Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was an ACTS/Cyberboard game between myself and Antero Kuusi. Antero was playing the Allies. This was the 32nd full game of Pursuit of Glory campaign scenario with another player that I have finished.

Persia Stays Neutral

Fall 1914

Antero opened with Russo-British Assault, taking Fao, Bayazit and Eleskirt but being delayed by Mosquitoes at Basra. Jihad brought out Bawi, Kurds and Jangali. The Russians attacked Koprukoy, destroying IX Corps which reappeared in Bayburt thanks to Reserves to the Front. The Turks attacked Oltu, capturing Yudenich, and Kitchener took charge of supplying the Russians.

CP RPs (Indian Mutiny) preceded Churchill, but only the Kum Kale fort fell. I redeployed troops to Beersheba and the Camel Corps to Sulemaniye. The Indians redeployed to Abadan and Port Said. My troops moved up to the Suez Canal and the Allies attacked Basra and Ahwaz, taking both. I ended the turn with Liberate Suez, organizing III Corps in Damascus, but failed to cross the Canal.

Winter 1915

Meso-Persia and RU MOs.

Blockade and German Military Mission led to Anzac Reinforcements in Egypt and RPs for both sides (Parliamentary Inquiry, Project Alexandria). I played Pan-Turkism, organizing IV Corps in Erzincan. II Turkistani Corps formed in Batum and the Indians were defeated at Amara. I redeployed troops to Amara, Nasirya and Trabzon and Russian Reinforcements arrived. I moved troop towards the Russians and an Egyptian Coup occurred, followed by an attack on Ardahan and Save Tiflis, though Severe Weather ensured a Russian victory.

Spring 1915

No BR and TU MOs TU Max RPs on 25.

The Allies attacked and took Romani. Gorlice Tarnow sent II Turkistani Corps to Europe. Indian and Turkish Reinforcements followed, with 6 Turkish divisions appearing in Harput and Kayseri. Murray took Command and a Mission set off for Afghanistan. Russian Reinforcements preceded my play for RPs (Persian Push) and Allied attacks on Jifjaffa and Oltu, capturing Jifjaffa. I attacked Ardahan and lost again. The Russians gathered in Eleskirt and Ardahan. I attacked Eleskirt and Ardahan, successfully outflanking the Russians at the former, but defeated again at the latter.

Summer 1915

MOs were British Empire and Meso-Persia. Max TU RPs 23

The Allies attacked Koprukoy and Parvus set off for Berlin. The Indians attacked Amara with Pugnacity and Tenacity, capturing the space. Fresh Recruits boosted the Turks in Sannaiyat and the Sinai. In a display of Allied Solidarity the Greek republicans seized Salonika, prompting Bulgaria to enter the war. The Allies entrenched in Belgrade and attacked Sannaiyat, sending the Turks fleeing into Azizya and allowing the Indians to capture Kut.

I scrambled to defend Mespotamia, moving the nearest LCU (XI Corps) from Van southwards and pulling out of Azizya. The Indians advanced into Azizya, with another division guarding Kut. XI Corps reached Khanikan as the Turks attacked Qurna to threaten the Allied supply lines, but Severe Weather prevented them exploiting their victory and the Allies were able to plug the gap and attack and take Ctesphon. The turn ended with my entrenching in Baghdad and moving XI Corps to Hilla.

Fall 1915

No BR and RU MOs, TU Max RPs on 23

The Allies took El Arish, Jafar Pasha leading the Turks to safety, and Turkish Reinforcements arrived, with XIV Corps forming in Baghdad. Allied RPs (Kitchener’s Invasion) preceded another fruitless attack on Ardahan and the Allies captured Kossaima. XV Corps formed in Erzincan and the Salonika Invasion landed on Lemnos.

German Subs in the Med, Asquith/Lloyd George Coalition, Treachery at Fort Rupel and Romania quickly followed each other, with the Romanians seizing Plevna. A Bulgarian counterattack from Sofia re-established communication with the troops in Vidin but left Sofia dangerously weak…

Winter 1916

Meso-Persia and TU MOs TU Max Rps on 23.

Enver ordered attacks on Sarikamis and Eleskirt, killing many Turks, and Djemal brought more troops into Caucasia. The Russians occupied Malazgirt and an Indian attack on Nasirya was prevented by Mosuqitoes. The Turks entrenched in Mus, formed XVI Crops in Erzerum and captured Urmia. A Russian Winter Offensive slammed into Rize, Oltu, Erzerum and Mus, killing many Turks but only capturing Oltu. I redeployed Turks to Mus and Bayburt and Germans to Galicia. We both played for RPs (Allenby, Verdun).

The Russians entered Eastern Persia, the Indians attacked Nasirya but were Surprised and held off, and the Anzacs drew in battle at Beersheba. The troops in Vidin, their supply lines still threatened, pulled back to Sofia and Plevna, just in time for a Serb offensive against Sofia, the Russians attacking Erzerum. Neither attack was victorious, the Serbs being hampered by Severe Weather at Nis, and the turn ended with German Intrigues in a still-neutral Persia.

Spring 1916

British Empire Mo for Allies RU MO for Turks TU Max RPs on 20.

The Russians attacked Bayburt, Mus and Erzerum as the Anzacs attacked Beersheba. They were victorious everywhere, but the trench line held at Mus with some help from Pasha I. Turkish Corps moved around in Caucasia and the Turks counterattacked at Beersheba, successfully outflanking the Anzacs and retaking the space. II Turkistani Corps, back from Europe, reformed in Ardahan, the Russians occupied Gumushane, and the Indians captured Nasirya.

In a desperate throw, the Turks attempted to outflank Gumushane with a combined attack from Erzincan and Trabzon, but succeeded only in allowing the Russians to fire first and eliminate a Turkish Corps, leaving Trabzon and Erzincan ripe to fall, no Turkish divisions in the Reserve and no troops West of Caucasia to stem the advancing Russian tide once Erzincan had fallen. At this point I resigned.

Overview

A deserved win for Antero, who skillfully exploited my mistake in Mesopotamia and concentrated the Russians for the breakthrough in Caucasia. Interestingly neither side bothered to violate Persian Neutrality as there was too much else going on. On my part the Mesopotamian fiasco rapidly became my nemesis, distracting me at the crucial moment in the Balkans and drawing two Turkish Corps south when I needed all the troops I could get in the North.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juerg haeberli
msg tools
Wow...what a reversal.
The first turn and especially the first action round looks like an AP nightmare ( at least to me )
and seems to show why I don't like the standard opening very much.
The usual CP plan to draw as many AP troops as possible to Egypt seems to work out perfectly an even Liberate Suez is for once there when needed.
Out of curiosity: What did Yudentich do in Oltu ? Never seen him there this early.

Which kind of troops did you deploy to Mesopotonia in turn 2 ?

I am still wondering if a Persian Push in turn 2 might not have diverted some Russian divisions.

Turn 3: You held mission to Afghanistan and Persian Push. Jihad must have been by 4. If you push you should have a good chance to get some troops into central Asia or Afghanistan. Were you tempted ?

For the rest I have to follow the game on a map to better understand what happend.
Might come back with some more questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know what Yudenich was doing in Oltu, he was sent there from Tiflis in the Allied 2nd impulse.

I sent 2 elite divs to Mesopotamia in the 2nd turn.
I had already played Persian Push on turn 1 for necessary SR, I didn't draw it in turn 2.

Turn 3 I didn't consider pushing into Persia. It would probably have drawn in some Russians. It would also (though of course I was unaware of this point in Turn 3) have diverted the troops I had to use to protect Baghdad in Turn 4.

The big mistake was not garrisoning Kut, thus allowing the Allies to take it easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juerg haeberli
msg tools
After following the game on the map I am very impressed with Anteros Russian brakethrough.
It seems to me you were a tad unlucky in the combat that ousted you from Amara. It's written nowwhere but it looks like a 3:2 attack on the small unit table for the AP probabely with a cavalery bonus.
Did you withdraw ?
Cant't figure out which unit was in Amara at end of turn 1. If I had to guess I would say camels.
Thank you very much for answering all my questions.

I am going to play the AP in about two weeks and I am very tempted to play first action round secret treaty should I find it in my starting hand. Need some data on this variant.
I will try to sum up the game here afterwards. Since it's as always face to face it will not have that many details.

Talking about data...Would it be much trouble to include the chosen cards for the starting hands in your reports ? Of course it would be super if you had the data for all your games.

Should Antero read this I would be very interested about what he thought after the first game turn.

With best regards

Jürg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Amara attack was 4H+2 vs 3L.- the Allies had a Corps among the attackers. I chose to withdraw, yes, which seems reasonable enough given the odds, though I should have followed up by garrisioning Kut, as I said.

First action round Secret Treaty? Interesting. Never seen it played...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.