9 Posts

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Enemy ships and own space dock production rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ter Ter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the game first time yesterday and i got confused in one spot.
I controlled a system with 2 palnets, one with a space dock, pds ground forces the other with groud forces and the system had ships, the other player attacked me and he managed to destroy all my ships, and take one playet with just the ground forces. Now i activated the system and build ships with that space dock. Then the next round i activated the system again and we had combat.
My questions would be. Do i had the possibility to activate the system and build ships there? How then the combat should be resolved? Did i do i right? In the next activation the combat is resolved or not? (Yeah i forgot to fire with PDS when activating the system).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn
United States
Pelham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You CANNOT build ships in a system containing enemy ships. They effectively blockage your production.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
If an enemy has space ships in a system with one of your space docks, this space dock is under blockade and can't produce. You can still activate the system, though, to move ships from elsewhere into the system and get back control of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Weilong Seow
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TerTer wrote:
I played the game first time yesterday and i got confused in one spot.
I controlled a system with 2 palnets, one with a space dock, pds ground forces the other with groud forces and the system had ships, the other player attacked me and he managed to destroy all my ships, and take one playet with just the ground forces. Now i activated the system and build ships with that space dock. Then the next round i activated the system again and we had combat.
My questions would be. Do i had the possibility to activate the system and build ships there? How then the combat should be resolved? Did i do i right? In the next activation the combat is resolved or not? (Yeah i forgot to fire with PDS when activating the system).

You are not allowed to build ships from your space dock in a system with only enemy ships. Your space dock would be consider under blockade and you are only able to build ground forces and PDSes(bear in mind the limit of 2 PDSes per planet) from it until the system is clear of enemy ships. You can however, activate the system to fire your PDS and to build (ground forces or PDSes) from your space dock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ter Ter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok thanks.
Now i found the rule.Somehow we missed the rule, when playing teh first time (Was late night)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schulzetenberg
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If he still had ships in that system (which he must have had in order to get the ground forces there), your space dock is under blockade, and thus can't build ships.

If you had ships in other systems within range, you could activate the system, move those other ships in there, have combat, and then, if you forced him to retreat or eliminated him, build there, but the situation as you describe it is against the rules.

A good rule of thumb is that two players can never both have space ships coexisting in the same system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Haas
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the rulebook p.26:

'If a system contains at least one enemy spaceship, all friendly Space Docks are considered under blockade, and may not produce space ship units while the enemy units are in the system. A Space Dock under blockade may still build Ground Forces and PDS on its planet during the Production step of the Activation Sequence.'

Edit: typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not following your example clearly, but let's see.

First, if he had any ships in the system at all, your Space Dock was blockaded, and you couldn't produce. If he took your planet, he must have had at least one Carrier there, so it sounds like you were most likely blockaded.

Assuming that wasn't the case, then you always follow the normal order of a Tactical Action. Movement, then combat, then production. If you wanted to build ships in the system then retake that planet, it would require two activations, because you can't do the production step before the combat step.

If there were enemy ships present, you could activate the system, move your fleet in (and fire your PDS), destroy those ships, then build at your space dock, all in the same activation. However, if you failed to destroy all his ships, then you couldn't build starships there at all.

Last detail: you can always build Ground Forces and PDSes, even if the space dock is blockaded. You'll just have no way to move them to the other planet until your clear the skies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ter Ter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK thanks for the info
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.