Michael Pavelich
Norway
Nordfjordeid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was reading the rules for the hunt and it said that a +1 modifier is added for hunt roll results if the Fellowship has moved more than once on a turn.

It then states that for EVERY action die placed in the hunt box (after EVERY fellowship move), the shadow player adds +1.

Then it gives an example where the Fellowship has moved twice and only has one action die in the box. Why aren't there TWO dice since the fellowship has moved twice?

The example says that the shadow player only has to roll 5 or 6. Why not FOUR five or six? Because there should be TWO dice.

Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which page is the example you're referring to?

Anyways, the Action die used to move the FSP is added to the Hunt AFTER the Hunt, so it will affect future Hunts this turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pavelich
Norway
Nordfjordeid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

That was something I also wondered about because I thought that the rules were supposed to read: added after the MOVE. It's nice to know that the rules are correct there.

The example I am referring to is on page 19 under the heading: "Modifiers to the hunt roll."

I have since realized that the Fellowship can move without using action dice so I guess that is the reason that there can be fewer dice....

Is that right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pavelich
Norway
Nordfjordeid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:

...so it will affect future Hunts this turn.

If I don't move the Fellowship again then don't I just get my die back? When would there be an opportunity for another hunt?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Faust
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The fellow ship needs a die to move. When moving the sequence is:
- select die to move
- move fellowship
- roll for search
- add die to search pool

This way the search pool has 0 dice when you move the first time, one die when you move the second time which results in +1 on search rolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wapahala wrote:
If I don't move the Fellowship again then don't I just get my die back?

Yes, you get it back.

Wapahala wrote:
When would there be an opportunity for another hunt?

There wouldn't if you only move once per game turn. But sometimes you have to hurry and move more than once per turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wapahala wrote:
If I don't move the Fellowship again then don't I just get my die back?

You'll get your dice back before you roll at the start of the next full turn.

Wapahala wrote:
When would there be an opportunity for another hunt?

Most hunts will be after you move the fellowship, but there are cards which your opponent can play that will let him hunt (most if not all of those can only be played while the Fellowship is revealed).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pavelich
Norway
Nordfjordeid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saltopus wrote:
The fellow ship needs a die to move. When moving the sequence is:
- select die to move
- move fellowship
- roll for search
- add die to search pool

This way the search pool has 0 dice when you move the first time, one die when you move the second time which results in +1 on search rolls.

Thank you for this! I was beginning to think that the rule on page 18 under Multiple Moves was a mistake because it is the ONLY place in the rules that says the die gets placed in the hunt box AFTER the hunt. The 2-3 other places say: "after the ACTION".

I couldn't understand this until after your description which means that the ACTION is the movement PLUS the Hunt.

Again , thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, there is a a card (maybe even more than one) that allows the fellowship to move and since the die to play that card is an event (palantir) and not a character (sword) face it is not added to the hunt pool. However, the SP still rolls for the hunt using the dice that are currently showing in the hunt pool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if a Character die were used to play the card, it would not be added to the Hunt Box, as the die was used to play the card, not to move the Fellowship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.