Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Wiz-War» Forums » General

Subject: Worth spending $80 on Artscow cards? (432, wow is there really that many?) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Harvey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey there,

I've been reading into this game and I must admit, im really starting to like the sound of it. But I had a look at printing it out, and saw that there are 432 cards, which equates to $80 in artscow decks (since its easier than cutting them out, thats for sure!)

To me, thats very expensive, and considering thats just the cards and I still have the rest to print out myself, it seems a whole lot for one game.

So would you say its worth it, or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything is relative however; I'd say it's more of an $80 ArtsCow set plus another $20 or so in high quality counters, so $100 vs. whatever an original one might go for $40 -$70 on the BGG marketplace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
Everything is relative however; I'd say it's more of an $80 ArtsCow set plus another $20 or so in high quality counters, so $100 vs. whatever an original one might go for $40 -$70 on the BGG marketplace.

I absolutely can't stand the game. But I also think the cards included in the edition I had (Chessex) were absolute crap quality; unlike most games, Artscow would actually be an improvement over the materials in a used marketplace official set.

If you love the game and absolutely must have a set to play with your buddies, I think artscow is money-better-spent. Personally, though, I can think of about a hundred ways I'd rather spend that kind of money than on Wiz War in any form.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose it's a question of cost effectiveness. Going the ArtsCow route costs more than simply buying an OOP copy. The only reason to do that would be for the improved quality of game art. Since there really isn't any significant card art on the spell deck, etc... that's a moot point.

My opinion, spending money on an ArtsCow deck as part of a redesign DIY for Merchant of Venus, Dune, Up Front, etc... would be OK. Wiz-War, not so much. I'd just buy an original or save money for the (someday) reprint by playing with a DIY set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Avery
United States
Suwanee
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Linky? I'm sure you could get by with a partial set.

Steve"Got the Hirst Part Made"Avery

BTW I love the game wa WizWar Playah Haters...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Daneman
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's 432 cards if you include all expansions plus a bunch of the community cards. This would be much more content than you would get if you bought a used copy (even a used copy with expansions) from EBay. Also, I agree that the card quality from Artcow would be much better than the Chessex editions.

Whether it's worth it or not is really your call - depends on how much you like the game and how important card quality is to you.

I do have it on good authority that Wiz-War will be re-printed (in a much better edition than Chessex) sometime in 2010 (probably late 2010).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattwran
United States
LONGMEADOW
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A cheaper way to do this would be to print out the cards onto labels and then stick the labels on Magic commons or any other kind of card you can get cheap. A friend of mine gave me a bunch of Illuminati duplicates and that has worked just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lard Head
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whether it is worth it or not is entirely dependant on how much you like the game and how much it gets played. I quite like it, but given my current gaming habits wouldn't pay that much for it (although it would be an improvement in component quality over my Chessex edition). There was a time I probably would have though. You won't need to print/spend that much if you just do the base game (might be a worthwhile way to try and see if you want to print out the rest). I'd try to play it if you haven't though, or at least talk to people who you'd play it with, since how much table time and enjoyment it gets will really be the determining factor for whether it is worth it or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gilkey
United States
Eureka
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game but I do not think it is worth $80. I made my own copy and it cost me about $25 plus about 6 hours of my time. That said I made the whole thing and I think you would be better off removing all of the fan made cards at first ( I haven't counted but removing them cut the deck roughly in half) and adding them in is as you see fit later. I found that with all the cards the game was a bit clunky and finding the right tokens could take too long ( removing the fan cards also removes a lot of the tokens ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That's not my name.
msg tools
mbmbmb
Ditch the fan stuff.

Honestly, the base game is enough to tell what if the game is what you want or not. I think the first expansion is excellent, and eventually it's a must-print. However, I also think it can wait if you're trying to keep the number of decks down. The second expansion is more variable, and the fan stuff is both huge and all over the place, quality-wise.

Printing the base set and first expansion, plus enough cards that interest you and some numbers to pad it out to the next full deck would be best from a cost and fun perspective.

Don't be afraid to add cards and remove cards. Wiz-War is resilient, and you're not going to break it.

In any case, you're going to have to make the boards and tokens, so don't ignore those costs. I think I spent about $40 on my sticky-label set of base+2 expansions (before ArtsCow offered 54-card decks), and much of that went into the foamcore boards and the tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
I absolutely can't stand the game. But I also think the cards included in the edition I had (Chessex) were absolute crap quality; unlike most games, Artscow would actually be an improvement over the materials in a used marketplace official set.

I actually preferred the original cards ("Back in my days, we didn't have art on our cards! And we liked it that way!") since you could easily add your own fan-made cards. Myself, I added 500+ cards (including number cards and "staple" base set cards to keep the proportions correct).

Anywho, yes, it's worth it. No, you don't need fancy pants game components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dieckmann
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Iv e made a set using artscow and I enjoy the end product. the boards were made from the online forum as well as the counters alot more than the new FFG
?? version will be if it comes out?? I like my set i also bought minis from the 4th edition arcane set to use as wizards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mishenka wrote:

I do have it on good authority that Wiz-War will be re-printed (in a much better edition than Chessex) sometime in 2010 (probably late 2010).

Any news on the reprint?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
Mishenka wrote:

Any news on the reprint?

It's a myth! whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had the actual game up for trade for years, and never had a nibble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.