Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Munsch
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got a couple of new games; Alhambra Big Box and Zooloretto. I really enjoyed the first play of Alhambra a lot and the multitude of expansions makes me think it'll have a long life with lots of plays.

Then there's Zooloretto. We got in one play last night, it was a very close game (30 to 31) and I can see that there is some strategy in the choices of what to put on which truck and when to take one but I just don't see a great deal of depth there. Is there really a lot more in the choice of what to put where and other choices that makes this a deeper game than just one play can show?

Do you have great back and forth duels among the people with whom you play Zooloretto? Because I'm trying hard not to feel really disappointed about one of my purchases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zooloretto is more of a family game. If you were looking for lots of depth, then you may be disappointed with the game.

Personally, I prefer Coloretto which has all the difficult choices with none of the frippery but even Coloretto is a light filler...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lott
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct sir, there is nothing there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lo Ma
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
masaakunokouchi wrote:
You are correct sir, there is nothing there.

I totally agree.

As for family games, I've played others I much prefer. Even family games can have something there...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Zooloretto General forum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Tonelli
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I was a little taken aback when I saw the high ranking and sales numbers for this game. Zooloretto is a very nice looking game but offers very little in strategy other than deciding when to take the trucks. I played this game three times and have absolutely no desire to play it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this game quite a lot, and while I agree it is not a deep game, like say Puerto Rico, it is still one of the gems in my collection.

* it is very beautiful to look at (IMHO).
* the theme is very attractive (especially to many non gamers).
* the mechanics are interesting (very different from roll and move).
* there are some light tactical decisions (wrt chooing actions, placing tiles, when to take trucks).
* there is some light strategic planning (wrt when to expand, whether to go for babies or shops, which animals to major in).
* it has that nice Euro quality that "my zoo is my castle" and what I have built is mine and pretty much safe (cf Agricola)
* the zoo theme provides a nice metagame (I mean you can make nice jokes while you play)

I have the Rio Grande "Polar Bear" expansion too, and I like that this deepens the strategic choices a bit. Now there are things you can do to support a "shops" or "babies" or "overfilling" strategy for example.

For all this, I do agree that there is a lot of luck involved, but I don't mind this for a light family game.

Let's focus on the strengths of the game and not criticise it for not being what it's not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thomason
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say there is something more...
I personally felt the same way the first couple times I played it. It wasn't a favorite of mine for a very long time. My nephews and nieces didn't like it either.

After many plays, I'm finding unexpectedly that it is growing on me quite a bit. As we've gotten more experience, the simple strategies of trying to balance out which truck with what animals so that you can afford to buy and sell the ones in the barn... it's actually more complex than you think, trying to out-guess your opponent's breaking point, as to when they'll just take that truck you wanted for yourself...

Anyway, I don't know for sure that you'll find it so yourself, but I didn't really have this as a favorite by any means for at least the first 5-6 games - sometime around 10-12 (and a few years) I really started to dig it more. Just thought I'd add in that differing opinion.

But yeah, it's not super-deep, it's definitely a family game. I have the first mini expansion and it's pretty good to mix in; I'm planning on adding Aquaretto or one of the others soon for a little more variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Aquaretto&Zooloretto>Aquaretto>Zooloretto

That being said, if you only have two players, you probably won't like any of them. The game(s) shines quite a bit more with more players.

The third game I'd put in this family (mechanics, not theme) is California, whose subtle differences I happen to like over the other games, even given its interior decorating theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.