United States
South Central
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Light in the Darkness
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone!

For some reason *cough* OCD *cough*, I've been recording all the games I can remember playing before joining BGG. I didn't find anything in FAQs or forum searches on this, so I hope this may help someone else and/or elicit feedback to improve it!

I decided to record these as Games Played, but enter approximate # of games played with dummy dates and locations based on the estimated time period I played them:
Date ............ Location
• 8/8/88: ...... Games Played Before Junior High
• 9/9/99: ...... Games Played in Jr. High - College
• 08/08/08: ... Games Played Post-College - Before Joining BGG

(I joined in 2009 and always log games played since joining BGG).

It seems to be working pretty well and has some benefits over my previous system of checking "Previously Owned":
• Games I never owned won't appear in my collection.
• Does not assume I've played every game I've owned.
• Can enter approximate number of times I played a game, including those I owned.
• Dummy Dates are easy to remember and are somewhat obvious placeholder dates.
• Dummy Locations further identify the period and are in alphabetical order, which makes selecting them easier.
• Browsing Games Played will show at a glance all games I remember ever playing and do so in the correct order.

I've encountered a few issues, however:
• The use of dummy dates & approximate plays may give false data for site's reports, others' analyses, etc.
• Games recorded on 8/8/88 appear when I view games from 9/9/99 (but not the other way around) and I'm not sure how to prevent this.
• I was considering dummy dates that had no correspondence with my personal timeline just to clearly mark them as false (ex. 01/01/1901), but the system only goes back so far (I forget the date when it starts to get wonky... maybe it's why 1988 plays are showing up with 1999?).

Since there doesn't seem to be any official way to tag the games you played (i.e. there is no "Played" checkbox; you have to record it as an actual game playing session), does this seem like a good ad-hoc system? Did I miss something that already exists? Any recommendations?

Peace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nothing says "I love you" like a new dice bag
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I applaud you trying to give dates that are as old as possible, to minimize people's analysis and stats. When people come in and say they've played 1,000 games of Poker this month (or whatever game), trying to account for a lifetime, that throws the monthly numbers off. The "Most Played" geeklist author gave up trying to give the top games by plays for this reason, and now looks at just the unique users. If you just want to show that a game was played, I would consider just putting one play on a far back date, and noting "Approx. 300 plays during college, 1991-1994" in the comments field. But, it's up to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad R Morin
United States
South Central
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Light in the Darkness
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
I applaud you trying to give dates that are as old as possible, to minimize people's analysis and stats.
Thanks! Being so uptight with data makes me not want to mess with other peoples' use of it (and makes me good at my job).

indigopotter wrote:
If you just want to show that a game was played, I would consider just putting one play on a far back date, and noting "Approx. 300 plays during college, 1991-1994" in the comments field.
Hmm... I like it! I tested out something based on your suggestion, and it appears you can even record a zero value in the "number of plays" field (I tried to enter a zero value in the date field and failed, so I never thought to try this).

The game's play will still appear when you search/display games played, but it won't count it towards any tally. This has the definite advantage of not adding false plays, but, on the downside, it does pull it into the opposite direction (ex. I know that I played Lunch Money at least a dozen times before BGG, but it won't appear in Five & Dimes or anywhere else if I record it as a zero). The other issue would be that, if I record plays as "zero", it won't appear in my collection's "Your Plays" column.

Still, I think that, if I record the plays as zero, put the estimated number of plays in the games' "Private Info" comments (rather than the play comments), it will display the info in my collection without messing with others' data. (I think I'll keep the separate back dates since it sorts the chronological order nicely without messing with too many people, especially if I reduce the play count to zero.)

How does this sound? I'll look into it more later, but for now, it's Valentine's Day and I really should be going. whistle

Thanks again for the advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
My brother in law still has no BGG id. He still logs his games however, by writing the game date and winner in the box lid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
_Kael_ wrote:
My brother in law still has no BGG id. He still logs his games however, by writing the game date and winner in the box lid.
AAHHAHAHAHHAHHHHHahhahahahhahha soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
spearjr wrote:
_Kael_ wrote:

NONONONONONONO please say you are kidding!!!!robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Narl wrote:
spearjr wrote:
_Kael_ wrote:

I'm ridiculous about keeping my games in good condition, and even I don't have high objection to this, provided it is lightly written in pencil, inside the box lid (on the wide blank expanse of cardboard that is invariably there. A future owner could erase it, but the present owner is still kept with valuable information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
skelebone wrote:
Narl wrote:
spearjr wrote:
_Kael_ wrote:
I'm ridiculous about keeping my games in good condition, and even I don't have high objection to this, provided it is lightly written in pencil, inside the box lid (on the wide blank expanse of cardboard that is invariably there. A future owner could erase it, but the present owner is still kept with valuable information.
Indeed.

I think writing winners in the game box lid is a great idea. Maybe 'll start doing because
a. there will be no future owner. I'll probably be buried with my games. Or, if that would take a too big grave, they will go to my children.
b. each box lid becomes a trophy panel. Some lids feature long lists of the same name (his wife's) with an occassional other one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
I really want to do this. I remember hearing about someone framing a game box lid that captured there plays with their (hence forth) deceased father.

Even if it was Monopoly it would be cool to capture that nostalgia in hand writing dating back to the 60's (for for my kids to the 10's)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
_Kael_ wrote:
skelebone wrote:
Narl wrote:
spearjr wrote:
_Kael_ wrote:
Indeed.

I think writing winners in the game box lid is a great idea. Maybe 'll start doing because
a. there will be no future owner. I'll probably be buried with my games. Or, if that would take a too big grave, they will go to my children.
b. each box lid becomes a trophy panel. Some lids feature long lists of the same name (his wife's) with an occassional other one.

Even if there is a future owner, it adds flavor and history to the game. I think it would be neat to open a game and see the enjoyment someone had out of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.