Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, just found this game and it looks great.
After reading the rules, something is unclear to me.

1 - Do you perform an enemy check EVERY TURN? Or only when you first enter an unexplored node? For example, let's say I move to a previously explored node with a 5+/A. Assuming I move to the node safely (draw a 1+ when I move), do I still check to see if an A group attacks me?

2 - Similarly, where are you located while you are in the process of breaking into a new node. Let's say that I'm in mission 1, on the first space after start (1/A). I am trying to move to the Security 3 node (1-2/A). My security guy only receives 1 success, so I mark the node with 1 success marker. Do I now:

A - Roll for the Advance node I'm standing on, fighting an A with a 1?
B - Roll for the Security note I am trying to break into, fighting an A on a 1 or 2?
C - Don't check for an enemy, but still waste one of my 30 turns (placing me closer to failing the missions)?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gottardo Zancani
Italy
Milano
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

the basic turn follows the sequence:

- Advance Turn
- Actions sub phase
- Events sub phase
- End Turn

You normally check for an encounter every turn in the events subphase, regardless of the number of success levels accumulated so far. The major exception occurs when you move to an explored node: in this case you pick a random # and only on a result of 0 you face a class A encounter; in any other case moving to an explored node will cancel the standard encounter check.

Zak
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that makes the game much deadlier! I think the person playing the 3 session reports elsewhere on the site might not have been checking for an encounter while accumulating successes.

One more question. Do you make the encounter check for the node you are trying to move TO (if you are still building up successes), or the node that you are moving FROM (until you reach the necessary success count)?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonnie H
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael,

Great questions. I had assumed that you test on the place you are going to, but it will be interesting to see what Zak says.

Thanks again Zak.

Lonster

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Haas
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameMasterX0 wrote:

One more question. Do you make the encounter check for the node you are trying to move TO (if you are still building up successes), or the node that you are moving FROM (until you reach the necessary success count)?

I'm wondering about this, too. I played my first game yesterday and decided to test for the node I'm acually located (not the one I want to move to), because I'm not allowed to move to the new node as long as I have not accumulated enough success levels. I'm curious what zak will say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
United Kingdom
Driffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Micheal for the first couple of games I was not making enemy checks each turn. I am now and it makes more sense as the missions progress. Each event can only happen once so once it has happened it won't again - so you don't necessarily get many more contacts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks David. I've played through 3 missions, only died in the third one, so I think the difficulty balance is still there. Although those cybers are damn hard (especially when I always seem to roll for their armor!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gottardo Zancani
Italy
Milano
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GameMasterX0 wrote:
Wow, that makes the game much deadlier! I think the person playing the 3 session reports elsewhere on the site might not have been checking for an encounter while accumulating successes.

Thanks!

The Encounter Check always refers to the node where your team is currently located: the check represents the danger of the current location, not what you will face after reaching the node. It's what happens while you try to open a door, not what is waiting for you behind the door.

This section of the rules is not clear enough - sorry for the ambiguity: i will rewrite the rules to tack in consideration the many notes accumulated.

Hope it helps

Zak
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not think you check for an encounter on the same node more than once ( except when you pull a zero when entering a previously explored node )... i.e. once you are in a node, no more enemies will appear.. as the rules say :-

"Events are unique, i.e. they can occur only once
during the game: if your team is located on a node
where the event is already occurred you don’t have
to make any additional check (simply skip this phase)."

cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Haas
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zak965 wrote:
GameMasterX0 wrote:

Thanks!

The Encounter Check always refers to the node where your team is currently located: the check represents the danger of the current location, not what you will face after reaching the node. It's what happens while you try to open a door, not what is waiting for you behind the door.

This section of the rules is not clear enough - sorry for the ambiguity: i will rewrite the rules to tack in consideration the many notes accumulated.

Hope it helps

Zak

Thanks for the answer, Zak!

Just for clarification:

if I do not move because I have not accumulated enough Success Levels to move to the new node, do I have to check for an encounter as like I have moved to an already explored node? Or is there no check at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Harris
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Goodaye,

I think that the rules have missed a word. I think the rule should probably read...

Special Events are unique...

Rather than...

Events are unique.

I've read Zak's reply above as indicating you roll for an encounter every turn you are on a node. I could be wrong. Perhaps he could step in and clarify.

Cheers,
Plugger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's clear now, although I could still be wrong.

What I get now is that:

A - you don't roll for an encounter or event on the turn you move to a previously explored node. (not counting the possible "0" A encounter)

B - If you are spending multiple turns trying to reach a new node, you roll for an encounter every turn on the OLD node, until you reach the new one.

Let me know if I got that wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Urdinaran
United States
Hammonton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zak965 wrote:
Hi

the basic turn follows the sequence:

- Advance Turn
- Actions sub phase
- Events sub phase
- End Turn

You normally check for an encounter every turn in the events subphase, regardless of the number of success levels accumulated so far. The major exception occurs when you move to an explored node: in this case you pick a random # and only on a result of 0 you face a class A encounter; in any other case moving to an explored node will cancel the standard encounter check.

Zak

So, let's say my unit is sitting on the 2nd node of Mission #002 (Pilot 3) and is attempting Node Resolution of the node to the right (Pilot 3). Let's assume that I keep rolling poorly on my rolls (all 1's);

1. Does this mean that I have to check for a Sandworm each turn on a 3+?
2. Let's say I fight 1 Sandworm and defeat it; do I have to continue checking for Sandworms each turn as long as my unit sits on that node?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gottardo Zancani
Italy
Milano
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
> 1. Does this mean that I have to check for a Sandworm each turn on a 3+?

Yes, but see below

> 2. Let's say I fight 1 Sandworm and defeat it; do I have to continue checking for Sandworms each turn as long as my unit sits on that node?

No. Once an event occurs on a node (the Sandworm encounter in this case) you don't chek for events any more while you stay in this node. You will spend turns while trying to resolve the next node.

I've reworked the rules and i will post them in the next days: i hope that the new version should reduce the problems caused by the ambiguous layout of the rules.

Zak
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Urdinaran
United States
Hammonton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, thanks for the response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.