Subject: Don't buy mechs EVER rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Miljenko Murkovic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mech is absolutely useless unit. I also think its value should be 4 production points instead of 5. Becouse instead of playing 5 for mech, you can buy tank and a fighter. This way you get +1 supremacy and you roll 2 dices (same as for mech), BUT you get 2 units, so when your opponent gets a hit on his dice roll, you lose instead of mech just fighter, and you still get to keep a tank. Mech is good only for surprise attacks when you play mech dropper card. Mech dropper card are rare, and you'll get to play this card 0-2 times in average game. That why i think mech are just not worth buying EVER.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Its a fair point - but also remember that you can shield your mechs with the cheap tanks.

You will have nothing to shield your fighters with and so will be loosing plenty of them.

Finally, it is true you don't get many mech-drop cards, but they can be devastating when you do use them...

[good to see someone playing & thinking about this cool game though!]

[oh, and good to see someone with a Ramones badge!]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
I make sure to shield them with tanks, and as mentioned above, you get enough mechs and then get a drop card? It can completely turn the battle. I need to play this some more, its a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miljenko Murkovic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are all correct when you say that you shield your initiative advantage with tanks. In my experience with Dust, since you are very limited in production points, and your army is usually small, getting fighter (for tactical supremacy and a tank) is a way to go, mech is just not cost effective (you need few tanks to defend them, and you need to put them ALL on same territory). I agree with you, I shouldn't say NEVER buy mechs. There are times when its a good to buy mech. For example if you hold mech card(s) from the start of the game and plan some kind of surprise attack on enemy capital.

Since in dust you get very few attacks par turn, my strategy is to be sure that every attack is successful. And my attacks are usually over in one dice trow. I buy fighters to get enough tactical supremacy to go first, and have more tanks than 3 times defending units.

Also buying cheap fighters instead of mechs, you get more tactical supremacy for less PP. And this makes fighters ideal for defending factory's.

When buying fighters and tanks instead of mechs, its a good idea to buy 2-3 bombers. This way you have a lot of fighters to protect bombers, and you can jump all over the map with bombers helping to fight, and killing subs.

This "strategy" worked for me in my game group. Since I play Dust with closed group of people, i can't guaranty that "strategy" will work in your games.

I'm interested in how many mechs you buy in average game?? And how many tenks you usually buy to protect your mechs??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miljenko Murkovic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Example to backup my point:

Player 1 buys 2 mechs and 5 tanks ( 20 PP)

Player 2 buys 3 fighters and 6 tanks (21 PP )

-----------------------------------------------------

Player 2 attacks Player 1

Average battle goes like this (1/3 to get a hit on a dice):

Player 2 throws 9 dices and kills 3 tanks.

Player 1 throws 6 dices and kills 2 fighters

Player 2 throws 7 dices and kills 2 tanks

Player 1 throws 4 dices and kills 1 fighter

Player 2 throws 6 dices and kills 2 mechs

Fight is over and Player 2 still has 6 tanks left for 1 more PP spend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Feil
Canada
hanna
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I generally only put mechs in my capital. Occasionally when I have majorities or will look like I'm becoming a threat soon I put them there as a solid reserve unit, bluff/threat for a mech drop, or just a good defense. They're cheap for two dice and w/ the automatic defense granted by the capital it tends to keep away the other players. Also a good unit to hold a captured capital.

And yes, I do have some tanks to shield them when it won't create the image that I'm preping an attack..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miljenko Murkovic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gatha wrote:
I generally only put mechs in my capital.

I think tanks are much better for defending capital. They are cheap "meat". When defending capital you automatically go firs, so you don't need mechs (or other expansive units) for tactical supremacy, all you need is to stay alive as long as possible to get a lot of (+5) dice throws.

For example instead of paying 10 PP for 2 mechs, you can buy 5 tenks, so now attacker needs to kill 5 units instead of just 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WARNER AIREY
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct of course, in terms of price. Buying mechs by choice is not particularly cost effective. However, I am often FORCED to buy Mechs!

When I simply have to make an attack, and the only way to get there is by Mech drop.

This is why I love Dust. There is no one single method of optimising or 'working out' the system. There is no one perfect strategy or tactic.

Similarly, I find myself forced to buy bombers. And you reckon Mechs are too expensive! Bombers are horrific in terms of cost. Yet Bombers can do the job when nothing else can. Such as landing in an empty space that an opponent left on purpose to hinder land movement.

Depending on the circumstances, the correct advice will be 'NEVER by mechs'. Other games the motto will become, 'ALWAYS buy mechs'.

I've played about 20 games so far. And some of the after game thoughts have included: Shouldn't have bought mechs; should have bought heaps of mechs, shouldn't have wasted all that production on subs, should have built maximum Subs, those bombers lost me the game, those bombers won me the game... you get the idea.

Twenty games, and twenty completely different results and type of game. This is the hallmark of an excellent game system: every game is different. I still haven't seen a hint of the 'perfect' system to win, but keep adding to an ever expanding list of things I have to keep in mind to avoid definitely losing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Inguanzo
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest advantage that mechs have over fighters is that they are harder to kill. Fighters are a "front line" unit, so they are the first to die and need to be replaced after every fight. Mechs are a "back row" unit. Give them enough tanks to sacrifice, and they're practically immortal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.