Subject: Gaming Conventions- When to go? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sarah Leven
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Hello all! Wasn't sure what category to put this under so apologies if this isn't quite right. Anyway, my boyfriend wants to take me to a board gaming convention next weekend but I'm not sure I'm ready. I really enjoy board gaming but I'm not particularly good at it. I'm afraid if I go with him I will wind up embarrassing him. I tend to play between 40 to 50 games a month and only win maybe 3 of them at most. When are you ready to go to a con and not be an embarrassment? To his credit, he is not at all concerned about me embarrassing him. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dubin
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go. Have fun. Don't worry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
???

Unless you're playing as a team in a competitive tournament I'm not sure I really understand your hesitance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Broh-Kahn
United States
Phoenix
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I've always enjoyed WBC in Early August in Lancaster, PA, but it does have a deserved reputation for being competitive. But don't worry, most of the people there are great, and there are a lot of games for beginners or novice players to enjoy. PLus, you'll learn some tricks of the trade from the best!

Good luck, you really cannot go wrong anywhere you go.

Cheers,

Daniel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate Callen
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow - you sound like a really dedicated gamer, playing that much willingly when you don't win. I've never been to a games con, but it sounds like it could be a lot of fun. You might even find some games you'd be better than your boyfriend at...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If winning was a prerequiste nobody would go.

You'll be fine. There are all types of gamers out there.

Don't worry about it at all! Just go, play and have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Leven
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
My hesitation is that I will look like an idiot. Part of my consistent losing is that my boyfriend will get a new game, study it to death on here, surprise me with it, and then only want to play it once every six months. So I never get a chance to get good at any game. And that's okay; I enjoy playing. I just don't want to be an embarrassment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Witzany
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nervousbutterfly wrote:
My hesitation is that I will look like an idiot. Part of my consistent losing is that my boyfriend will get a new game, study it to death on here, surprise me with it, and then only want to play it once every six months. So I never get a chance to get good at any game. And that's okay; I enjoy playing. I just don't want to be an embarrassment.

Guilty. If I had my way, we'd work through my whole collection before cycling back to the beginning. As of this moment that'd take a couple of years but it might never happen, at the rate I buy new games. My gaming group are a great bunch, though, and they asked that we add an extra game night each month, exclusively for games we've played before. Talk about the best of all possible worlds--they get to replay the games they like the most, and I get an extra day of gaming each month. I've got to think the boy would agree to something like this.

In the mean time, you shouldn't worry about going to this event. Just make sure that you play the sort of games that you like, and you'll have a great time--forget what anyone else might be thinking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Parsons
United Kingdom
CHELMSFORD
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Nearly all of the people I've met at games conventions in the UK have been there for the pleasure of playing games and to enjoy the company of fellow gamers. No one has ever asked to see my won-lost record. Go, have a good time, don't fear embarrassment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dubin
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nervousbutterfly wrote:
My hesitation is that I will look like an idiot.

Sarah, you will not look like an idiot.

First of all, many people attend conventions specifically to play games they rarely or never get to play with their usual gaming group or family. So you won't be the only person to have played the game one or fewer times.

Secondly, there will be one or two people in attendance who, being a bit socially challenged, will act like idiots. You won't be one of those people.

Instead, you'll be enjoying the games you play, and behaving with grace and good sportsmanship whether you win or lose. Everyone will respect that.

Go. Have fun. Don't worry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike G
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I went to my first con last weekend. I came in dead last in almost every game I played. Nobody seemed to mind my incompetence so neither did I. I had a great time.

I think i would have felt like an idiot if my fear of looking like an idiot had kept me from going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Forbes

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll probably find you have a better chance of winning when you play a multiplayer game and everyone beats on the experienced player(s).

And yes, just go. You'll enjoy yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Sachan
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sounds like you need to ditch the boyfriend, go to a self esteem course, and then go to a con and have fun!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Gloucester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solution: no matter what game you play, always say it's new to you or you only watched it being played once. I went to a gaming convention for the first time ever a couple of weeks ago, and 5 out of the 7 games I played were new to me. I didn't expect to win any of them, I just wanted to learn and try new games. I made some awful mistakes, but I won a game too. Who cares, it's all fun.

98% of the people there are there to play, not win. The other 2% can go stuff it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There's more to a con than just gaming: the dealer's room... the flea market... seminars and other events... attractions and food outside of the convention area... people and game watching...

It's analogous to a trip to Las Vegas -- there's more to it than the games. I'd recommend talking to the bf to get an idea of what the two of you will expect from a gaming convention. Does he want to show off new games to you? Is the convention just part of time together with you?

Does your bf care if you win or lose?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred W. Manzo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sarah, I think you have too narrow an idea of conventions. First off, most people there go to play games they like, or learn new games they might like, or buy games or equipment or books they hope they'll like, or play-test upcoming games or talk to game designers, or meet people like themselves. Winning competetively is way, way down the list. Yes, there are competetive tournaments, but there is also free gaming, flee markets, dealer areas, auctions and lectures. So just do what interests you. Even in touramants, the first 2 or three rounds are overflowing with people who have only played the game a few times and may even be unsure of the rules themselves, so don't expect anyone really to care what your win-lost percentages are. Go and have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Parsons
United Kingdom
CHELMSFORD
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Just don't play any game for money; it's almost certain that some sneak will have studied it to death on here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drown
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
don't forget that at every con game with 4 players, 3 "lose" the game, but 4 have fun...

My point is, go to the convention to experience new games, and see different games or playing styles. I use cons to try games before I buy, and to just play games with different people.

Trust me, you'll have fun, the purpose of gaming is to enjoy the experience of playing, not just winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never been to a convention, but I'd wager that nearly every game played at a con has at least one person who didn't win. I'd be really surprised if anybody asked you how many games you'd won over the weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
nervousbutterfly wrote:
Hello all! Wasn't sure what category to put this under so apologies if this isn't quite right. Anyway, my boyfriend wants to take me to a board gaming convention next weekend but I'm not sure I'm ready. I really enjoy board gaming but I'm not particularly good at it. I'm afraid if I go with him I will wind up embarrassing him. I tend to play between 40 to 50 games a month and only win maybe 3 of them at most. When are you ready to go to a con and not be an embarrassment? To his credit, he is not at all concerned about me embarrassing him. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You will probably only embarrass him if you drool on your game pieces or fart at the game table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you enter into a tournament and don't know how to play the game in question, you'll look like an idiot. Note that you don't need to be awesome at a game to enter a tournament, just make sure you know the rules.

Apart from that, there'll likely be tables for open gaming and you'll find that 90% of the gamers will be friendly and willing to teach.

Don't worry, you'll have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave King
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just being among all those gamers is half the fun. You don't have to sign up for any competitive events, and there will probably be some open gaming, where you will find something of interest and somebody looking for an opponent. Enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.