Popular Tags: [View All]
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently, busting up private property during G20 summits isn't enough for some people. Now, there's a bunch of people calling themselves the "Olympic Resistance Network" who also target, well, the cities in which the Olympic Games are being held. Now, peaceful protest is certainly something most of us support, but why do these groups always attract losers like the thugs in this story who threw garbage cans through the plate glass windows of shops in downtown Vancouver? Apparently, the police came down hard on the rowdies who were busting up stuff, and the ORN is complaining about that. Frankly, this group should support the police action - if the ORN cares about actually advancing their causes, whatever they are, they should definitely not want to be associated with a bunch of masked, rock-throwing criminals. As with the G20, I continue to fail to see what good comes of destroying property in the name of protest.

Here's a snippet of the news story...
VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP) -- Police in riot gear confronted more than 200 masked protesters who hurled newspaper boxes through display windows of a popular department store selling Olympic souvenirs.

Seven people were arrested after officers carrying clubs and shields quashed the downtown protest on the opening day of competition at the Vancouver Olympics. There were no immediate reports of injuries.

Those arrested could face a variety of charges, including assault, Police Chief Jim Chu said. At least one could be charged with weapons possession for wrapping a bicycle chain around his fist and threatening passers-by. None of the protesters was immediately identified.

Chu said police knew in advance about the protest, but decided to move in once they knew "criminals" were involved.

Authorities said they were wary of masked anarchists who dress in black and use a tactic called "Black Block" to hide their identities. Among them was a loosely organized group from central Canada known to disrupt events that draw media coverage, police said.

"Their tactic is to hide within the ranks of legitimates protesters," Chu said.

He maintained that about half the protesters were "criminals intent ... on committing violent acts, including damage to property, including assaulting passers-by."

The Olympic Resistance Network said on its Web site it was protesting to "disturb 'business as usual'" in Vancouver.

The ORN is an umbrella group for many causes surrounding the games, ranging from environmental to economic issues. The most prominent involve native Indians who want to reclaim property ("No Olympics on Stolen Ancient Land") and those angry over the amount of money spent on Olympics as opposed to public housing ("Homes Not Games").

Here's the whole story...
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/O/OLY_OLYMPIC_PROTEST?S...

And, here's the website for the ORN...
http://olympicresistance.net/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevan sumner
Canada
Brandon
Manitoba
flag msg tools
Join us in June for Manitoba's longest-running game convention! www.prairiecon.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this was all over the news here last night. The real problem is a group of hardcore anarchists that insinuate themselves into all of these events. They're a small group, estimated to be about 30, but sort of like the Bolsheviks during the Russia Revolution, they have a way of taking things over because the rest of the radical lefties are too weak-spined to disavow them or kick them out of their events.

Vancouver, like any large city, has its problems. I can understand where special interest groups feel the desire to protest, to help ensure (in their minds at least) that everyone is aware of these problems. I'm a big supporter of democracy, freedom of expression, and the right to protest. But this isn't the exercising of right, it's simple street-level violence and hooliganism. I think that these radicals should be rounded up and held without bail for the duration of the Olympics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Taylor
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aw yeah, Vancouver is getting ORNy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GAWD wrote:
Don't worry your little head about this leo ... the cops have everything in hand. Just you keep doing what you're doing, clickety clacking on that keyboard.

Hey, cool, it's our resident anarchist! GAWD, do I take it that you are supportive of your brethren's creative use of trash cans to make what they feel are critically vital political statements?

You know what I love about anarchists? It's their almost child-like naivetivity about what anarchy really is. You know what anarchy really looks like, I mean fully realized anarchy? This is what it looks like...

and this...

and eventually this...

Yeah, let's bring down society, because it's so rotten at its core. Let's destroy order and replace it with chaos. Let's eliminate those forces which bring a sense of security, safety, and serenity to the lives of 100's of millions of people, and replace them with uncertainty, fear, mistrust, and pain. Let's do away with the evil corporations and crooked small businesses that employ people, allow us to have a roof over our heads and food to eat and clothes to wear, and provide us with the basic services so that we don't have to go to bed at night wondering who is going to steal our stuff or kill us the next day. True anarchy is the destruction of everything that allows human beings to rise above an animalistic survival instinct and realize true happiness. Yes, by all means, let's sing the praises of the misguided prophets who would send civilization crashing to the ground and usher in a new Dark Ages, all in the name of supposedly saving us from the evil clutches of souless corporations and their insidious wage slavery, mindless consumerism, and brutal police states.

I have nothing against you personally, GAWD, but to the anarchist movement in general, my reaction is simply thus...

Give me a fucking break and grow up already.

BTW GAWD - I see your keyboard is working too, so I guess that makes us even.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destiny's got her hand way, way up in their puppets! It's an unpleasant tingling! The deepest of wriggles!
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
Well, once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix.
mbmbmbmbmb
Leo, I think what GAWD means is that the real revolutionaries no longer bother with mere vandalism. Instead, they are working behind the scenes networking, fund-raising and influencing, positioning themselves so that, if their fever dreams of societal collapse ever come true, they'll be the ones tying the nooses instead of swinging from them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mistermarino wrote:
... working behind the scenes networking, fund-raising and influencing, positioning themselves ...

If they're patient, hard working and intelligent enough then they've got a chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
msg tools
badge
DCAnderson wrote:
And on top of that, I think the idea that it's ok for somebody's property to be destroyed every time some dumb hippies are mad about some dumb hippie shit, is hella lame.

That's why I fully support hippies smoking pot. Instead of breaking other people's stuff, they can sit around and wonder if our universe is, like, one neutron in an entire ATOM made up of UNIVERSES! It totally blows their minds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Ramadanovic
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seen them, seen the damage... tempest in a teacup.
Few guys got drunk and rowdy and decided to "protest" by smashing some windows - can hardly be called a protest. Most are cooling down in the drunk tank now.
None of it had anything to do with a decently attended and very civil demonstrations today.
Fans coming out of a losing hockey game are both more organized and more dangerous then these so called anarchists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GAWD wrote:
It's so horrible how those hoodlums are protesting the wonderful East India Company; they should just realize that we have to bailout the East India Company w/these taxes b/c the East India Company employs so many people and helps facilitate trade.
Excellent use of satire to make your point, GAWD.

Very reminiscent of Jon Stewart humor.
thumbsup

Game, set, and match to you.

deserttfox - you were PLAYED.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
United States
San Ramon
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
GAWD wrote:
AAhhhhh!!! OOOOHHHHH NNOOOOO!!!

Property Destruction! Protest! Holy Shit!

Save us Glenn Beck! Please save us!

Save us from all these hoodlums:

OMG!!! They're wearing disguises!! EVIL EVIL EVIL!!

It's so horrible how those hoodlums are protesting the wonderful East India Company; they should just realize that we have to bailout the East India Company w/these taxes b/c the East India Company employs so many people and helps facilitate trade. They're too big to fail. Besides, those hoodlums should be licking boots to show their gratitude that we've helped them conquer a far away land and keep them safe from reprisals of the people that we've conquered.

I mean wtf are those hoodlums doing? They want to destroy society ... they want to govern themselves? People are too stoopid for that ... they need a strong king to keep them in line and tell them what to do.

Fuck! Those hoodlums should grow the fuck up already!

Boston Tea Party: Destruction of the king's property to protest his unfair taxation policies.

Anarchists: Douchebag trustafarians vandalizing random businesses in a city that is hosting a sporting event.

Sorry, I don't see the relationship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GAWD wrote:
Thanks. I'm certainly not the first one to make the connection (re: Emma Goldman's Address to the Jury)

Modern anarchists might want to study their history to see how the movement Emma Goldman was involved in captured the hearts and minds of many people and why the modern movement is alienating so many.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Ramadanovic
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome Emma Goldman speech, I have not actually read that one before - though I was of course aware of her. It just shows how close cousin political anarchism is to my beloved classical liberalism. (No classic liberal could support conscription for one).

On the further subject of the so called Anarchists who tried their little stunt in Vancouver few days ago - assuming they are truly political and not just random trouble-makers - they are also colossally dumb.

Using random force when you are in position of absolute weakness makes you look at the same time as weak *and* a bully which means you will get neither respect nor sympathy. In fact, weak bullys are everyone's favorite people to hate.

I understand that their strategy would have been to try and provoke police repression which will turn them into martyrs and garner public support for their cause, but they achieved exactly the opposite - insofar as their action was noticed at all. Police action was seen as measured and reasonable, garnering some sympathy for the otherwise excessive overall Olympic security and a degree of support was lost to what was otherwise entirely legitimate protest against the games.

All they managed to do is vent some personal frustration with the fact that most people (unfortunately or not) *do* seem to be enjoying the games so far. That is why I linked them with the losing hockey supporters. Venting personal frustration by damaging random property and being sent to cool in prison for a day or two is much more at place among such then among legitimate political protesters - much less "revolutionaries".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.