Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gareth Davies
United Kingdom
Croydon
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Right, over the past month I'm become something of a board game addict - much the amusement of my housemates and the girl I'm seeing. I sold my Xbox 360 and used the cash to purchase some games, which are listed below. I know it's not an extensive collection and they certainly don't cover all the genres and styles, so I thought I'd see if you guys have any recommendations for which games to look at next.

There's no rush - some of the games listed below haven't arrived yet - but I like reading up about the games so wouldn't mind starting now to make sure I make the right choices.

Games so far (in chronological order)

- War on Terror - Played three times now - has gone down very well.
- Last Night on Earth - Read about it, wanted it a lot. Got it home, played the basic scenario, was sceptical. Played an advanced mission, liked it a lot more.
- Pandemic - Played it three times, won once. Housemates aren't too keen, though I like it. Could foresee swapping it at some point.
- Settlers of Catan - Arrived a few days ago but I haven't played it yet, simply because I can't stop playing...
- 1960: Making of the President - Definitely the best game I've played so far. Lost every time I've played, but still had a great time.

Yet to arrive:

- Ticket to Ride Europe - I think the housemates will like it, but does it have longevity? Is it that tactical?
- Battlestar Galactica - Housemates are massive fans of the show, so am I. Surely on to a winner, right?
- Shadows over Camelot - Was looking forward to this one, but having found out my housemates aren't too keen on cooperative games, I'm not too sure if they will play it.
- Tales of Arabian Nights- Loved the choose your own adventure books when I was a kid, so this sounded intriguing.
- Bang! Read some good things.
- Citadels Ditto...

so any thoughts? any opinions appreciated, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mb
If 1960: The Making of the President is the best game you've played so far, then you certainly should try Twilight Struggle.

Same designer, same publisher, similar card driven mechanics and tension aplenty should make this a hit with you and your group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
onemanlandslide wrote:
some of the games listed below haven't arrived yet - but I like reading up about the games so wouldn't mind starting now to make sure I make the right choices.

Yes, you are definitely addicted
:meeple:

I second Twilight Struggle, if you think you can get people to play it with you. It's longer than 1960. What a great game.

Since you're not in a hurry, keep the following soon-to-be-released games also on your radar. They are by the same designer as 1960 and TS:
Founding Fathers (maybe an ironic experience for a Briton? :-)
Campaign Manager 2008

Check out the rankings too. Lots of great games there
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/browse/boardgame

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington

Long Island City
New York
msg tools
BSG should go over pretty big with fans, but if you're grooving on WAR ON TERROR, you won't be disappointed by their latest offering, Crunch: The Game for Utter Bankers, a card game where everyone's the CEO of a finanicial company (think AIG, Citibank, etc.), getting workforces under their thumb, laying debt on them, collecting interest on said debt, and screwing each other over while trying to embezzle as much as possible from their respective companies. Basically does for RACE FOR THE GALAXY and SAN JUAN what WAR ON TERROR did for IMPERIAL and STRUGGLE OF EMPIRES. You might want to buy 2 sets and combine them - for variaous reasons, you can occasionally wind up running light on cards, and 2 sets shuffled togther should cover 6-8 players.

And if BANG! goes well, definitely look at Ca$h 'n Gun$.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1960 is a card driven game. Much lighter, but also card driven are Memoir '44 and BattleLore. A huge amount of plastic miniatures (small ones) and overall great components. Scenario based, which makes the games replayable and varied.

One other thing: why not slow down a bit... With the games you already have and are coming to you, you have games that will last you several months.

But we are all addicts here so you are not alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My game group has had a lot of fun with Agricola and Le Havre (both have similar play mechanics but different nuances).

Catan is okay but I find that it relies too much on luck than skill.

Carcassone is a great game if you want something quick and simple.

The Ticket to Ride series has a fair amount of longevity. It's also an easy game to introduce to non-gamers and to turn them into gamers

Enjoy the hobby and find a good game store!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.