I assume you are playing RtL because he had to pay 25 gold to heal at the temple) heroes can drink no potion at all while in the city because they can only restock there: they cannot spend movement points in there, so no drinking a potion.

3. This was correct. Why were you so slow? Don't the villagers move on their own?

4. If a dungeon level is complete, the OL keeps all his threat and power cards for the next level. If a whole dungeon is complete (or if the heroes flee), the OL discards all his threat and power cards.

5. Yes, a hero can return to Tamalir through the starting glyph. However, he can never return to a previous level through a glyph.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One big tip, if you don't have it, go get the FAQ right now. It's on the FFG Descent support page: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eselred wrote:
5. The heroes can return from town through any glyph that is currently active for one movement point. Although I don't believe it's ever mentioned explicitly in the rules, they probably cannot return to the first level since you generally clean it up off of the table in order to set up the second level.

It actually doesn't take any movement points to go from the dungeon to the town. As long as the hero started his turn either on or next to a glyph, he can instantly be ported to town. In fact, if he spends a movement point, he cannot be ported to town.

In town, it does however take 1MP to move back into the dungeon. Yes I know, a little confusing, but that's how it works. If you decide to spend MPs in town, you cannot restock, and I believe the only MPs that can be spent in town are for moving back to a dungeon, so technically it's not legal to drink a potion in town (maybe it's an underage thing).

As for healing in town, restocking at a Temple restores a number of wounds equal to the Temple rating of that town. Tamalir (the only town you can restock at) starts with a rating of 5 (but can be upgraded to 7), so if you go to the temple, you heal 5 wounds (or remove 5 poison, which was correct). I'm not sure where you came up with the half-of-heroes-health bit...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The relevant entry from the FAQ is:

Quote:
Q: Can a hero traveling to town via a glyph take any action before Restocking, such as attacking? Does returning from town still cost 1 MP? What other limits are placed on heroes in town and using glyphs?
A: A hero who begins his turn adjacent to or on top of an activated glyph has two options: take a normal turn or go to town. If he goes to town, he is immediately moved to the building of his choice and gets to Restock there. No movement points, no declared action - he just Restocks.

A hero who begins his turn in town has two options: Restock again (at the same or a different building) or return to the dungeon. If he returns to the dungeon, he declares a normal action (Battle, Ready, Advance, Run) and then must spend a movement point to move from town to the dungeon, just like normal. If he somehow can't do so (i.e. he Battled and had no fatigue left) then the entire action is canceled and the hero Restocks instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Wilson
msg tools
Thank you very much for the help. One more thing, I'm a bit confused about breath and re-rolling. Today I was able to target three heroes with breath and then I rolled. But one of the heroes had a re-roll ability to force me to re-roll some of the dice. So does the original damage apply to two heroes and the re-rolled for the third, or does the re-rolled attack apply to all heroes in the breath radius?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McMurray
msg tools
The re-roll applies to all of them. The same happens if one of the monsters dodges a hero's blast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.