BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Gonna get Small World - should I grab the expansions too? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Z.
United States
California
flag msg tools
I've been reading about the game Small World from Days of Wonder and I've decided to purchase it. I'm wondering if I should go ahead and get one or more of the expansions while I'm at it, to save on shipping costs or just so I can learn the game with everything from the start.

Any thoughts on which expansions are must-haves?

Thanks for any help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansions add variety to the mix of races and powers, so they make sense if you're going to be playing the game a lot. Kind of hard to tell that before you try it with your group, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taras Vercesuks
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both expansions add some new races and special powers - which is good if you like Small World and play it more or less often. So I would say got for it and thrown in both of them.

In highly unlikely case that your group gonna disqualify Small World you are not risking with big amount as these mini-expansions are rather cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
It entirely depends on how much you expect to play it. The game "as packaged" is good for numerous plays without significant repetition

Without some knowledge of what games you like to play and whether your game group will play a single game numerous times in a row or simply add it to a rotation, I can't make a call. My gut says, just go with the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
ruleroftheuniverse wrote:
I'm wondering if I should go ahead and get one or more of the expansions while I'm at it, to save on shipping costs or just so I can learn the game with everything from the start.
Neither expansion changes the rules so learning the game with or without them is pretty much the same. All they do is add more options. Of the two I'd say I prefer Grand Dames, but both are good and inexpensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definite "yes"

I just faced the same decision and bought them both and it was a good call.

They are able to be intergrated effortlessly and add good variety

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How much are you talking about paying for them?

For a couple sheets of counters, I don;t call $10 cheap.

Compared to the base game, they are inarguably overpriced, by a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely say buy the expansion right from the start. This way you can mix them in and have a larger variety right from the first game. Now you will have a lesser chance of getting bored of a specific race or characteristic.

Small world is on my to get list and I was planning on getting the expansions at the same time. That is usually my pattern for any game. Get everything associated with the game at once to keep it exciting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Z.
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thanks folks. I'll get the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.