Dungeon Run» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules Question or two... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leigh Shepherd
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just printed this off and assembling it. Before i start playing, a rules question struck me.

When laying out the tiles it states you should discard tiles that wont fit into a particular space. This would strike me as a quick way to get to the boss faster, unless of course, the intention is that discarded cards get recycled somehow?

Otherwise, you could form a space where only an L shaped tile would fit after laying only 4 normal tiles

Am I right to assume you have to go through all 12 of the other rooms before facing the boss?

(edited to remove my rubbish attmept at an example)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Bistro
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Leigh,

Your first assumption is correct - a person could force a Boss encounter early in the game. This is generally suicidal however as your hero really needs treasure and advanced ratings to be able to win. It is often in a player's best interest to try and maximize how much dungeon is encountered prior to taking on the Boss.

Discarded Dungeon Tiles are never reshuffled when the deck runs out - once the deck is depleted only the big bad remains.

Thanks for your question!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Shepherd
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent! That's good to know, and good for the purposes of adding another factor to consider in the game! Glad my sneaky mind was working along the right lines, even if the outcome may have been a little brutal... :)

Now, I did call this thread a question or two, so heres number 2!

Once you've "cleared" a tile, do you reroll for encounters if you go back on yourself? I'm not sure theres any incentive to go back on yourself at present (though again, if you can manufacture a turn that will lead you to the boss, maybe you'd head back to it once you feel strong enough!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Bistro
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you only roll to generate Treasure and Encounter Cards when a tile is first placed. Sometimes a player will want to double back to face a Monster they fled from previously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Shepherd
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers - that makes sense too.

Only a couple more, and im sure I know the answers...

A failed escape means a free attack, so thats presumably the monster rolls attack dice and you dont get to "fight" any off with your own dice rolls. Armour and shield still impacts on this roll though?

Armour roll only stops a hit if its the same number as the monsters roll, rather than exceeding the monsters defense, yes?

Goodly trait of priest and elf means I can remove 2 wounds after a battle - so I can still only remove 1 wound after successfully disarming a trap?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Bistro
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leigh Shepherd wrote:
A failed escape means a free attack, so thats presumably the monster rolls attack dice and you dont get to "fight" any off with your own dice rolls. Armour and shield still impacts on this roll though?

Correct.

Leigh Shepherd wrote:
Armour roll only stops a hit if its the same number as the monsters roll, rather than exceeding the monsters defense, yes?

This is an excellent question. The rule for Blocking is:

Any die rolls that either equal or exceed the
Monster's Defense Rating, or that match one of
the Hits scored by the Monster, can be allocated to
Block a Hit.

So the technical answer to your question is no. However I've been thinking armor is a wee bit too effective, so in the future I might change the wording to match your interpretation above.

Leigh Shepherd wrote:
Goodly trait of priest and elf means I can remove 2 wounds after a battle - so I can still only remove 1 wound after successfully disarming a trap?

Correct.

Thanks for all the questions Leigh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Shepherd
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wizards thrown up a question - if he rests and tries to use magic to get more wounds removed but fails, does he still get to remove 1 wound, or does he lose out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Bistro
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry Leigh, I missed this post. Mend is done in place of a normal Rest Action, so in the case of failure no Wound Counters are removed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Minkoff
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
Dum, Dum, Dum dum dum, Dum!
badge
"Money isn't everything, but it's a tie-breaker in Power Grid!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Healing: Is the only way to heal resting immediately after a battle? Is there no way to rest any other time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malechi
United States
Clearlake
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
At the current time the Healing Potion is the only other way besides Resting after battle. However, I have suggested a Recuperate Rule that is currently being playtested by Mr. Bistro. Whether or not this is a viable rule has yet to be determined ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Bistro
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may also Rest after successfully disarming a Trap. If pressed you can use the Advance action to fully heal yourself, and the third expansion will also give players the option to use the Advance action to add 1 to their Life Rating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malechi
United States
Clearlake
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
See ... That's why I shouldn't even try to answer questions concerning Dungeon Run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Stoltenberg
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mrbistro wrote:
You may also Rest after successfully disarming a Trap. If pressed you can use the Advance action to fully heal yourself, and the third expansion will also give players the option to use the Advance action to add 1 to their Life Rating.

Played this for the first time this evening, enjoyed it greatly! But after reading this post I went back and reread the rules. Under the heading of Advance it states:

"Heroes can learn from their experiences in a dungeon,
and become stronger and wiser. The magic-soaked
dungeon ramps that learning up to super-powered
levels! The advance action lets a hero discard any
2 encounter cards in his loot pile to place a training
marker by his hero card. Each training marker boosts
1 of a hero’s ratings by 1 point. You cannot boost your
life rating. In addition, a hero using an advance action
draws 2 ability cards and chooses 1 to place by his hero
card, discarding the other. Discarded ability cards
are never reshuffled back into their deck – when an
ability deck runs out, there are simply no more cards
to draw. Note: The dungeon boss card counts as
2 encounter cards for the purpose of advancing."

There is no mention of healing wounds in this section. Is it something that I missed elsewhere in the rulebook, or is it from a older, now revised rule, and no longer applies??

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Vajcovec
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rabiddwarf wrote:
There is no mention of healing wounds in this section. Is it something that I missed elsewhere in the rulebook, or is it from a older, now revised rule, and no longer applies??

This entire thread refers to the print and play version, which had different rules. You should play the Plaid Hat Games version according to the rules you quoted from the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Bistro
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BaseTwelve is right. Healing was removed from the Plaid Hat Games version to encourage player interaction, and to keep the endgame dynamic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.