Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't make the same stupid, terrible mistakes we did!

1) We forgot (or didn't notice) that you can buy shields at Terra Prime in addition to just charging them up. No wonder even just a single asteroid was cause for alarm and we were all losing our modules and LPs every time we turned around.

2) We neglected to start out by building Blue and Brown colonies, jumping straight to Green and Yellow to start the game. With no Blue, we couldn't build cargo modules to carry the Yellow goods that we were producing! With no Brown, we couldn't build any of those cool technology advances!

3) We forgot at first that you can't build a colony adjacent to hostile aliens. You have to destoy them or pacify them first!

4) At the very start of the game, we almost forgot that you can only Explore once per turn. (Fortunately, we realized our error when the second player did his first turn, so we corrected this one right away.)

Hey, my excuse is that it was very late at night (1am), the last game after a long day of gaming... In the end, we thought the game was enjoyable in spite of our errors, and we all said we would play it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tempus42 wrote:
Don't make the same stupid, terrible mistakes we did!

1) We forgot (or didn't notice) that you can buy shields at Terra Prime in addition to just charging them up. No wonder even just a single asteroid was cause for alarm and we were all losing our modules and LPs every time we turned around.

2) We neglected to start out by building Blue and Brown colonies, jumping straight to Green and Yellow to start the game. With no Blue, we couldn't build cargo modules to carry the Yellow goods that we were producing! With no Brown, we couldn't build any of those cool technology advances!

3) We forgot at first that you can't build a colony adjacent to hostile aliens. You have to destoy them or pacify them first!

4) At the very start of the game, we almost forgot that you can only Explore once per turn. (Fortunately, we realized our error when the second player did his first turn, so we corrected this one right away.)

Hey, my excuse is that it was very late at night (1am), the last game after a long day of gaming... In the end, we thought the game was enjoyable in spite of our errors, and we all said we would play it again.

All good points!

Yes, shields are a big deal - if you couldn't buy them at Terra Prime then that would make the game pretty tough!

Blue planets are one of the first ones you come across, so usually people colonize them as a matter of course... kinda funny that your group decided to skip them. I've seen games where either Green or Blue is in very short supply due to how players place the tiles and choose their colonies, it usually pays off pretty well to be the only guy with a Blue colony

Colonizing next to aliens would be crazy! I guess you could fly in to someone's alien-adjacent colony (get shot), pick up a good (get shot), and install a module (get shot)... sounds dangerous!

Exploring more than once a turn would kinda destroy the early game, as you seem to have noticed.

I'm glad you liked Terra Prime, despite the mistakes! Here's to many more games of it under the correct rules! I hope you get to play it enough that you're so sick of it you look forward to the expansion...

- Seth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first game on Sunday at Orccon 2010. None of us had played and I hadn't read the rules in a few weeks so it was rough the first few rounds. We forgot about the shields at Terra Prime too until about a third of the way into the game.

The game didn't really go well since two of our group was more casual gamers and the tons of bits confused everyone. Not to mention my lack of knowledge of the game rules. So I blame myself for the poor game. I just hope I can convince my friends to play again. I think the game is cool but a smoother introduction will probably help greatly.

Seth, I was really disappointed I didn't get to play Belford. I searched the open gaming room frequently throughout the weekend for your demo table but never found it. I really wanted to try it out. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Surya Van Lierde is pure Eurosnoot and proud of it!
Belgium
Michelbeke
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tempus42 wrote:

Wops, we played that wrong too. Didn't really matter that much, as no one used the colonies for fear of the aliens. It did give the builder points, but I think the aliens where eventually destroyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk English
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did Seth say expansion!!! Wow, I can't wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:

Colonizing next to aliens would be crazy! I guess you could fly in to someone's alien-adjacent colony (get shot), pick up a good (get shot), and install a module (get shot)... sounds dangerous!

- Seth

HA! HA! Believe it or not we did this on our first play. I kept saying, they really shoot your for "every" action. Yep... then re-read and saw you can't build a colony in a sector next to aliens... OH!... the cloaking shield confused us more cause it says cloaked for move/explore actions only. So, you are not safe if you attack is what it meant. But, we were thinking, or building a colony, or picking up a cube you have to decloak too. No wonder I needed to keep 3 shield modules fully charged. shake

BOb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.