Jonathan "Gorno" Fashena
United States
Westchester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Samsung CLP-315W Color Laser Printer -- High-Speed USB 2.0, Ethernet, wireless 802.11 b/g.

Regular Price is 250$ - 125$ Rebate card - 50$ for "recycling" "any" old printer (+ 10$ for the extra tax most of us pay on the 250$ register price). You can even buy online (free shipping!) and bring your receipt and old printer into a store for the "recycling" rebate.

I have and like the wired version of this printer, plus it may be the smallest, lightest color laser printer I've seen. The paper feed tray is kind of a pain, and it makes the lights flicker on that circuit, but those are my only complaints.

Offer:
http://www.staples.com/Samsung-CLP-315W-Color-Laser-Printer/...:SC3:CG44P1606:CL142044

Printer Recycling:
http://www.staples.com/sbd/cre/products/090315/merch023626/i...

Gorno
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooo! That's very enticing. I know I'm going to buy a color laser sometime, and this deal might do it for me.

The CNET review isn't stellar, they say the print quality is "unacceptable", but this could be relative to other $200 printers.

http://reviews.cnet.com/laser-printers/samsung-clp-315w/4505...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Gorno" Fashena
United States
Westchester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, I should have addressed the limited quality of color images on the CLP-310 series, which I just take for granted! It's nowhere near a photo printer -- color images print out grainy and cross-hatched, like newspaper photos. Not awful-looking (to my eye), but nowhere near photo quality. And they say it's relatively slow, so perhaps I should describe it as a light-duty document printer. Still, it's very light and compact plus this trade-in deal is cheaper than any B&W laser price I've seen, so it's a great bargain for the price if one doesn't need more than it offers.

Gorno

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I sell printers and copiers for a living. The long term cost of a printer of any price is the cost of consumables. Most people can read that a toner cartridge costs $43 and yields 1000 prints. That is based on 5% coverage. Five percent coverage is roughly equal to a header and 2 five line paragraphs. The average B&W text business document is 12% coverage. So realistically, unless you are just printing out your emails, you'll get 400 to 500 prints. It gets trickier when you print color.

Anyway I have a spread sheet that calculates the cost per page of any printer at any coverage and I've run the numbers on this printer.

On this Samsung printer color printing at 5% coverage per color or 20% total cost = $.164 per page. A full cover page like a photograph will cost between $.90 and $1.05.

Whether is a deal or not depends on what you want to print and how many of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If this printer is "wireless only" I'd be cautious. I bought the family a wireless printer and it's been a PITA! You get spoiled to what a computer does when it's acting as your 'print server'.

(I bought an HP network printer. It prints just fine, but the 'network printer' aspect of it is what's frustrating.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Gorno" Fashena
United States
Westchester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It can be connected via USB, Ethernet network cable, or the wireless 802.11 b/g... I too have found wireless peripherals a pain to set up (the CNET review has a necessary tip for setting up this printer), and not having any other means of set-up would be a huge pain; as you say, one takes the services of a computer as super-print server for granted... I bought a wireless print server to use my regular CLP-315 wirelessly, and I often have to reboot the server (even the router!) to get it recognized.

Gorno

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Gorno" Fashena
United States
Westchester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
Whether is a deal or not depends on what you want to print and how many of them.
Verily. I don't print very much or often and I was sick of my inkjet drying out -- I wanted "surge capacity" plus laser-sharp text with a color option, so the appeal of these Samsungs is the low entry cost, light weight, and small footprint. I just wish this deal had been available last year!

Gorno

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Gorno" Fashena
United States
Westchester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johngorno wrote:
color images print out grainy and cross-hatched, like newspaper photos. Not awful-looking (to my eye), but nowhere near photo quality.
That was on plain paper... I had forgotten that (coincidentally) I used glossy paper to make my cards for Jeremiah's ZIMP (actually, photo paper which I later saw is specifically forbidden for the CLP-315 (and, presumably, all laser printers)... glossy brochure paper is fine though), and the illustrations look pretty good -- some pixelation and dithering, but not bad at all.

Gorno

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to see some detailed images of the output, if you could post some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Gorno" Fashena
United States
Westchester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeremiah_Lee wrote:
I'd love to see some detailed images of the output, if you could post some.
Capital Idea! Since your Zombie in my Pocket files are here on BGG, they provide a ready means of comparison!

Scanning didn't do the print-outs justice, so here are photos (click for larger views):

ZIMP tiles (full and half scale):

Greyscale Text and a color photo:

(FYI, the 315 paper tray isn't designed for anything shorter than 6.5", so to print on 3x5" index cards, I had to add a little card-stop to the tray (which doesn't interfere with regular sizes), plus define a 3x6.5 paper size and remember that the paper page isn't as long as the screen page. I'm used to compromises!

Gorno
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot, that makes it so much easier to decide. (although I still haven't decided)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Gorno" Fashena
United States
Westchester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another sample comparison: this 2" wide biplane is printed on index card (click for larger views)

from this BGG image (click for larger views)

I notice that the colors aren't quite the same -- you can tweak the printing options to adjust colors (their photo-friendly mode doesn't do much on plain paper).

Gorno
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawkeye
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
Anyway I have a spread sheet that calculates the cost per page of any printer at any coverage and I've run the numbers on this printer.

Is there a good quality inexpensive home color laser you can recommend? I realize you must deal more with office stuff.

I was excited about this at first about the Samsung,but was progressively less so when I pulled up the reviews online. Will give this a pass, I think, but thanks to Gorno for the heads up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually that printer is FREE if you pricematch and send in the rebate.

I've done that kind of double-dip deal before, even though the naysayers claim it doesn't often work:

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1866799
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.