Alexander Einich
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a long time ago, we finished our RtL campaign. It was Nanok with Cautious, Tahlia with Weapon Mastery, Mad Carthos with Prodigy and me (Ispher) with Skilled against the Beastman Lord with Obsidian Shackles. The heroes won.

We heroes exchanged quite a lot of emails discussing strategy between our sessions. Later, I started taking pictures and writing stories about what happened during the game.

Shortly after the end of our campaign in January, our OL celebrated his 40th birthday, so we gifted him with a 555-page book containing all our emails, the pictures and the stories of the campaign. He was delighted.

I have uploaded some pictures of the book, mostly pages that contain pictures. They are in the "Recent" or "creative" section. Sorry, the text is in French!

Images of the book are here.

The campaign itself was a lot of fun. At the start, we thought we had no chance, because Alric teleported straight on Tamalir and his armor 5 and regeneration 5 seemed invincible to us. On top of that, we suffered a heavy setback in the Caverns of Thuul, where the OL built a 50-point lead in Conquest. But as Alric was putting his 7th siege token on Tamalir (we had upgraded the walls as high as possible while he was sieging), we fought him and killed him (the OL seems to have been either too confident in his strength, or trying too hard to win right then)!

From then on, things went upwards. We suffered another setback when Olmric was killed just as I was about to learn Rapid Fire, but this was later compensated in the Fool's Rapids. From a runner almost useless in combat at the beginning of the campaign, I became a 10-attacks-a-turn sharpshooter (8 fatigue, Knight, Rapid Fire and a fatigue potion do that for you), earning the nickname Ispherix (from the potion-guzzling Asterix in the "Asterix & Obelix" cartoon series). The other heroes had their own superpowers: Tahlia, having taken most speed-enhancing skills and objects, was able to move 9 squares a turn during her turn and 6 during the OL's turn while still being able to attack twice (Leadership); Nanok had an 11-point armor (12 when activating Unmovable) in melee thanks to 5 melee dice, Parry and an item. Mad Carthos had upgraded in health every time he could, even taking the skill Tough, and had tripled his starting health to reach 24 little hearts.

In order to give the OL a chance, Rapid Fire was house-ruled to allow only one additional attack per "normal" attack, limiting my attacks to 6, fatigue potions were house-ruled to give only 3 fatigue back, and the OL was allowed to spend surges for additional damage (2 for 1).

Still, it wasn't enough for the Beastman Lord, and when the heroes finally met him, he (or they, as through an evil dark magic, he had cloned himself twice) went down crashing.

The campaign lasted one and a half years. We all enjoyed it very much, and now we are eager to start Sea of Blood sometime in the next couple of months. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
heh, nice book. Curious, how much did it cost? And why is it so thick?

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Augusto Moreira
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Gift, great game and great group

Congratulations for your OL and all players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Einich
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
heh, nice book. Curious, how much did it cost? And why is it so thick?

-shnar

It is so thick because we are geeks.

We often spent 3 or 4 weeks between sessions away from Terrinoth, so we emailed a lot about strategy, or sometimes just for the fun of discussing the game. A discussion about whether to defend the cities south of Tamalir, the ones close to the Beastman Lord's keep (notably Riverwatch), brought close to 80 pages of emails for instance! We wrote small stories about single events, such as "Sleeping Beauty Nanok" telling of the two consecutive ambush encounters Nanok slept through; "Ispher's Treason" telling of how I took a skill from under Tahlia's nose that she wanted too (namely Knight); "Waiting for Godot Nanok" telling of how all the heroes become old toothless farts while waiting for Nanok (we once had to wait more than 6 weeks for the Nanok player to make himself available to play); or "Olmric's Palantir" telling about how Olmric was a Saruman-like agent of the Overlord trying to lure the heroes away from Riverwatch with fancy upgrades (I was of the opinion that we should defend Riverwatch at any cost; fortunately I was outvoted and we went to Olmric. Unfortunately I chose to upgrade my fatigue before taking Rapid Fire, and just as we were about to come back, Olmric was killed!). Once we played at Tahlia's place, and our OL forgot some monsters... She made it look like a hostage taking, sending him a picture of his painted figures and menacing him to destroy them if he didn't give us Olmric back! We had a lot of fun. Then there were the pictures and the session reports... All added up, it filled 555 pages.

The book (with a golden engraved title on the front and on the side) cost about $140, but I did the printing of the pages myself, so you'd have to add color printing costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.