Tim Fiester
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I pre-ordered the ATZ boardgame because of the theme, but in the time while waiting for its release I have come across other zombie games. For example, LNOE seems to get lots of rave reviews (and usually is on the Hot List on the lefthand side).

Does anyone have any idea how the ATZ rules compare to LNOE?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game has a much simpler rule set than ATZ and while the themes are basically the same, the game mechanics are varied enough that ATZ would stand apart from LNOE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Collins
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hot list does not necessarily list good games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
willco wrote:

You mean Throneworld isn't the best game evar? I am scandalized.

Really, to my eye it doesn't seem like ATZ and LNoE have much in common other than theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
United States
San Ramon
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
You can have a look at the manual for All Things Zombie here:

http://www.locknloadgame.com/sneakmanuals/ATZ-Manual.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
Canada
Kinda SW of Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The big thing that stands out for me in ATZ is that it looks like ALL players are playing against the zombie threat while in LNOE one or two players control the zombies.

This idea alone, for me at least, fits a bit better with the idea of the mindless, ravenous hunger that the zombies possess. Having zombie movement based on game mechanics rather than having a player control them (which implies an enemy that is using an equal amount of strategy) seems promising and I can't wait to see how it plays out.

ATZ sounds a bit more like players against the game... and maybe each other as they struggle for survival against a common threat.

(LNOE is a great game btw, one of my favourites!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gyges wrote:
Really, to my eye it doesn't seem like ATZ and LNoE have much in common other than theme.

Correct.

To me ATZ the boardgame has a significant skirmish, tactical wargame influence, while LNOE is more on the miniatures boardgame side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Walkley
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For me, the difference is that Last Night On Earth feels more like a cheesy, fun zombie b-movie, whereas ATZ is more like a hardcore zombie movie.

I love LNoE and am sure I'll love ATZ too, but in my opinion they reflect two different approaches to the zombie genre. Which means there will be a zombie game to play whatever my mood!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McCormley
United States
SD
California
flag msg tools
OUCH!
mbmbmbmbmb
thalion22 wrote:

Does anyone have any idea how the ATZ rules compare to LNOE?

Of course, it's hard to be definitive, but here's my guesses: (based on playing the miniatures version and having read over the rulebook for the boardgame.)

In ATZ, not all of the "good guys" are alike. You can explicitly control the "Star" survivors, for the most part, anyway, but the "Grunt" survivors will have chaotic behavior patterns. The game uses an "action/reaction" system along with traditional hex movement to represent both types of characters. Also, not all survivors will be on your side.

The amount of zombies you will encounter will be directly related to how much noise you make. E.g. Shooting one zombie will attract other zombies. In the miniatures game, there is an unlimited supply of zombies. I suspect the same is true in this game. I think you can also expect zombies to literally pop up out of nowhere...just like they might in real life. The survivors will not have perfect information about where the real threats are.

Weapons are likely to be plentiful, if varied.

I think you can expect this game to present much more intricate tactical combat, far more zombie head explosions, plenty of combat between between human survivors, and surprises galore. Cinematically, where LNOE represents "Night of the Living Dead," I would say ATZ is more like a cross between "The Road Warrior" and "Dawn of the Dead."

Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Teixeira
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Quote:
....I would say ATZ is more like a cross between "The Road Warrior" and "Dawn of the Dead."

Very good assessment. Never looked at LNoE so cannot compare.

ATZ as it is can give you lots of replayability as no two games will play the same. Even when playing the scenarios. The really nice thing about it is you can take the scenarios from ATZ the minis games and use them in the board game.
Many are free and you would just have to tweak the map you play on. Here's an example...The Nazi Zombies Went Down to Georgia".

http://www.angelfire.com/az3/twohourwargames/ATZ2/NaziZombie...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
az_sunsets73 wrote:
ATZ as it is can give you lots of replayability as no two games will play the same. Even when playing the scenarios. The really nice thing about it is you can take the scenarios from ATZ the minis games and use them in the board game.
Many are free and you would just have to tweak the map you play on. Here's an example...The Nazi Zombies Went Down to Georgia".

http://www.angelfire.com/az3/twohourwargames/ATZ2/NaziZombie...

Only if one actually gets their copy of All Things Zombie: The Boardgame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
armor_11 wrote:

I think you can also expect zombies to literally pop up out of nowhere...just like they might in real life.

I'd have to agree. That's one of the more annoying traits of zombies I've come across during my travels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Teixeira
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Quote:

I'd have to agree. That's one of the more annoying traits of zombies I've come across during my travels.

Been to Nebraska eh? It's a joke! It's a joke! Don't want to alienate the Nebraskans.

That reminds me that on the THW Yahoo Group one of the posters said that "How zombies are generated in ATZ wasn't realistic."

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/twohourwargames/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
az_sunsets73 wrote:

That reminds me that on the THW Yahoo Group one of the posters said that "How zombies are generated in ATZ wasn't realistic."

Not realistic?

That's one of the most important parts in Zombie fiction.
They always pop up were you won't expect them.
If it's realistic or not; where would be the thrill?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
Canada
Kinda SW of Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
konsum24 wrote:
az_sunsets73 wrote:

Not realistic?

That's one of the most important parts in Zombie fiction.
They always pop up were you won't expect them.
If it's realistic or not; where would be the thrill?

All goes back to suspension of belief (which is what we're doing anyway since we are delving into the lore of the living dead) and use of a bit of imagination.

"Fire off a shot. It's heard echoing across the land, summoning the nearby living dead. While our hero is focused on the now, non-moving corpse laying in front of him, he is surprised by a moan from behind. Reeling around he spots several dead lumbering towards him, his gun doubling as a dinner bell..."

See not that hard at all. They came out of no where.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiester
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, everyone. Looks like what was originally an either/or decision has changed to "and." I think I will keep my pre-order of ATZ open (can't wait, really) and get LNOE with some store credit from an upcoming games auction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiester
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
willco wrote:

True.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah... I see what you did there.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you read the book "The Walking Dead" http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Dead-Days-Gone-Bye/dp/15824035... this is EXACTLY what is being simulated.

When they start making noise or shooting, that's when the dead start showing up.

Personally, I'm not worried about the zombie that you see. I worry about the wounded guy who hid himself in a closet and died...

Or the legless zombie waiting patiently in the tall grass for your achilles tendon to go past. BRRRR...

Can't wait for the 22nd...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Lohse
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are we talking fast zombies or slow zombies? And are there British characters armed with cricket bats who are allowed to hide in a pub?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McCormley
United States
SD
California
flag msg tools
OUCH!
mbmbmbmbmb
aluredpopple wrote:
Are we talking fast zombies or slow zombies? And are there British characters armed with cricket bats who are allowed to hide in a pub?

Walking speed zombies. But the activation sequence allows them to move before survivors sometimes...and that's the REAL problem.

Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Epperson
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cdwalkley wrote:
For me, the difference is that Last Night On Earth feels more like a cheesy, fun zombie b-movie, whereas ATZ is more like a hardcore zombie movie.

I love LNoE and am sure I'll love ATZ too, but in my opinion they reflect two different approaches to the zombie genre. Which means there will be a zombie game to play whatever my mood!

Your on target....LNOE is more like a B-Movie than ATZ. LNOE plays out like a movie while you play out the game. Lots of fun. More fun if you play the game in the dark....

ATZ is more like what would happen if you popped into a town full of zombies. It didn't feel like a movie like LNOE did. Rather, a fast paced, easy to understand tactical and hand-to-hand combat with zombies. After play, you could write a script for a B-Movie. Not like LNOE where you play out a B-Movie.

The mechanics in ATZ is easier to pickup than LNOE. Especially the melee phase of the game. Here, you both roll a die (zombies # die = to # of zombies in the hex with the hero). If the zombies hits out number the hero's hit roll, he/she receives a wound. Melee could continue next turn.

If you play a campaign in ATZ, you could see a motion picture play out for you. LNOE doesn't do this for you. Both are excellent games with totally different mechanics.

Lots of fun for all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Teixeira
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Thanks for the information. I've never seen or played LNoE so couldn't compare them. Nice to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave O
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks everyone for the comparisons between ATZ and LNOE. This is exactly what I was looking for to help me decide if I should add ATZ to my collection, even though I already own LNOE. I can't wait to get my copy now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.