Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D Jenner
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mb
Are random number draws returned to the cup immediately or after all checks have been resolved? For example, in a decent sized firefight you can have five or more chits drawn per side. Do you draw all chits and resolve the attacks before returning the chits or do you return them after each pull?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gottardo Zancani
Italy
Milano
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is not a strict rule for this: i normally place the chits on all the units/enemies that requires an activation and then i put the chits back when i need to start a new activation. This reduce the overall randomization but makes possible a very quick resolution of the combat: when you have 8/10 units activated this is probably the more efficient way to proceed. One of the reasons in using the chits instead of the dice is this quick activation mechanism: rolling a dice is more "noisy" and requires more attention (=time) to place the dice.

Zak

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Jenner
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the insight. I have a some small concern about it curving the results a bit too much, as in effect if too many team members do really well (pull 6s) then perforce others must do worse. However as you say it does speed things up a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb
A good topic for the game.

There are some other ideas on the "Some questions/ideas" thread.

meanwhile, we play :-

- put the chit back after every pull, except
- during the "Action points allocation" step of the combat phase when the chits stay on every unit until after the "Attack Resoluion" phase. - adds some excitement, and makes like, if your team draws all 6s 5s you are making a strong attack and your enemy is going to panic; when you pull all 1s, 2s, your attack is weak and your enemy is more likely to take advantage and give you a kicking - adds a new level of excitement, and makes combat feel more realistic.

Also: pulling tiles from a bag is better than paper chits in a cup.

If you have a scrabble set use :-

3 letter "I"s for number 1
3 letter "T"s for number 2
3 letter "E"s for number 3
3 letter "R"s for number 4
3 letter "S"s for number 5
3 letter "G"s for number 6
1 letter "O" for zero
1 letter "X" for the "+"

( or whatever combo works best for you ! or deface them if you prefer..stick the paper copies to the scrabble tiles ? )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi E
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first game of this last night. I decided to use dice instead of drawing the chits. This is how i did it:

For every random required, I rolled a 20-sided die (d20) and a 6 sided die (d6). If the d20 had either a one or a twenty, then I treated it as if I had drawn a 0 (for d20 roll of one) or a "+" (for a d20 roll of 20). If the d20 resulted in something else, then I just used whatever the number the d6 had. I had several d6's on the table and I would put the d6 I had just rolled on the player card as if it were a chit. It helped that I had a lot of d6's and a few d20's from my D&D days.

Since there are 20 chits, the d20 served as an equivalent chance of drawing the two special chits.

It is a pretty cool game. I'm a sucker for a sci-fi theme (the art and graphic design is very good), and since it's a solitaire game I don't have to try to convince anyone to play it with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.