Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When and where can we expect to be able to pick up a copy of JAB . . . ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Kirk
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Release schedule?
The sooner the better is all I can say...this game is SWEET!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavan Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Avri,

Thanx for the interest in the game! I am currently finalizing a publishing deal for the game. The date has been loosely scheduled for August. We are of course talking about boardgame production, where production delays are quite common. But, at this point, everything is right on track for an August release! In terms of distribution, we are looking at a North American and possibly UK release. These details again are not completely finalized. I will post an announcement thread in the next week with the go forward details of the release!

Thanx again!

Gavan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Soares
Portugal
Penafiel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man...

A Boxing game!!!Sweetttt

As a fellow amateur Boxeur,i MUST have this game.Cant wait ´till August

Cheers

Paulo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavan Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paulo,

I am extremely happy to hear that! I've been told by the powers that be there is "no market for a sports themed game". My response to the nay-sayers is that existing sports themed card / board games simply aren't good representations of the sport they are themed around, resulting in a bad game. Of course there are exceptions to this rule, specifically Formula D, which is a game that I look up to as inspiration, and has single handedly proven the theory of "no market for sports themed games" to be utterly false.

Most sports games attempt to "port" a sport into a board/card game by utilizing stale mechanics. When the game is ported, the sport loses all the intensity and feeling that makes it great in the first place. Sports themed videogames are extremely popular, because they are able to keep these aspects intact. Specifically, the mechanic of real-time.

With JAB, I chose to approach the design process from a completely different angle: design the game and mechanics AROUND boxing from the ground up, not trying to simply "port" the sport into a card game. The resulting product is better than anything I could have hoped for. And let me tell you it was a long and painful journey.

This game was designed specifically with guys like yourself in mind, and I'm humbled that it interests you. As someone who really understands the sport of boxing, I would LOVE your feedback on the game.

Thanx very much for your interest in JAB. I'll keep you posted!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info Gavan. This is why I love BGG - updates straight from the horse's mouth . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavan Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Avri, I agree, this site is one of a kind. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to answer them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Soares
Portugal
Penafiel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Gavan...

Thanks for the fast reply.

Just want to tell you that i´ll gladly give you any feedback i can on the game.I think that a fighting card-game,in this case boxing,is an awsome idea,and i surely want to try it with my kids...especially if its not that language dependent like it looks.

Im not the best card-game player in the world,but i surely can help you on the boxing department

Will it feature things like misses(wich spends more energy than actually punching the adversary),breathing (wich is one of the most important thing to have in mind while boxing) or even the "dancing" that you´ll have to do while testing the other player?

Sorry if im doing dumb questions,but the truth is that i dont know nothing about the game (cant wait ´till August )...

Cheers

Paulo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavan Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paulo,

The game is not really language dependent at all. The words are used like symbols.

Obviously the game is more of a game than a simulation, so the end product implements only things that add to the game from a gameplay perspective.

But to answer your questions: the game does not feature misses, but it does feature a blocking / guarding mechanism. It does not feature breathing, but it does feature a stamina model, and exhaustion (it is easier to get a knockout as the match progresses). The system also features counter-punching which allows you to play defensively and wait for your opponent to throw a specific punch, that you can capitalize on.

Also it's worth mentioning that the game is playable by kids!

Thematically tied mechanics include:
5 types of punches: Haymaker, Cross, Jab, Hook, Uppercut
Boxer targets: You can punch your opponent in the head or body.
Combinations: playing specific punches allows you to gain extra points from the judges.
Knockouts: you can knock your opponent, and win instantly, out before the match is over
Clinching: if you are about to get knocked out, you can clinch, but it severely punishes your score for the round.
Round Based wins: you can win by winning more rounds (scoring more points)
Stamina: when you haymaker your opponent, you reduce his stamina. When you counter punch you gain stamina
Exhaustion: as the match progresses, it becomes easier to knockout your opponent.
Counter-Punches: you can counter your opponent's punches
Blocking: you can reduce your opponent's punch score by blocking his punches
Free form: like a fighting videogame, you can play punches where ever you want whenever you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Soares
Portugal
Penafiel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man...this looks promissing.

This past night while i was awake in bed,i was thinking if the game would have combos....it looks like laugh

I guess that all the important features in boxing are present so,the only thing i can do is, waiting till i play the game

Cant wait till i Knock Out my 5 years old boy...and get my revenge for my endless UNO losses

Cheers

Paulo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Zinzi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, this looks fantastic! As a boxer and board/card gamer....well this is the game I have been looking for. Virtually nothing good w/ boxing games in the game market, only so-so stuff. Playable by kids, too is great as I have young sons and I also run a busy gaming club in the school that I work. They will get a big kick out of this. I can't wait! Keep us posted!

Frank
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavan Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanx for the interest Frank! If you have any questions regarding the game, feel free to ask!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jharrod Meade-Frazier

Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As a casual kickboxer, I am really looking forward to this release.
Also was interesting is that I have been brainstorming mechanics to make a card game out of kenjutsu duels. From what I have read about the mechanics in JAB, it seems I was thinking along the same lines, though less refined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Bourassa
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent
mbmbmb
When can we expect to see the rules published so that we can better understand how the game is played?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavan Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Christopher, great question.

They are being skinned right now (made pretty). I will speak with the publisher about posting them up here when they are all done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavan Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules will be posted closer to the release of the game, currently slated for September. If you have any other questions, let me know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mckane
Australia
SYDNEY
N.S.W
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Can't wait, Looks awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Kochel
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I'm in for sure, just make it and I'll buy it...

Sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pasi
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
Ka Mate Ka Mate
badge
Ka Ora Ka Ora
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any chance that this will make it to Essen 2010? And if not, how will I get my gloves on this one in Continental Europe...I want, I want, I want, I want
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
massimiliano cuccia
Italy
catania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pricing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavan Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Is there any chance that this will make it to Essen 2010? And if not, how will I get my gloves on this one in Continental Europe...I want, I want, I want, I want

I am hoping to pack a pre-release copy with a Game Designer friend of mine: Matt Tolman, who will be attending Essen.

Quote:
pricing?

$20 USD

Thanx a lot everyone, I really appreciate your support!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, for those of you in Europe, or any non-USA country, that want to get your hands on JAB... Let me explain a bit about Tasty Minstrel Games distribution structure.

We utilize a fulfillment company called PSI. They have existing relationships with distributors all over the world, so if you speak with your local game stores, then let them know that their distributors can get the game from PSI.

Hopefully the communication lines will get the game into your hands. Also, we do not do any direct to consumer sales outside of the USA, since the last time we did it was a customs and tariff nightmare.

Also, the distributors will not yet be aware that this game is coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
massimiliano cuccia
Italy
catania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrMayhem wrote:
We utilize a fulfillment company called PSI. They have existing relationships with distributors all over the world, so if you speak with your local game stores, then let them know that their distributors can get the game from PSI.

Hopefully the communication lines will get the game into your hands. Also, we do not do any direct to consumer sales outside of the USA, since the last time we did it was a customs and tariff nightmare.

forwarded to my game store!
thanks

Is this the place for a rule clarification?
what if i hit the hand of my opponent?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
massimiliano_cuccia wrote:
DrMayhem wrote:

forwarded to my game store!
thanks

Is this the place for a rule clarification?
what if i hit the hand of my opponent?

Tell them to get out of your way... It is inevitable. My opinion is that you push right through them (unless they are a little kid)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pasi
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
Ka Mate Ka Mate
badge
Ka Ora Ka Ora
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok will try that PSI thingie...but if it makes it to Essen, which I still hope for, please pretty please reserve me a copy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.