Subject: Out of the mouths of babes . . . rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Ossar
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My seven year old daughter continues to be interested in RftG. (As I type this, she and her sister (age 3) are rolling around in their room shouting "Imperium Cloaking Technology!" and laughing.)

I've found Keldon's AI to be an ideal teaching tool for her. For one thing, since we tend to sneak in games in odd bits of time, not having to shuffle cards and otherwise fool around with physical bits means we can go through a game a lot faster. She still vastly prefers a game with the physical cards, though, God bless her. The other great thing is that I can walk her thorough how I'm thinking about the strategy. It's charming and sort of impressive now to listen to her looking at the start worlds vis-a-vis the goals in play and our starting hand and evaluating which would be the better choice. Lately she has started disagreeing with some of my strategy calls, so the "undo turn" button is great for comparing her way and mine. (She's a big fan of last turn Explore +5/Develop in hopes of finding a high-scoring 6-dev.)

We recently finished a game where we used Improved Logistics and a bit of military to quickly settle a bunch of cheap stuff before the AI could get a produce/consume tableau running, winning 29-23. She was not satisfied with our relatively low-scoring tableau, and had advocated not ending the game so quickly in hopes of finding a 6-dev or big military world so that we could score better. I told her that the important thing was that we wound up at the end of the game with more points than our opponent. Having seen her share of kid's programs that "promote understanding of inter- and intra-personal dynamics", she was certain that this was not correct. "No," she explained, "the important thing is that we had fun."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Frazier
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
jossar wrote:
"No," she explained, "the important thing is that we had fun."

Well done, sir.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Oliveira
Brazil
CHAPECÓ
Santa Catarina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats man... I hope my child grow up like yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
jossar wrote:
(As I type this, she and her sister (age 3) are rolling around in their room shouting "Imperium Cloaking Technology!" and laughing.)

Brilliant. Your household is truly blessed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The important thing is to learn that more than one thing can be important, and that therefore there is no "the" important thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.