Subject: Serious question for Canadians rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: reference [+] [View All]
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Watching the Olympics has prompted me to think about something my wife and I have considered in the past: moving to Canada - if not for us, then our kids. My question is: how difficult is it to immigrate to Canada and become a citizen?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaky Ulnas
Canada
Steinbach
Manitoba
flag msg tools
Yet feet that wandering have gone
badge
Turn at last to home afar
mbmb
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/citizenship/become.asp

...are you a native Texan? If yes, then I would suggest Winnipeg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not Canadian, but I'll throw in my toonie anyway.

I moved with my family to Canada in 2000 because of work. There was a very specialized job I was qualified for, so I ended up working there as a professional under NAFTA. Yes, we here in the USA think of NAFTA in terms of jobs going to others, but it does work both ways.

Anyway, I lived in Calgary for 5 years. I really liked it there. Nice people, nice place, nice country, nice fishing...but in the end decided that we would be better off back home in the USA. I never applied for permanent residence in Canada nor citizenship, but I did have a son born while there who has dual citizenship now. I did have discussions at times and look at the paperwork, though. There was a points system in place depending on your education, profession, fluency in English and French, etc. My company would gladly have helped me through the process and paid the fees. Many people I know who did immigrate to Canada did so through a company that sponsored them because of a specific job.

You can get more info from the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp

Also, it hasn't been updated for a long time, but The American's Guide to Canada is awesome. It's worth checking out.

http://americansguide.ca/

Feel free to Geekmail me if you have any questions from my perspective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Um, just a curiosity why would you want to leave the states and move here... how would it be better for your kids if not you? Don't get me wrong... I love Canada... it's just I've never seriously thought about moving elsewhere... I mean Canada is my home country like the states I assume is yours and your kin... where is the attraction.

As far as how hard... don't know. I guess following the links thus provided would be a good idea on what to expect. If you do decide to come up and become Canucks... then let me be amongst the first to wish you welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
mbourgeois wrote:
Um, just a curiosity why would you want to leave the states and move here... how would it be better for your kids if not you? Don't get me wrong... I love Canada... it's just I've never seriously thought about moving elsewhere... I mean Canada is my home country like the states I assume is yours and your kin... where is the attraction.

As far as how hard... don't know. I guess following the links thus provided would be a good idea on what to expect. If you do decide to come up and become Canucks... then let me be amongst the first to wish you welcome.

At the risk of getting this sent to RSP, three broad areas of concern that I don't see changing in the US in the next 40+ years:

- a crushing national debt that my kids will inherit.
- a health care system that, although very good, will continue to spiral up and up in cost, or collapse for all but those who can afford it.
- climate change that will impact the US more - and probably benefit Canada.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike A wrote:
Nice people, nice place, nice country, nice fishing...but in the end decided that we would be better off back home in the USA.

Also just out of curiosity, why did you think you'd be better off moving back and were you after all?

"Better people, better food, better beer,
Why move around our world,
When Eden was so near?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
Mike A wrote:
Nice people, nice place, nice country, nice fishing...but in the end decided that we would be better off back home in the USA.

Also just out of curiosity, why did you think you'd be better off moving back and were you after all?

It was a lot of factors - change in my job situation when the company was bought out, skyrocketing housing and cost of living with the quickly growing population, the age of my kids and ease of moving at the moment, and an excellent job opportunity available in the US. In retrospect over the past 5 years, yes, we have been much better off than we would have been had we stayed. But who knows what the future will bring. It all depends on your own situation.

I'm glad I had the opportunity to live in Canada. It was great. At times I wish I were still there. I still regularly listen to CBC radio shows on podcasts because I much prefer it to NPR and it makes me think I'm still attached somehow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
My question is: how difficult is it to immigrate to Canada and become a citizen?

An American buddy of mine from LA did this in the early 90's, and created an FAQ that may help answer some of your questions. He used to have detailed notes up about the move, itself, especially the difficult things like importing cars, so you might want to drop him a line if you're serious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Do you like venison Slurpees?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
temazur
Canada
Oshawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
Watching the Olympics has prompted me to think about something my wife and I have considered in the past: moving to Canada - if not for us, then our kids. My question is: how difficult is it to immigrate to Canada and become a citizen?

I found it very easy, but I immigrated as a spouse and not under the point system.

The only hitch I had in my immigration process was that I spent nine months in China teaching English in 2000-20001 and Canada wanted me to have a security check from China. It proved to pretty much be impossible unless I travelled back to China, back to the little town in the middle of nowhere where I taught, and found someone in that office who spoke English who could run it for me. I provided all proof of my attempts to get the document, including bounced emails from the school, the people I taught with, and exchanges with the Chinese embassy in DC, consulate that issued my original visa to go, and the American embassy in Beijing. Immigrations deemed that proof enough of a "clear and insurmountable obstacle" and waived the requirement. Had I only been in the country for six months instead of nine, I wouldn't have needed it at all. The whole thing slowed up the process by about four months.

Tracy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
My question is: how difficult is it to immigrate to Canada and become a citizen?

Kind of easy really. My father entered Canada as an illegal immigrant almost 10 years ago. After 6 years there he entered the immigration process and after 1 year got his citizenship. Canada is the second choice in places for me to live (Norway been first)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.